It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:39 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been taking subs about 3 weeks. I take 8mg in morning and 4mg at night for a total of 12 a day. I still am feeling a little different while taking them, almost like a high you would get when doing opiates.. Does this happen to anyone else? And how long will this last?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Sub2new,

I too got a 'high' feeling while on Suboxone, the first few days the 'high' was the strongest. The following weeks, the 'high' was still present, nothing like a Lorcet (Vicodin) or OxyContin high, but it was some kind of 'high'.

As you continue taking your Suboxone, the 'high' should dissipate to where you barely notice it or until it's gone completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That feeling should subside soon, although I'll admit it normally would have subsided by now. Are you dosing regularly, at the same time everyday? I'd say give it more time, then maybe speak to your doctor about it. It's possible you may not need that extra 4 mg later in the day. Just a thought - I'm no doctor though.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:51 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Sub makes me sleepy at home. If I take a small dose after lunch it gives me a type of "energy" to get me through the afternoon somehow. I feel something for sure, just not a true opiate euphoria. I actually love this medication as it keeps me form craving opiates or even thinking about them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Romeo- the first couple days for me it was strong as well. It was also tough for me to sleep cause I felt like I had so much energy..

Hat- my doses are not at exactly the same time everyday but it's usually within 2 hour timeframe for each dose. I try and dose at 9am but i work nights so somedays I get to sleep in I'll dose at 11am. Then at night I try for 8pm but again depending on work I might take it at 10.

Toothy- thats kinda how I feel as well. It gives me some energy then sometimes it seems to go away Then comeback again. Lol it's kinda hard to describe. But it defiantly holds my cravings and allows me to have my life back.

Also I know someone taking them and he has been throwing up and feels really nauseated. He has been on them for 5 days and was doing fine until day 4 is there any advice anyone could give on that?

Thank you all for your responses!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, it does make me feel different.

It sounds like you're yet to stabilise. For me it took about a week. Maybe your doc overestimated your use / tolerance? I'm no doc & I don't know you though so I won't make any statements over the net from the other side of the world.

I will say that the first time I went on sub I was probably put on too much, and was even getting heavy eyelids and euphoria for the first week or tw

Even after I stabilise, suboxone still has the "emotional narrowing" effect that opiates do. My emotional response to music and events in my life is dulled a bit. I'm a bit "numb" - some might even call me an emotional cripple, though not as much as while using when I had to kill my emotions completely to live with myself and the things I was doing.

Methadone and heroin / oxy / whatever full agonist has this affect a lot more though, but it's still definitely present on the suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, Sub made me feel different and the way it made me feel changed over the years I've been on it. At first, it made me feel kinda agitated and hyper and sick to my stomach, and then I'd crash and be very tired. After a short while, it settled into a cycle of having lots of energy and then kinda crashing, which is when I was due for my next dose. I swear, at that point I still had headaches but I didn't care because I was pretty thrilled with the zing I got from taking it and it took the sharp edge off my headaches. My house has never been that clean. :D I used to crash hard, though, and sleep a long, long time and I forgot entirely what it was like to have insomnia. Over the years, I got less and less feeling from taking it and it kinda switched and no longer gave me energy. I started feeling.....I don't even know how to put it....very, very, very level all the time. No highs and no lows. No sex life, but I had no sex drive so I didn't miss it. I think the term 'emotional narrowing' is a fantastic way to put it. It wasn't necessarily a bad thing, because I went through a whole lot of upheaval and stressful crap (getting foster kids, giving them up, nearly getting divorced) and for the most part, it all bothered me very little. Being a sensitive and high-energy person, the whole thing has been a bit of a vacation for me from always being so intense.

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:48 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

tear- When I first started suboxone I was on 16mg. I would dose once in the morning and once in the evening. After day 3 I started getting terrible headaches and called the dr's office after having them for several days and they lowered my dose to 12 mg. I was scared about getting headaches so I only took 8mg and had terrible cravings after several days so went back to 12mg and havent had cravings or headaches since. Do you think I should ask or try 10mg? and see if that will help at all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sub2new wrote:
tear- When I first started suboxone I was on 16mg. I would dose once in the morning and once in the evening. After day 3 I started getting terrible headaches and called the dr's office after having them for several days and they lowered my dose to 12 mg. I was scared about getting headaches so I only took 8mg and had terrible cravings after several days so went back to 12mg and havent had cravings or headaches since. Do you think I should ask or try 10mg? and see if that will help at all?

