It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:24 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

I am a strong advocate of not drinking and driving. Being in the legal field with the primary focus on criminal law, I have seen drinking and driving ruin the lives of so many people that I have lost count.

This is a compilation of some commercials that were aired in Australia. The United States doesn't have the balls to air it because it's "too graphic" but unfortunately, it's all too real.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2mf8DtWWd8&p=69602FD8D7631429&playnext=1&index=1[/youtube]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:09 pm 
Thank you for posting that Libra! Graphic....indeed....but so very disturbingly REAL!
I remember caring for a patient in ICU who was a victim of a pedestrian hit and run by a drunk driver. She was waiting at a bus stop, was within about 6 weeks of full-term pregnant, so a viable fetus. She was hit by a drunk driver who fled the scene, but was later caught. This poor sweet gal was lucky to have survived. Her fetus, however, did not survive. Her injuries were extensive.....baby died probably within minutes as the mother's injuries caused a complete placental abruption, so basically baby bled to death in the mom's uterus. Sadly, when these things happen, often the baby must be left inside until delivery happens spontaneously....which usually doesn't take long as the injuries and bleeding causes labor to progress quickly. It was a heartbreaking thing to be involved in. Her husband was devastated. We kept the mom appropriately medicated, but it was still just gut wrenching. This baby was perfect....beautiful, just a little bit premature, not a mark on it her.....just looked like she should take a breath and cry. We all cried and cried with them. What a senseless, horrific event! A little life gone before she could ever feel the arms of mom or dad around her.....just gone! That was a bad day at the office. Thankfully Mom recovered and went on to have other children, but nothing could ever replace what they lost that day.
That happened before I became addicted to drugs. Now I think about how many times I got behind the wheel just absolutely f.....ed up to the gills. Many times I arrived home with no recall of how I got there. Thank you God, for not letting me kill or hurt anyone. Because I so easily could have! Not proud moments.
I think we shoudl have PSAs (I think that's what they're called) like that. Maybe it would make just one person think twice about the possible consequences of driving under the influence.
Sidenote: I always told my kids that I'd rather that they not drink or use drugs of any kind. However, I promised them that they would never be 'in trouble' for calling me any time day or night to come pick them up if they had been 'partying'. I told them there would be few to no questions asked if they did that. Conversely, I told them that if they did arrive home under the influence having driven home.....their cars would be taken from them for a very, very long time! Guess they got it because it never happened!
Anyway...thanks for taking the time to share that. Such tragic things happen every day because of the poor judgment that these stinkin drugs and alcohol give us!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Man that vid just ruined my day. To think about it is just scary cause its all to real. I ride 10 miles a day on my Bike and this is something that is always in the back of mind. But after seeing this vid i think im gonna start useing the bike path more.

I def use to drive home drunk every night when i was young and dumb. i was one of those kids that would say i drive better drunk to be cool. But then i got in a serious car accident sober thank god no body was hurt. but after seeing my car in the day light the next day i never drove drunk again. what really did it was my mom crying thinking that she almost lost me coming up to the accident when see saw my car. And this happen to me when i was sober if i was drunk god knows what would of happen. oh and this was on xmas night. a girl basiclly ran a red light and tboned me my car. did a 360 into a tell a phone poll all the back windows blew out air bags went off. the saying when you get a in a accident the whole world slows down into slow motion is very true luckily i was sober to brace myself cause i didnt have my seat belt on so i just grabed the wheel and shifter as tight as i could and only ended up with a gold ball bump on my head.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:42 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

setmefree wrote:
Thank you for posting that Libra! Graphic....indeed....but so very disturbingly REAL!
I remember caring for a patient in ICU who was a victim of a pedestrian hit and run by a drunk driver. She was waiting at a bus stop, was within about 6 weeks of full-term pregnant, so a viable fetus. She was hit by a drunk driver who fled the scene, but was later caught. This poor sweet gal was lucky to have survived. Her fetus, however, did not survive. Her injuries were extensive.....baby died probably within minutes as the mother's injuries caused a complete placental abruption, so basically baby bled to death in the mom's uterus. Sadly, when these things happen, often the baby must be left inside until delivery happens spontaneously....which usually doesn't take long as the injuries and bleeding causes labor to progress quickly. It was a heartbreaking thing to be involved in. Her husband was devastated. We kept the mom appropriately medicated, but it was still just gut wrenching. This baby was perfect....beautiful, just a little bit premature, not a mark on it her.....just looked like she should take a breath and cry. We all cried and cried with them. What a senseless, horrific event! A little life gone before she could ever feel the arms of mom or dad around her.....just gone! That was a bad day at the office. Thankfully Mom recovered and went on to have other children, but nothing could ever replace what they lost that day.
That happened before I became addicted to drugs. Now I think about how many times I got behind the wheel just absolutely f.....ed up to the gills. Many times I arrived home with no recall of how I got there. Thank you God, for not letting me kill or hurt anyone. Because I so easily could have! Not proud moments.
I think we shoudl have PSAs (I think that's what they're called) like that. Maybe it would make just one person think twice about the possible consequences of driving under the influence.
Sidenote: I always told my kids that I'd rather that they not drink or use drugs of any kind. However, I promised them that they would never be 'in trouble' for calling me any time day or night to come pick them up if they had been 'partying'. I told them there would be few to no questions asked if they did that. Conversely, I told them that if they did arrive home under the influence having driven home.....their cars would be taken from them for a very, very long time! Guess they got it because it never happened!
Anyway...thanks for taking the time to share that. Such tragic things happen every day because of the poor judgment that these stinkin drugs and alcohol give us!

