It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:15 am 
Does Suboxone Show up like other opiates on urine based drug screens? If so, is it acceptable for my Dr. to write a note that does not have the name of the drug he prescribed, but just that it is a narcotic? As long as I am under a Dr's orders for taking something that shows on a tox screen, I will be fine, bur I don't want them to know what it is. They can just assume I am taking Vicodin for an injury or something.

Comments? Suggestions? Am I worried for no reason?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:34 am 
I think (hope) you're worried for no reason. I do not think Suboxone shows up on the regular employer-type tox screens. I'm pretty sure it requires a special test which would be expensive and therefore not usually done. Some employers only test for the illegal stuff in which case you'll definintely be fine. A lot of employers do run the more comprehensive screens these days though because of so much abuse of prescription drugs. That being said, most of the time they do the quick dip-type test and only send it out if they get a positive. The send-out test would be the one that confirms the positive results and identifies exactly which drug metabolite was found in the urine.
If you want to set your mind at ease a bit, you could run to Walgreens or MedX and pick up one of those home tests for about $40, just make sure you get the one that tests for opiates (Rx ones like oxy/hydro not just heroin). Those tests are real similar if not exactly what the employers are using.
If it were me, I might just wait and see. If you get a "positive" you could produce the proof of Rx at that time and just say you didn't know it would show up because it is not a regular narcotic. Or you could ask your doctor to write a note that says you're "on a medicine that sometimes causes a positive for opiates but is not a mind or mood altering narcotic". Hopefully that would be enough to satisfy, but you may ultimately be required to produce the actual Rx.
This info is not fact, just what I have gathered by researching the subject a little in the past. Anyone with more certain answers - please chime in.
Let us know what happens.

Post subject: Suboxone testing
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:59 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

setmefree wrote:
I think (hope) you're worried for no reason. I do not think Suboxone shows up on the regular employer-type tox screens. I'm pretty sure it requires a special test which would be expensive and therefore not usually done. Some employers only test for the illegal stuff in which case you'll definintely be fine. A lot of employers do run the more comprehensive screens these days though because of so much abuse of prescription drugs. That being said, most of the time they do the quick dip-type test and only send it out if they get a positive. The send-out test would be the one that confirms the positive results and identifies exactly which drug metabolite was found in the urine.
If you want to set your mind at ease a bit, you could run to Walgreens or MedX and pick up one of those home tests for about $40, just make sure you get the one that tests for opiates (Rx ones like oxy/hydro not just heroin). Those tests are real similar if not exactly what the employers are using.
If it were me, I might just wait and see. If you get a "positive" you could produce the proof of Rx at that time and just say you didn't know it would show up because it is not a regular narcotic. Or you could ask your doctor to write a note that says you're "on a medicine that sometimes causes a positive for opiates but is not a mind or mood altering narcotic". Hopefully that would be enough to satisfy, but you may ultimately be required to produce the actual Rx.
This info is not fact, just what I have gathered by researching the subject a little in the past. Anyone with more certain answers - please chime in.
Let us know what happens.
:) Good News. I've been through multiple tests, both UA and hair, and it has to be asked for specifically. Highly unlikely to be on routine employment testing-cost prohibitive for now, but could change in the future. Ironically-the employer should be happy to see only Suboxone because it is in my opinion first line treatment for many with this disease.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:22 pm 
Thank you very much for that helpful response! Always appreciate it when someone replies who has first-hand knowledge. Good to know!