It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 782 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next
 Post subject: Re: DOING IT!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just realized I am the dullest person on the planet. My evening is so routine, even my dogs know what comes next. If you ever wanna know how boring you are, own german shepherds. They thrive on routine and know exactly what is supposed to happen and when. Deviate from your structured habits and they have a meltdown. "What do you mean we aren't going outside at this exact moment? We ALWAYS go outside right after you clean the finch aviary! ALWAYS! ALWAYS! ALWAYS!". Geez........ like having toddlers.

Have a good night everyone! Off to bed shortly for me. Another opening shift tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So this very awkward thing happened at work today. A couple came Iin wanting to see one of the cats we have available for adoption. I took them into the adoption room and sat on the floor with them while they played with the cat. The guy started talking about the cat that they had who just died. He started bawling right there on the floor and I just couldn't help it and started bawling with him. So there we sat, crying over his dead cat. Geesh! Talk about awkward. I don't even know him and his cat!

Anyways, never a dull moment at my job.......

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Am I remembering right, Trainer, with the rescue animals that died at your place, you didn't get that emotional, like you did with the cat guy?

I'm no expert (except in my head, lol), but I think that drugs can lessen our empathy to other people, we just don't give much of a damn, because we're so focused on ourselves.

But now that we're clean, it's completely different, and maybe we tend to get highly emotional in certain situations. I know I got upset when I heard about the civilian deaths in the Gaza Strip and Israel, and the passenger airplane shot down over the Ukraine. Actually needed to take a moment to collect myself, and remind myself that these things have no personal bearing on my life.

Different for you sitting face-to-face with a grieving customer.

Hope you're having a good day.

-- ji

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

johnny_ikon wrote:
Am I remembering right, Trainer, with the rescue animals that died at your place, you didn't get that emotional, like you did with the cat guy?

I'm no expert (except in my head, lol), but I think that drugs can lessen our empathy to other people, we just don't give much of a damn, because we're so focused on ourselves.

But now that we're clean, it's completely different, and maybe we tend to get highly emotional in certain situations. I know I got upset when I heard about the civilian deaths in the Gaza Strip and Israel, and the passenger airplane shot down over the Ukraine. Actually needed to take a moment to collect myself, and remind myself that these things have no personal bearing on my life.

Different for you sitting face-to-face with a grieving customer.

Hope you're having a good day.

-- ji

Hey Ji and Trainer,
K, I'm "no expert" either, but would love to add my 2 cents here. First, I LOVE that Trainer empathized so completely with the pain of the "customer". Let's take that label away for a sec, and just call him a fellow 'human being"....I think that takes away all the "awkwardness". IMO, unbridled empathy for our fellow humans is the UN-AWKWARD, authentic emotion we ALL should be expressing. Wouldn't the world be a better place if more of us did? I'll bet that "human" left Trainer feeling better than before he met her. I just read a good quote from Mother Teresa, to paraphrase "Always leave a person feeling better than when you met them".
Now JI my dear. :wink: I totally agree we can't become overwhelmed by situations that are seemingly out of our control. But to "pretend" that they have "no personal bearing on our lives" is, IMO, a bit of "denial" and is dangerous. The evil in the world cannot go unchecked by the "light" of the world.
"Evil thrives when good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

IMO, if EACH of us who is blessed to be currently living "in the light" would reach out with love and empathy and to the best of our abilities help those placed directly in our paths, we CAN "change the world"...and our "reach" can eventually extend even as far as Gaza, Israel and the Ukraine.

Peace,
BF

Mahatma Gandhi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PS. In ^^^^, to clarify- To JI, I did not mean that I think you are not doing your part to spread the "light" and remove darkness in the world- it is clear from your posts that you certainly are working to the best of your ability to do just that- and your ability keeps growing! I just meant that I think a certain "awareness" that we each of us can help erase some of the "evil" we see and hear about in the news simply by spreading kindness, love and joy to those in our paths. So, in an indirect way, those "tragedies" can and do affect our lives, and they can affect them in a positive way by inspiring us to keep spreading the "opposite" of evil, which is loving compassion. (IMO)

Mahatma Gandhi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey BF, thanks for the post, but I don't agree with you. I see the evil going on in Gaza and Eastern Ukraine s and so many other places, and I have sympathy for the innocent people getting hurt, but I just can't put it on myself emotionally.

If I invest myself in these events, I go one of two ways; I either start to try to figure out 'why?' and get dragged into anger and blame, or I get choked on grief that I'm powerless to prevent.

We have a saying in Toronto recovery circles, 'life is not my business,' which sort of equates to 'wear life like a loose garment.' My ideal it to be loving and helpful to all, and also lovingly detached. If I get spun out on grief over things happening elsewhere in the world, that hinders my ability to be helpful to the people placed in front of me, and there's plenty of people suffering and needing help in my immediate vicinity. My job, as I see it, is too bring as much love as I can in to the world that's right around me (I don't mean 'emotional love,' which I've come to mistrust, but that authentic inner joy and connectedness with people that I've started to find in recovery).

This is a very personal issue to me, because I've come to see that in addiction, I ran my life largely on ego and emotion, both of which keep me locked in my head (my insane addict brain). I don't even catch the news anymore, except for BBC world radio service, which tends to be relatively value-free.