I'm not in a real position to be giving advice, but if 8mg wasn't holding you, and the dose you're on is doing its job, why not stay put? It seems like a trade off between the pain of cravings, or the pain of a subox headache (I get them too sometimes don't worry). One of those uncomfortable feelings seems riskier than the other ;)

Of course, talk to your doc about this stuff. Don't do what I've done in the past & take my medication regime into my own hands, and end up paying the price...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sub2new - A lot of people say that if you spit out your saliva after you dose and not swallow it, it alleviates the headaches because the saliva contains the naloxone that is not absorbed sublingually.

I feel the same as many of you said. When i first got on sub I would feel energized, then tired. Now I just feel very level, but I can easily sleep for 12+ hours a day, and often do when I can, which bothers both me and my husband (and that's on 8mg/day). I definately do feel my dose about an hour after I take it, but the feeling isn't like a high - it's hard to describe. I've been on Sub for 1 1/2 years now, and i thought after a few weeks I wouldn't feel anything at all.
Despite the side effects, I feel that I would definately be seeking opiates if I were not on Sub, so I'm OK with it for now, but I do hope to get off of it when I feel stronger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Anything I felt in the first week of my sub treatment has long since subsided. I take 8 mg, 2-3 times per day (I dose for pain), and I feel normal all the time, before and after my dose. I've never felt energized after my dose like some people do nor does it make me feel sleepy. Just goes to show you that everyone is different and any medication affects everyone differently.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Lillyval- is the only thing you take suboxone or do you take some type of sleeping medication? I have felt myself being in a deeper type of sleep this past week as well just taking suboxone so I am glad you brought that up.. I am glad everything is going good for you! Your doing a great job it sounds like with your sobriety!! Congrats!

Hat or anyone else..
I know someone that has been taking subs for 6 days now. The first couple days he was ok but on day 3 he started waking up being really nauseated. Throwing up all the time and feeling sick. He dosed once on the morning and once in the evening (8mg total). Do you know what could cause this? Or does he need to just talk to the dr?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:40 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I don't believe anyone answered for your friend who is nauseated ? He could cut his dose in half for four or five days possibly. I did that when I got back on sub for pain management because I hadn't taken an opiate in five months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:27 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Wade- I passed along the info to him. He was suppose to call the dr today but he is pretty stubborn. Thanks and hopefully that works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:21 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I get energy too an hour or so after my doses. Doc has me on two 8's a day, but I'm only taking one 8, and one 4. Some days just 8. Have been on Suboxone for 4 weeks now. No cravings for opoids and feel like I am geting my life back. I am FINALLY sleeping too!!! Whoooo Hoooooo!!!! Getting at lest 8 hours good sleep a night! Been years since my poor PLD body has had that much rest!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

FarmGirl- I have been on about as long as you and yes the sleep is wonderful. Glad you are Getting your life straight. I know exactly how it feels!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:35 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

It definitely affects everyone different that's why its important to keep your doc updated on how you feel so they can help you find a comfortable dose. I've been on them for over a year and a half and all they do is make me feel level. The only words I can use to explain it is level and comfortable. When I first started I definitely got high off them, I used to feel like I was cheating or something, not high like opiates got me but similar non the less, I also noticed subs dehydrated me so I drank a lot of water and even gatorades etc, I still do this. Anyways the buzz they give you will subside and you will level off, as for me I still have no cravings a year and a half later, I do get headaches and they still dehydrate me a bit but the good far out ways the bad. I have slowly tapered from 24mgs a day to 8mgs a day over the past year and a half and though I plan to taper off completely eventually its well worth going through the beginning motions and getting accustom to them cause they work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:53 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Sub2new, so I wasn't really paying attention to the date when you started the thread ( I didn't realize you were 3 weeks in back in April). I am just curious as to how its going now that you've been taking them for a couple months? Hopefully your doing well and they're working for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:17 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi!! after about a month in I stabilized and I don't feel any effects anymore. Honestly I forget to take them some days! I am starting to wean off as we speak and should be off in a couple months. I have gotten my life back and am able to be normal and get back to the old me!! I don't know where I would be without this program but all that matters is I found it and honestly I don't even think about opiates anymore. How are you??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congrats Sub2new :) Good to hear you've made a plan for yourself and things are working out.

How am I? I'm going okay. Still on Subox. I'll be on it a while longer than you. 10+ years of opiate addiction requires some time to stabilise from.

Anyway, good luck. T