It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:49 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm new here lol.. I have some questions but first I suppose I'll tell a bit of my story.. I became addicted to opiates after the father of my 3 year old daughter passed away.. I also have rhumatoid arthritis, resulting in chronic pain, further resulting in more self medication.. I recently discovered suboxone.. And I really would like to get set up with a sub doctor&into counseling, to get my life back.. My main question is, I guess, do you have to go to detox/rehab to even get into a suboxone doctor? I cant afford, nor can I miss work ect. to go to rehabilitation for 30 days.. I live in Illinois.. I know there ARE drs in this area I just don't know the ins&outs of all this.. Hopefully someone can help me..

Last edited by kar.ma.marie123 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Marie,

Welcome to the forum!

The answer to your question is no, you do not have to go through rehab to get on suboxone legally. :D That is one of the huge benefits to suboxone treatment in a doctors office. Since you have already discontinued your DOC and started on subs, you should be able to make your appointment and go straight onto the subs with your own prescription. Be honest with your doctor, tell them you have already started them on your own, and need to get into treatment legally. Trust me, they probably see this all the time, and you won't be questioned about where you obtained them.

I'm so happy for you that you have made the decision to seek treatment. It's the first step in a long journey, good luck!

Qhorsegal2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:09 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you!! I deleted that part of my post cause I wasnt sure if this site would have been okay with me saying all of that lol. That really is a huge relief.. I'm so glad this medicine exists.. Its a miracle.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

:lol: It's ok, you can be honest here.

You're welcome, and I hope you find a good doctor very soon! Just a tip, I would look for a doctor who will be okay with you tapering only when you are ready. Alot of doctors seem to want to place a time limit on treatment, and it doesn't always fit with what an individual needs. It's so much easier without being pressured.

Q

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:33 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

There's a psychiatrist I have in mind that I have seen for anxiety&PTSD (my daughter's dad was murdered in a robbery/home invasion which left me with a panic disorder, night terrors, stress level through the roof ect.) &I just found out he's liscensed for suboxone.. Also he works at the Human Service Center and as far as I know they help people who can't afford their medication by lowering costs or offering free medicine instead of writing scripts. So I think I'll contact him. The reason I thought I HAD to go to rehab is because when I first decided I wanted to kick the demon I went to my local detox center&the assessment nurses told me that there is virtually NO way to get on suboxone unless you detox with them for 5 days, get on a wait list for approx. a month, then do 30 days of inpatient, THEN get on another wait list for the Freedom Program, an IL state funded suboxone program. I was confused&felt like this would leave me pretty much screwed, because from the 5 day detox on they expect you to stay clean and not relapse at all otherwise you start the program all over..

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:43 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey whats up this is my first post here but I've been a long time lurcher around these forums just never got around to joining...I've been BACK on subs now for about 10 months @8mg/day, one 8mg strip taken in the morning. Previously when I was on it (I was off sub for about 2-3 months ~1 year ago after being on for a year and a half @4mg, then relapsed HARD and ended up in the ER in la for 10 DAYS, it was not pretty...safe to say, I decided to go back on subs...) I did a lot of beating myself up for being on the sub progam. In part for sure it was due to my now ex normie gf who made me feel like I was still not fully "there" as long as I was on suboxone. Let me be the one to say that that is total, utter BULL SHIT. DO NOT let anyone tell you this. DO NOT trick yourself into believing it, ever. Ok, ya, suboxone is addictive... insofar as practically every pill or drug or med or whatever, out there, will cause problems when taken for a long period of time and then if discontinued improperly. Personally, I don't have any side effects from the 8mg/day dose which I currently take, which is a pretty fat dose of bupe. I say to people, "Try taking Prozac for a year and then stop it cold turkey,"... a lot of people don't know about SSRI w/d, for example, which is a MAJOR F*CKIN PROBLEM!!! If the meds help, then ok they help, but lets be real people, just because the drug isn't any good (this is imo) doesn't mean its any safer really. For me suboxone really helps in an overall way. It has an antidepressant effect in me (I never have gone above 8mg in a day...) that is SO much more effective, noticeable, apparent, etc than with any other so called "anti depressants" I've tried, and I've tried several over the years. Also, the blockade effects produced by suboxone are truly unique. In my experience subs block the effects of both opiates AND alcohol. I was a BAD drinker and still want to feel that nice warm cozy fuzzy alcohol feeling but after MANY MANY MANY attempts, which I hope by this post to maybe save you guys from insanely experimenting, I've finally come to realize that "I can't get drunk on subs." This is a fact. I've drunk a half a 5th of 80 proof vodka in less than an hour and only got a little tired, wobbly and dizzy and felt like shit and didnt sleep well and then felt kinda shitty the next day...needless to say it was NOT worth it, sadly. I bet my bottom dollar that in the years to come, this connection will be more and more illuminated and alcoholics will be prescribed sub. It might already be happening off label among "in the know" docs. I would drink if I could get drunk...the reason I don't drink anymore is because I finally put the two and two together and, well I can't drink :(. Kinda sucks, but I'll take it ~. I don't need to be drinking anymore, I don't need to be getting "f*cked up," I just need to maintain and survive. Shit sorry for that rant, back to Illinois my home state, its pretty easy to get started, you can go to google and put in "Suboxone doctors, ____(your city)" or you can go directly to the suboxone.com site and theres a spot for you to put in your zip code right there and it'll bring up the closest docs. As for the laws, suboxone is a schedule 3 med which is a kinda strange one, so you can get refills, phone ins, its less strict than a schedule 2 straight opiate, its a million times better than going the methadone route IMO-- i know for some small group of people bupe just doesn't cut it and they need a pure agonist, ie methadone, but if you have any control over the matter trust me go for suboxone, it is a hell of a lot easier on you than methadone...and go for as small a dose as possible...my doctor in Illinois would have no problem having me on like 24mg a day, but I myself know that for me anything over 8mg is absolutely overkill, and even 8mg is too much and I want to cut it, I got the strips only pretty recently, use to get the pills which I would break in half or into quarters, for some reason I just mentally find it hard to break up the strips? IDk why... its one of my goals for the next few months to gradually try and get it down to a half, ie. 4mg/day, as in the past, that was the "magic number" for me. No real side effects, however, to speak of, from 8mg. I'm a 27 year old male. Oh and I was drug tested once while on subs and I did not disclose that I take it, and there were no problems, the test came back as negative for opiates. So find a doc, get a script, and start up the program, its a great medication, big help if you want or need to get your life together.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for your reply&welcome to the forum!!
I am not having much luck finding a sub doc, on a 4-6 month wait list.. I've tried multiple routes but idk maybe I need some type of referral or something cause I just can't seem to get in anywhere.. I am very upset&down lately.. Just want my life back&it seems like there is so much stigma with all this that those who can help dont care.. *sigh*