Well, that's the SECOND time today you have made me cry! Stop it already! Image

Jus kiddin'.... I'm weepy today for some reason. I need to go smoke and dry my eyes. That IS a sad story. That poor, poor family. I hope that woman was able to have kids again....

Okay, going to smoke and dry my eyes. Setmefree? You owe me two laughs. LOL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

When I was 4 years old, my 3 year old sister bled to death on the car seat next to me after a drunk driver smashed into the car we were traveling in with our mother and a piece of metal pierced her carotid artery. The look on her face as she expired has been etched into my memory and is with me every minute of every day and will be with me until I suck in my last breath on this planet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:18 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Moments like that Junkie, unfortunately, will stay with you the rest of your life.... vividly. I found my boss (another judge) who was also one of my best friends, dead of a massive cardiac arrest. I will never EVER get that visual of him laying there dead out of my head.....

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:35 pm 
Yea sorry to hear that junkie, hopefully that guy who was drunk was punished severely for that. The real fucked up thing is that I bet the law doesnt want people to stop driving drunk because of all the money they rake in from it. That might not be true its just how I feel after sitting in court yesterday and watching all the DUI cases go up in front of the judge. Aside from fines DUI's arent punished very severely its just like "oh ok if you have all this money to pay me your free to go" and the fact that its a misdemeanor kind of boggles my mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

junkie781 wrote:
When I was 4 years old, my 3 year old sister bled to death on the car seat next to me after a drunk driver smashed into the car we were traveling in with our mother and a piece of metal pierced her carotid artery. The look on her face as she expired has been etched into my memory and is with me every minute of every day and will be with me until I suck in my last breath on this planet.

wow junkie im so sorry to hear that. your post brought tears to my eyes cause this is the one thing that chokes me up everytime i hear about a drunk driver hitting a car with lil kids in it well anyone in it. It just drives me nuts to think of how easy america has made it to get booze. i litterally can walk to 6 different stores with in 5 minutes of my house for beer and they wonder why there are so many DWIs because booze is every were in this country. i mean shit every other commercial now a days is about some type of beer or liquer!

I Know so many people would call me crazy or make fun of me. BUT IM GONNA BE 100% HONEST i dont think there is a single 21 year old that is ready to start drinking leagally. All i know is you just are not grownup at that point in life and i truely think the leagal age should be at least 25!

I mean i cant tell you how many kids would end up in the hospital at my buddys dorms every friday night from drinking to much. Or how many got arrested, i mean how many bad storys have we all heard of drinking and college?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Wow. I share all this in the sense of sharing what alcohol
can do to lives.

I really freakin' hate alcohol. I get sickeningly angry sometimes when I
realize that I mite want to adjust my mood by adding a certain chemical
but the only one really LEGAL is alcohol.

a. hate the smell taste and texture

b. don't like the effect

c. would rather smoke a joint

d. My last girlfriend was a bad alcoholic, a couple pints or more
of hard liquor a day: added to the fact the she had about 25%
liver function and was severely bulemic. She died at the age
32 about a year after we broke up.

Take my childhood, I grew up around a chronic abusive alcoholic step
father. I have seen every ugly fucking corner of alcohol use and it
all sucks ass. My g/f had already lost her license before we met
so I didn't have so deal with her driving, but she still killed
herself. In the end she got bloated like a whale, her liver could
not make proteins or something because it was gone and she
was bleeding out her ass, ears, eyes and other places.

It took me a long time to adjust to being on the post end of
such a sad situation. I tried my damnedest to help her. I
got her in detox a few times only because she was collapsing.
When this would happen I would frequently lose her pulse
like her heart would start and stop and start and stop and
so on.

Her birthday was this last november the 5th, I cried alot that
day. This video made me tear up.