It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 782 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 40  Next
 Post subject: Re: DOING IT!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Trainer, thanks for the post on my thread- you are probably right about work being on my mind (the sneezes though I don't think are work related- lol- and STILL sneezing today- just "weird" as I don't have a cold??)

NOW, here is something for YOU!!

Yummmmm!! Baaaacon!!! You are getting extremely hungry for lot and LOTS of greasy, delicious BACON!!

lol
BF

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 167.61 KiB | Viewed 517 times ]

Mahatma Gandhi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

LMAO! NICE TRY BF!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Call me ninja! I was able to sneak by 3 sleeping dogs, go downstairs, go outside, come back in and sneak right past them again. Not easy! Hahaha

been a rainy, chilly, lame day here. Rented a movie that absolutely sucked. Dont rent Beneath. Its stooopid!!!!!!!!! I am a huge horror genre movie fan and have yet to rent a good one. The preview looked good but the preview was the best part of the movie because it was only 2 minutes long!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ok, I wasn't tripping, I did see a bacon picture, just not on my thread. You're diabolical, BF, but you're efforts come too late, just took a selfie of my abs. I win.

Attachment:
my abs.png
my abs.png [ 35.75 KiB | Viewed 498 times ]

Ok, that's not a picture of me, just messing with you (and preparing you for failure). Two can play at psy-ops.

-- ji

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey, you or not you, pic much appreciated JI!!! Now THAT'S "yummy", right Trainer?? lol

Mahatma Gandhi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:32 pm 

Romeo wrote:
Whose flabby arm is in that pic above? :lol:

Amy, was it really necessary to tell us about Aunt Flow? Like I'm not in enough therapy already?

I'm sorry, Romes! I probably should have said 4 weeks a year riding the cotton pony!

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Trainer somehow I missed ur bicep pic on the last page, looking good.

-- ji

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Amy-Work In Progress wrote:
Romeo wrote:
Whose flabby arm is in that pic above? :lol:

Amy, was it really necessary to tell us about Aunt Flow? Like I'm not in enough therapy already?

I'm sorry, Romes! I probably should have said 4 weeks a year riding the cotton pony!

Amy

What is wrong with you people? *Romeo dials up his counselor to schedule extra counseling sessions*

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well today has been a doozy! Got a call at work from the hospital. My husband went there today because his leg ballooned up to 3x its normal size, was extremely painful and hot to the touch. He had been complaining past 2 days that it felt funny and hurt. He would come home from work and it would be really puffy. Long story short, he has a blood clot in his calf. No idea how that happened. He is extremely active, eats a low fat healthy diet and is in good health. Anyways, I leave work, grab my stepson and head to the hospital to get him. They gave him blood thinners, anti inflammatory meds and other scripts (he refused to be admitted). So, the stepson drives him and his truck home and I head to the pharmacy. I get all his stuff, get in the car and look at the scripts. All the meds were in one bag and the paperwork was stapled to the outside. Skimming through to make sure the blood thinner was there I see "oxycodone". Yeah, I was in the car with a bottle of 20 percocets. Funny thing is, I had no thought or desire to even open the bag. I started the car and drove home. I get inside the house and hand him the bag. I told him they gave him percs for the pain. He would never take them, he doesn't believe in narcotic pain pills for anything other than major surgery. He said he didn't want them, I asked him if he was sure ibuprofen would cut it and he saidyes, so I walked into the bathroom, opened the bottle and poured all 20 in the toilet and flushed. Didn't bother me one bit. We actually joked about it and I said "ya know, 8 years ago I would of stole every one of those out of that bottle", to which he replied "ya but that was then, this is now".

Here's to small victories........

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow Trainer,

You and your hubs make a good pair, you both seem stubborn in your own ways. I would have stayed in the hospital for a few if they wanted to admit me, to play it safe, but that's just me. I hope the take home meds do the trick for him, that sounds a little scary. I probably don't even have to say this, but keep a close eye on him for improvement, like you do your animal rescues - plus some - and if anything doesn't "seem right" to your intuition, insist he go back! Not to be alarmist, but don't want him losing his leg or something worse, if there are more complications. It's really weird that he got that since his physicals always check out well. My most recent one was especially good in heart and circulatory dep't. In fact, the PN was marveling at how low my bad cholesterol was, said its best she's ever seen, and my good cholesterol was up. I attribute it to a diet that's mostly vegetarian (seafood occasionally, and definitely no red meat or pork), bike riding/cardio, and I take LOTS of fish oil for the Omega-3s, double what it recommends on the bottle. My motivation for the Omega-3s is mostly for the natural mood stabilization effect that research has shown it to be good for (I consider it medication for bipolar disorder: "Let food be thy medicine, and let medicine be thy food." ~ Hippocrates, Father of Western Medicine), but it has had some additional side benefits as well! I'm also hoping it is helping with my shoulder mending. But anyway, that really sucks. It seems health has a lot to do with luck. Some people who do everything right health-wise, end up getting seriously ill, and sometimes people who abuse the hell out themselves (bad diet, too much alcohol/drugs, smoking, sedentary lifestyle) live to be 100. Go figure. But still, it def helps to stack the odds in ones favor in anyway they can, and use harm reduction for any lingering bad habits one might have (like using additive free tobacco for example, if one is struggling with smoking).

