It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi All! I just wanted to check in and report on how well I'm doing on sub. I've been on sub since December 2008 and I have zero complaints. As many of you may already know, I also take it for my chronic pain, so I take between 16-24 mg/day - what some would consider a high dose. In the beginning I used to have some problems with constipation and hot flashes/night sweats, but those effects seem to have subsided. For the most part, the sub helps to make my pain tolerable, although I still have some bad days.

I've been attending therapy since before I started on sub and have continued attending to this day. It's helped me learn new coping skills and to learn to deal with the emotions I used to use drugs to numb. It's my opinion that without therapy we won't know what to do with those feelings that may have caused us to use drugs in the first place. And without figuring those emotions out, it can leave us feeling very depressed.

Because I can never really go back to using regular opiates to treat my chronic pain, I'll likely stay on sub for a really long time. My life has changed for the better in more ways than I can describe since I went into "remission" from active addiction. I'm even happier now than I was before my addiction. Again, I think that's because I've managed to deal with old issues that I was avoiding. I feel emotions from all ends of the spectrum, from good to bad. Although I deal with triggers like all of us do, I haven't relapsed.

I wanted to post this because lately there have been many threads about what some people believe to be the negative effects of sub, and not so many about the positive side of it.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:45 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi hatmaker,

What an awesome post! Thank you for starting this thread. I know that I sometimes dwell on the negative stuff going on in my life since I started on Sub, and I am very grateful that you reminded me how much better my life is now that I am in "remission".

Suboxone has literally saved my life! I honestly believe if I was not on Sub today that I would either be dead (or still wishing I was), or at the very least jobless, homeless, divorced and STILL going to any means to find oxycontin. It still boggles my mind what a horrible, lying, stealing, manipulating and completely ruthless person I became while in active addiction. I would NEVER do any of the things I did then, now that I am on Sub. BUT, enough of the negative crap!!!

Suboxone also works very well to manage my pain. It works just as well if not better for my pain that oxycontin ever did. For me, it works better for pain in small doses, 1 or 2mg every 4 - 6 hours. I take on average 8 - 10mg a day, depending on my pain level. I was taking 2mg at a time, but in the last week or so, decided to try 1mg and was pleasantly surprised that it worked even better at 1mg for pain. It took me a long time to get used to the whole "less is more" thing with Sub, and certainly went against everything my addict brain thought. If 40mg of oxy worked, then 80mg or more would be twice as good, until my tolerance demanded more and more.

I am also in therapy, and it has made a huge improvement with my overall attitude and mood. I fought it for a long time, but once I was out of the opiate fog, I could not stand to be in my own skin. I was so filled with anxiety, that I started popping benzos and was heading in to another addiction. I finally realized that until I started dealing with all the feelings I had that led to getting addicted to opiates in the first place, that I would never get better and would probably eventually relapse. Therapy has been good, sometimes painful but I know it is necessary so I can eventually put all that trauma to rest. I got some awesome advice from hatmaker herself how important it was for me to get a good therapist and start dealing with the issues that led me addiction. She was so right (thanks hatmaker) and I know it is going to make a huge difference in the way I deal with everything and it already has!!!

My life is so much better now that I am on Sub. I know it is only going to get better as long as I stay on Sub and keep doing the next right thing. I do not have any side effects and have not since the first few weeks on Sub. It did take me a week or so to get stable and feel good, but once I found the right dose of Sub for me I have felt better than I have in many years.

This is my first summer 'clean' in many, many years and it is so nice to actually enjoy my days instead of dread them. I planted some beautiful flower gardens and a vegetable garden and love to get out and putter around in them. I go out for daily walks and have spent some time at a local conservation area and I had the most perfect day there last week. I can remember sitting under a tree watching this young family with their dogs in the water and felt the most content I have in so long I cannot even remember.

Life will always have its up and downs and struggles but I know as long as I stay on Sub, my life will only continue to get better.

Hatmaker, thanks again for starting this thread. I have a lot of things to be grateful for today, and one of the bonuses is finding a friend like you to talk to that understands, listens and that I trust to share my recovery with.

Ginger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ginger, it's so great to hear another positive suboxone story. I honestly don't know where I would be had I not started treatment with it. Dead, probably, or close to it.

I'm so happy to hear that low doses of sub helps your pain so well. Recently when I had surgery I tapered down my dose temporarily before the procedure because I knew I would need pain meds. I went from about 24 mg/day to about 4-6 mg. The funny thing was, even when dosing multiple times during the day, the low doses didn't help at all. My chronic pain came crashing back into my life, albeit temporarily. I only wish I could take 2-4 mg two to three times a day, so I'm really glad you're doing so well. I will say that I was taking 8 mg three times a day regularly, but last month I dropped down to sometimes only twice a day. My doc even changed my script from 90 pills to 75 pills. Even that little dose reduction made me happy. I don't feel any differently mind you, but it was just nice to not need that third pill every single day.

I'm glad to hear from another person with little to no complaints about suboxone.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.