It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:30 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Oral or sublingual administration of naloxone, which is contained in Suboxone has an affect in the gastrointestinal tract, which can help relive constipation or irregular bowel movements.

There is a drug called Targin which has a combination oxycodone/naloxone and is used for the treatment of opioid-induced constipation.

Despite naloxone not having psychiatric effects it says that it affects the GI tract when we take it subligually. So what I want to know is, is that if there is a significant amount of nalaxone in suboxone to combat constipation.

Opioids produce constipation by stimulation of receptors in the CNS and the GI tract. They delay gastric emptying, slow GI transit time, and increase anal sphincter tone. So being that nalaxone works in the GI tract, it should be able to relive constipation. Being constipated is horrible. If I don't do my business in the morning my whole day doesn't go right. The only way I have been able to keep my bowel movements normal is with low doses of sub, at at most 2mg per day to see decent relief.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I take Docusate Sodium (dulcolax brand). that softens it up and if thats not enough take senna (sennosides) also. Works like a charm. I have been having trouble so I take 4- 50 mg docusate sodium/8.6mg sennosides generic stool softener plus and maybe 4 extra 100mg docusate sodium pills. My doc told me to do this and it works!

good luck!

also if you just need to just get it out milk of magnesia works like a charm for me but you can become dependant if you do it too much. just have nothing to do for a few hours. dont take it before a date :)

docusate sodium has no dependency risk not sure about the senna but that what my doc recommended

hope that helps..
-glen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:54 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks glen. I'll consider that. From what I understand about the naloxone though. Up to 10 mg of it may be needed to have the effect we want in the GI tract, and we get 2mg of naloxone per 8mg tablet and 0.5 mg of naloxone per 2mg. I don't think that's enough.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I dont know the facts but from experience, the naloxone does not help constipation even a little bit. Have you read the constipation threads? There's some good stuff in there. I've had some rough times with constipation and subs. My doc asks me every appt if it has become a problem. At 1st it wasn't but it hit me hard after almost a year on suboxone. I will post the gross story one day but I almost called an ambulance from my toilet. :oops:

g

Post subject: Constipation
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Suppositories work for me. Diarreah? Immodium works. Stool softners & Senna does nothing. Everyone is the same but different, huh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:50 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I'm gonna say it does a little. Being on methadone for 9 years really backs you up. I've tried every laxative out there. Senna is great for a couple times a week MAX. More than that and your large intestine will be waiting for the med to contract it, instead of your brain sending a signal telling it to. Mirilax works fine and is the safest of all lax. You can take it for life if need be. I read that if you swallow your spit after the pill disolves, naloxone will act as a laxative, and seems to work for me. I've been on Sub for 2 weeks, coming straight from a methadone clinic, and use only a tiny amount of Miralax, which before, would have done nothing for me. So something's working.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:38 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

For anyone reading this and wondering about senna, Google "can senna become addictive" and you will find out that it is safe when used very sparsely, but if used too much, can ruin your large intestine for life. There's some scary info out there about it. It does work like a charm, best out of all laxatives out there IMO, but the side-effects it comes with can stay with you forever. M.O.M. works great also for a once in a while type of help. So does Magnesium Citrate, but again, you should only use those two a couple times a month. Instead of asking a doctor, ask to speak to the head pharmacist at your local pharmacy, especially one close to a hospital, cause those people have seen and heard of everything out there and what works best and is the safest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:06 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

take magnesium, its natural and softens stool while stimulating the bowels, therefore not only are you softening but you are stimulating the bowels, you can get magnesium in teh vitamin department of pretty much any grocery or pharmacy store