That's cool story about the Percocets! I can imagine it must've felt good to push on the flush lever and not feel a twinge of regret. It they make it past the waste water treatment facility, or more likely your septic field (judging by stories of where you live), maybe some fish somewhere will be swimming sideways, tho, haha. I read a news report that there are detectable amounts of prozac in ground water, in many places, just from so many people who are, or have been, on it. Probably mostly leeching from septic fields, but who knows what can also get paste urban waste water treatment facilities . The NSAID/ibuprofen, will probably help him more than narcotics would anyway, for any pain, with that condition. Be careful with them tho, its not good to take them regularly for more than a couple weeks they've found, sometime since the advent of them (primarily ibuprofen, after going OTC) and now, into the pharma marketplace.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks boop. Yeah I was pretty upset he checked out AMA and absolutely refused to entertain the idea of even just staying the night. Blood clots are not something to mess with but he's a grown man who wont be told what to do (stubborn jackass sometimes). He then says "I think its shoulder night at the gym, I can't miss shoulders". I DID tell him he wasn't going to the gym. Period. He tries to be unscathed by stuff but I told him that shit could travel to his heart and kill him instantly and heaven doesn't have a gym. Damn muscle head that he is. Lmao. That sank in and he is resting on the sofa with his leg elevated. No gym tonight or the rest of the week for him.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Trainer- wow you certainly have had a doozy of a day to say the least! So sorry to hear about your husband- at least he is listening to you about the gym...and I agree of course with Boop and also know you are smart enough to keep a close eye on him...

And "wow wow" (double wow!!!) that you flushed the opiates without any struggle!! That is a HUGE victory girl!! And I think you should take yourself out for a HUGE ice cream sundae with bacon to CELEBRATE! Hell, have two or three!!! :mrgreen:
Seriously though, great job- I'm proud of you!!
:D BF

Mahatma Gandhi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

IDK, reading about clots, clogged arteries, etc tonight, bacon now scares me! Lol

I did indulge in a few mini kitkat bars at cvs. I got my stepson a bag of mini ones and tore into it while waiting on the meds. Haha I havent had chocolate in so long, I couldn't resist! I love kitkat bars :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

As for the perc flush, I am proud I didn't even hesitate to dump them in the "loo"! The bag was stapled shut with all the med sheets attached and when I saw the sheet for the percs, I actually dropped the bag onto the passenger seat like it was contaminated. Hahaha maybe I subconsciously thought if I held it to long I would get contaminated too. Lmao

I thought I did see a look on my hubs face like "we can't have these in the house", but not sure if it was just myself projecting that on him or not. Either way, I knew he wouldn't take them. He doesn't like meds like that and has never experimented with drugs. He has never even tried pot when in high school and all his friends smoked it. Kinda ironic he married an addict. When we first got together and started getting serious I was totally honest with him about my run with oxycontin and my subsequent use of subs. Sort of surprised me he chose to stay in the relationship after knowing how he felt about drug use. His cousin died of a heroin overdose when he was a teen (my hubs, the cousin was older). They were never close but the devastation to his family and aunt/uncle stayed with him and he made a choice and decision to never go that route. Instead, he chose to be a straight arrow, get married and have kids. His marriage ended badly and his ex is CRAZY! Hahaha not a nice person to say the least.

anyhow, lucky for me he didn't run when I told him about my past. He is quite the guy. Although somewhat stubborn!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

trainer14 wrote:
Here's to small victories........

Not exactly a 'small' victory to my eyes, Trainer. It's huge when you're drug of (no) choice is put right in front of you, and there's no desire to use it. For us addicts, we can never just 'choose' not to use, at least not as a long-term sobriety strategy, because we will cave in eventually if there are cravings still in the mix.

But once our obsession is removed, that's when we truly get free. Good for you.

Hope it goes well with your husband, that clot sounds nasty!

-- ji

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:18 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Today I am very sad. The leaves on the trees in my yard are changing color. Nooooooooo! I do love autumn but summer seems so short. What a great summer its been too. Weather was perfect for long stretches. Hopefully there is another month or so of great weather before the chill in the air takes hold!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Leaves changing already? Yikes!

In Toronto, we've had a couple days where it feels like late fall, I've seen people wearing jackets. Normally we get warm weather well into October...then again, what's 'normal' with the weather anymore? I'm just trying to take it as it comes.