Anyhow, if we don't agree, that's cool. Happy to agree to disagree. ;)

-- ji

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

johnny_ikon wrote:
Anyhow, if we don't agree, that's cool. Happy to agree to disagree. ;)

-- ji

Yes!! :D But I believe if we were actually face to face having this friendly debate we might find we actually do agree, and it is just a matter of semantics (like defining a "spiritual' person.) I love this kind of discussion, but difficult to do (and maybe not even appropriate I guess) over a "forum".
Have a great day!!!
BF

Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by ButterFLYING! on Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:42 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I needed this! I jumped at 2mgs yesterday (Saturday at 9 am I took that last dose). I still have one 2mg dose here, but not interested in it - hoping that doesn't happen - I'm sooooo ready. I'm sure taking a crumb when it gets really gets bad will just start it all over and I'm not willing to do that. The smell! Ugh! I smell sub everywhere!!!! Which is weird bc I DISPISE the smell and taste (quite often I actually gag or puke after taking it - it's that bad - and I feel nauseous every day with it anyway). Here's hoping my 3 year old and I make it through this. Day 2, here goes nothin!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi LH, I never got that 'Subs smell,' guess I didn't miss much.

Keeping Subs around after your jump is probably a bad idea, it will mess with your head.

I found that as soon as I jumped -- which I started by flushing the last of my pills down the toilet -- I never looked back, but I was glad I didn't keep anything around that would have tempted me in the early days. My jump was fairly easy on the whole, nothing at all like what I feared it would be, but there were rocky periods.

-- ji

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Howdy all! Haven't posted in a few days but been keeping up with the threads when I can. Been working long days because a few people just up and quit. No call, no show..........

all is well and I am climbing up towards 70 days soon! Woo hoo! Been working out like a maniac andam starting to get some well defined arms and shoulders! All that heavy lifting Iis paying off.

hope everyone is having a good day!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

trainer14 wrote:
Howdy all! Haven't posted in a few days but been keeping up with the threads when I can. Been working long days because a few people just up and quit. No call, no show..........

all is well and I am climbing up towards 70 days soon! Woo hoo! Been working out like a maniac andam starting to get some well defined arms and shoulders! All that heavy lifting Iis paying off.

If there's no pix, it didn't happen, lol.

Glad to hear you're doing well, Trainer. 70 days is huge. Congrats!

-- ji

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

johnny_ikon wrote:
trainer14 wrote:

If there's no pix, it didn't happen, lol.

Glad to hear you're doing well, Trainer. 70 days is huge. Congrats!

-- ji

Hey Trainer! Congrats on all your continuing success!! re:^^^^^^^^, I'll show mine if you show yours :wink:

Mahatma Gandhi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

ButterFLYING! wrote:
Hey Trainer! Congrats on all your continuing success!! re:^^^^^^^^, I'll show mine if you show yours :wink:

Are you talking to Trainer or to me? She can bench over 100 and she's a 'she.' I ain't showing you nothing!

-- ji

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

johnny_ikon wrote:
ButterFLYING! wrote:

Are you talking to Trainer or to me? She can bench over 100 and she's a 'she.' I ain't showing you nothing!

-- ji

LOL ji!! I was talking to Trainer, but if you change your mind and also will show yours, that would be awesome! The more the merrier! Ha ha ha!! And I'm serious btw, I edited a pic to just show just my arm and shoulder, but I ain't goin first!! And if Trainer puts me too much to shame, well, I "may" have to reconsider. You did show us your legs though, so in a way you already went first. lol

Mahatma Gandhi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ok, BF, it's on.

Below is a picture of my mighty left bicep. I'm gonna start working on the right one next month. Feast your eyes, ladies...

Attachment:
imagesW8UZT8SI.jpg
imagesW8UZT8SI.jpg [ 8.89 KiB | Viewed 292 times ]

-- ji

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

johnny_ikon wrote:
Ok, BF, it's on.

Below is a picture of my mighty left bicep. I'm gonna start working on the right one next month. Feast your eyes, ladies...

Attachment:
imagesW8UZT8SI.jpg

-- ji

LOL JI!! Thanks for that!! I needed a laugh today!! And congrats on 40 days! And keeping track for me!
Ok Trainer, your turn! :D

Mahatma Gandhi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey guys! Just got back from a very nice day trip with the hubby! Been working like crazy and asked for tonight off so I could spend it with him. Awesome day with beautiful weather and scenery. Farm country rocks!

JI, dude, you need some bicep work! Lmfao

haven't really had much time to post with the staff shortages at work. Feel like I live there and visit home but luckily its just temporary till we hire some people.

heading to the gym shortly to blast out a workout before we catch dinner and a movie later.

enjoy your weekend guys. Working 12 hours sat/sun so wont be much of one for this gal!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oh yeah, today is day 70 for me I believe! Also, if anyone ever gets a sore back, the icy hot smart relief tens unit works amazing! I have two herniated discs in my back and really flared them up the other night working my back at the gym. By yesterday I could barely walk. I bought the unit on my break at work, threw it on and I swear, 30 mins later I could bend, twist, walk, etc like I never hurt it. Highly recommended!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I almost forgot the biggest news of the week! Say hello to Ducky! She is a new addition and settling in well. A few minor squabbles with the girls but nothing major or worrisome. Rescue of course! She's a Coonhound and cute as hell.

Attachments:
20140808_164714.jpg
20140808_164714.jpg [ 219.66 KiB | Viewed 248 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

trainer14 wrote:
I almost forgot the biggest news of the week! Say hello to Ducky! She is a new addition and settling in well. A few minor squabbles with the girls but nothing major or worrisome. Rescue of course! She's a Coonhound and cute as hell.

Hi Trainer, great looking dog.

Congrats on day 70, BTW, that's amazing. You've set a great example for people getting ready to jump.

Ahem, still waiting for that picture showing what you've achieved at the gym....come on, woman, snap it and show it.

-- ji

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 782 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next