It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Re-doing my introduction
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi everyone! I occasionally would read posts from this website, and a few days ago, I joined. I am a 52 year old woman from Wisconsin, married 35 years, with 3 grown, married children and 3 grandchildren. I know I have been addicted to opiates all the years of my marriage, and addicted to benzos since I was 14. My drug of choice was anything with an opiate base. I was given my first narcotic pain pills because of a severe steam burn I suffered to my whole arm. I immediately loved what those Percodan did for me, and there was no turning back.I have been in at least three 28 day recovery programs along with 3 months in a half-way house and 9 months in county jail. (I was busted for forging my own prescriptions) Last August, I was Guided to a website about Suboxone. I had never heard of it before, but as I was literally in danger of collapsing at any moment because of my massive health problems, I think I would have been willing to try anything to have a recovery in which I did not relapse! I called the number on the website on a Saturday morning. I was going to leave a message, but a sweet lady answered,much to my surprise. She said the doctor was going to be out of state for a few days, but they would call and arrange an initial consultation for me as soon as he returned. I had no idea how long this would all take, but I clung to the hope that maybe this time something would be different, and that I could be successful. Imagine my surprise when later, around 8:00, the phone rings with a call from the doctor himself! He was actually calling me personally, on a Saturday night, and from New York! My immediate thought was "OK, this guy is a whack-job!! No sane doctor calls a withdrawing old broad junkie on a Saturday night, while on personal time away from the job. Either that or he's just some kind of flake, trying to make a fast buck, selling his snake poison!! " :roll: The doc asked me some questions, and promptly had me coming in first thing Monday morning when he came back to Wisconsin. I went to that appointment, withdrawn and feeling like you all know, and I have not looked back since! I was inducted to Suboxone that day. Since that time, even though I have had a few stumbles and difficulty with my family supporting me, for the first time in all my addictive life, I have been able to function, without the constant obsession to find drugs, get drugs, steal drugs, use drugs. Because of the fact that I no longer feared withdrawal, and no longer had my head clouded with all the thoughts that we addicts think, I was able to focus on really recovering. I have been able to work on issues that have contributed to my situation since the early beginning of my life. I have been able to work at a job, have friends, and a few months after I began treatment, I got back into the interest I had always loved most, which was having my own horse again. I will not say that Suboxone is for everybody, and that it makes recovery easier. All I know is that this is the one thing that has worked for ME. I am so blessed to have been in the right place at the right time, finding that website that caught my eye because it said they were accepting a few new patients. Where I live, there are very,very few places anywhere that offer bupe treatment, so the fact that within 3 days of my learning about this alternative treatment option, I was actually started on it, to me was nothing short of miraculous! Right after I started bupe, I joined the suboxone forum that the NAABT website offers, and found the most obnoxious few people I have ever met. :shock: I am glad to be here; everyone seems helpful and I have not seen any of the flaming and just plain mean-spiritedness on that other forum. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks so much for your story it really blows my mind how no matter how many opiate addict's stories I read I can always relate to them :) As you know though it's such a blessing to be looking back on the horrible memories of active addiction and withdrawals, hopelessness and despair instead of still living it. We see to it there are no flamers here so don't be afraid of anyone criticizing your personal program and choices. If you ever find yourself bored on a Monday or Wednesday evening between 7:30-9pm you should check out the online support group that just started here on the forum chat.