-- ji

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

A class full of reactive pitbulls barking, snarling, growling and lunging gave me a headache! 60 minutes of talking to walls is what it felt like tonight. Some owners just don't get it and trying to explain the same thing over and over makes me wanna scream! So ya, that was my night. If I can take their dog's leash, walk them past random dogs to demonstrate handling skills, have the dog calmly walk by their source of reaction, WHY CAN'T THEY?!?!? GAAAAAAAH! sorry, just had to vent.....

so I have fallen in love with a baby conure at work. Wish I could buy him and bring him home but just don't have it in me to train a bird and spend hours ata time with him every day. Honestly, its been really nice not having the greys to look after anymore. Enjoyed them while I had them but parrots are a ton of work and expensive to properly maintain. My finches are easy and go about their day in their little colony needing very little human interaction. If I don't let them out of the aviary for a few days they could care less. My kinda birds :)

I just applied to work as a service dog trainer and train dogs for the blind at a nonprofit 15 minutes from my house. Hoping I get it!!!! No nights, no weekends! Woooohoooooo! Fingers crossed! Been looking for a new job quietly and there has been nothing in my field until today! Saw the post online and jumped at it. More $ and way better hours.

have a good night folks!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:11 pm 

Sometimes I think that Colorado skips fall and goes straight from summer to winter! It is often up in the 80's throughout September and then we'll have an early snow storm. Plus, the slogan for Colorado is "Colorful Colorado". I guess that's true if colorful means yellow!! The aspen leaves in the mountains turn a brilliant yellow in the fall, but that's it! Sure there are a few maple and oak trees in the mature neighborhoods around Denver, but that's nothing! I grew up in Vermont and I get absolutely homesick every autumn. Rant over.

Trainer, you did an awesome job when faced with a bottle of percocet!! This is definitely a time when we should celebrate you and give you big kudos!! It was really your first test! Of course, there will be other tests down the road, but you made it through your first one!

I'm sorry that your husband has a DVT. Those are no joke! I'm glad the hospital caught it. I don't mean to sound scary, but he will need to be careful now after every surgery, especially those that prevent him from walking around afterwards. My mom had a history of DVT and a few years later she had surgery to remove a bone spur from her heel. The doctor did not put her on blood thinners! She died from a massive pulmonary embolism a week later. Talked to her on the phone Monday night and she was gone when my dad found her the next morning. It's devastating to have a relatively young person (she was 59) die so suddenly. So please tell him that if he feels strange at all after a surgery to get to the hospital and be thoroughly scanned. My mom felt like she had a clot and the doctor scanned her calves, but couldn't find any clots. The coroner said that the clot that moved to my mom's lungs was so big that it must have developed somewhere in her pelvis. My best wishes that he recovers quickly and NEVER has to deal with one again!!

Your post made me think about how we dispose of meds. I haven't ever flushed anything down the toilet to get rid of it. I'm not judging it, I've just never done it. Does anyone have a unique way of getting rid of pills? My husband had some hydros after a surgery right after I went on sub. When he didn't need them anymore I had him crush them and mix them with the dirty kitty litter. Does anyone else do that or do you have another method of getting rid of pills? I'm just curious. :)

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

trainer14 wrote:
As for the perc flush, I am proud I didn't even hesitate to dump them in the "loo"! The bag was stapled shut with all the med sheets attached and when I saw the sheet for the percs, I actually dropped the bag onto the passenger seat like it was contaminated. Hahaha maybe I subconsciously thought if I held it to long I would get contaminated too. Lmao

I thought I did see a look on my hubs face like "we can't have these in the house", but not sure if it was just myself projecting that on him or not. Either way, I knew he wouldn't take them. He doesn't like meds like that and has never experimented with drugs. He has never even tried pot when in high school and all his friends smoked it. Kinda ironic he married an addict. When we first got together and started getting serious I was totally honest with him about my run with oxycontin and my subsequent use of subs. Sort of surprised me he chose to stay in the relationship after knowing how he felt about drug use. His cousin died of a heroin overdose when he was a teen (my hubs, the cousin was older). They were never close but the devastation to his family and aunt/uncle stayed with him and he made a choice and decision to never go that route. Instead, he chose to be a straight arrow, get married and have kids. His marriage ended badly and his ex is CRAZY! Hahaha not a nice person to say the least.

anyhow, lucky for me he didn't run when I told him about my past. He is quite the guy. Although somewhat stubborn!

You're stubborn in your own way. :) That's what I meant when I compared you and your husband in that regard. I think it worked in your favor though, with working through the CT from subs after you jumped. As in, except in a few circumstances when you knew you'd be less than useless, you didn't let your WDs get in the way of doing what you needed to do, and even while having your moments, never caved. I imagine your stubborn side has served you well in other ways too. Like when people told you, you weren't 'built' for working with large dogs, yet you showed them wrong and earned all of your certifications. Always remember its a two sided coin though. Your husband being a case in point, with refusing to be admitted. I'm guessing he'll be okay if he follows the doctors discharge orders, and uses the meds (excepting the percs, obviously, which really were probably the only ones that weren't necessary, unless pain is so paid it leads to consecutive nights of insomnia, which can be bad for healing, but like I said, NSAIDs are more effective for that type of pain anyway, in the short term, and have some blood thinning properties as well). And def keep what Amy has said, in mind!

You lucked out in finding such a good, steadfast mate, who stuck with you in spite of your addiction history, given his personal disinclination in that dep't. I hope I can be so lucky in finding a mate, someday, who accepts me for how I am and my history. And It probably worked out well for you during your sub maintenance phase, while putting distance between yourself and the oxycodone, not to have a user, abuser, or active addict, for a mate.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 782 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 40  Next