It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I cried once on Suboxone. For about 30 seconds. My Significant Other cried for like 30 minutes. I can relate to a lack of emotion. Sex drive is basicallly non-existent (sorry if this is the wrong forum for that). I also take Aderall for ADHD and have noticed a drastic increase in emtion (including sex drive), when taking it. But honestly, I find it over stimulates me and also Aderall has (several times), screwed up my taper regimin. Every time I cut down a milligram or so, if I'm taking Adderall, I feel like I need a higher dose of Sub. So I'm about to stop taking the Adderall. Sorry if this is off topic, but it is all relevant because it pertains to my emotional stability on Suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi leaneta'. you sound good to me. i dont no what sex you are but i think aderal helpet me with my S drive.
it would be nice to have adderal under control.
i understand where your at, and we are here for you as you for us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Buprenorphine is a mild inhibitor of the enzyme that breaks down Adderall (CYP2D6). It may be worth being aware of this. While you are on Sub, you might not need to take as much Adderall.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:20 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I find that being on Suboxone helps level me out emotionally. Before I could hardly handle my emotions and that was a big part of why I used in the first place. I do for some reason have a shorter temper it seems. My 5 year old nephew annoys the hell out of me when he's bouncing off the walls in manic mode. I feel bad but damn!

I couldn't work before being on suboxone due to my emotional instability. And that all happened when I turned 25. I had a break down and gave up everything. I had graduated from college and was 4 years into my career at that point.

Now that i'm on sub, I have an interview this week to go back to work, in my professional field. I sort of can't believe its happening. I am very thankful it is though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

other mood meds/suboxone can mess with our emotions,depending on what they are. we all should not get to confused by this. so it does not get to much in the way of are treatment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Excellent point, Johnboy, and I'd like to add another. In addition to medications, there are a multitude of other things, such as hormones, neurotransmitters, numerous other chemicals in our body, the passage of time from the start of addiction to the end of sub treatment (age and growth), even the changes that occurred in our brains FROM the active addiction, etc etc etc, can also have an effect on our emotions. COUNTLESS THINGS IN OUR BODY AND THROUGHOUT OUR LIVES WILL AFFECT OUR EMOTIONS. These things cannot be discounted and emotions cannot be boiled down to ONE chemical or any ONE THING. That's just simple-minded thinking and to discount all other things as having any part in one's emotions is ignoring the biggest part of who we are and is incredibly short-sighted.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:51 am 
New Poster
New Poster

bortmackie wrote:
I definitely feel that suboxone dampens my emotions and has an effect on my personality. Whenever i go a period of time without subs or even just lowering my tolerance, i notice my emotions flare up. I laugh a lot more, enjoy music more, and find tears in my eyes from watching idiotic movies. It's a bit more extreme than i normally am, but still. It's really impeded on my musical sensibilities, as it takes away the emotional reward from playing and my creativity as well.

The thing that's bothered me the most however is the irritability. It was worse when i was on a higher dosage, but it's still noticeable now. I've had a hell of a time trying to control it, but i still end up snapping at people. It's terrible because that's not my typical personality whatsoever, but buprenorphine gives me dysphoria similar to heroin (albeit to a lesser extent), where i get pissed off about the silliest little things and can't be content. I also have mild misophonia (certain sounds make me irrationally angry), and the suboxone has amplified that as well. A lot of times if my family members are eating, i'll have to leave the room rather than being driven insane by the sound of them eating. I had it previous to starting subs, but this has made it more extreme.

You got it spot on. I am the exact same way since I started taking bupe, I will seriously want to rip some ones face off because of the smallest thing. I have a 8 year old newphew that has been staying with me for the last month and I love him to death but he really gets under my skin, everything dose. I have seriously become a rageaholic sice i got sober and got on bupe Sub has done me dirty in multiple ways but got me sober so I have to be thankfull for that. One thing I have noticed from bupe is that it. Dumbs down certain emotions like joy, happiness, it is extremely hard for me to empathetic towards any thing now and I was completely opposite before I started sub 2 years ago. But when it comes to negative emotions they are extreamly amplified, ever since I have Had to change my life style I had to give up a lot of things I loved, we all have. And I resent my self for putting myself in this position. Ever since then i guess i haven't been able to forgive my self and negative emotions have started to sweep my life away. I am an extreamly angery person as of the past 2 years as well as depressed. Some of you feel no emotions, some of you feel more emotions, in my case it is only negative emotions. I'm not sure if it is the bupe or just self resentment or a little of both, but it Is nice to know someone is in the same boat as me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:33 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Agreed guys.

The first thing you're talking about - the blunting of emotions - this is not isolated to Suboxone. It is an effect of all opioids, and it is the reason why most of us loved them in the first place. Also, the extremes of emotion that come when you go for days without, and the crying over the TV etc ... they are symptoms of withdrawal. However, after acute withdrawal fades, I believe you feel significantly more emotional and involved in life than you do while on Sub. Of course that's the case, because Sub is an opioid, and opioids have this effect. That's why we took them!

Secondly the irritability. I got quite irritable on heroin. People who pulled the cord on the tram and held me up on my journey would piss me off! I'd get cranky over the tiniest things. Sub however I felt was a bit worse because it didn't sedate me. It had the irritability of the opioids without the tranquility. I remember when one of my ex's was on Sub (and I wasn't), we fought so much.. We broke up countless times. We called it being "bupe cranky".

However, I've noticed this side-effect goes away with time... And it's a small price to pay for stability.

I'd also wanna say that if you feel your quality of life is clearly worse on Sub than it was in your addiction, then of course stop taking it! If Sub has improved your life overall, then perhaps it can be forgiven for not being perfect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've said it previous, but since it's been a while I'll update. I've been on sub 3.5 years and my emotions are very normal. In fact, I cannot imagine if my emotions were to be any more intense. I cry and laugh and laugh hysterically or cry a bit or cry a lot. My point is for me this does NOT apply and this is important because so many people are talking about this as if it's a given to happen to everyone. As if it's inevitable and a fact of life for all. It's not.

I'm not discounting anyone's own personal experience, but I'm also saying there is much more to it than suboxone, and that just because it might affect some people's emotions doesn't mean it WILL affect everyone's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:21 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

hatmaker510 wrote:
I've said it previous, but since it's been a while I'll update. I've been on sub 3.5 years and my emotions are very normal. In fact, I cannot imagine if my emotions were to be any more intense. I cry and laugh and laugh hysterically or cry a bit or cry a lot. My point is for me this does NOT apply and this is important because so many people are talking about this as if it's a given to happen to everyone. As if it's inevitable and a fact of life for all. It's not.

I have to agree.. Put me in that category as well.. Subs don't have any effect on me emotionally either.. At first I was thinking that it's weird that some people are effected this way and others not at all- but then I remembered it's medication we're talking about.. Just about all medication effects people in different ways.. Medication is tricky, fascinating stuff, IMHO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Try not taking it for three days. Even push through the detox and don't take it for three months. I guarantee you will have a change in perspective.

I have been on and off buprenorphine and methadone a few times, and found that without a doubt being on Sub does inhibit / attenuate feelings. Things like jumping out of a plane, scuba diving, watching a powerful movie. All these things still have an effect while on Sub, but the effect is diminished a bit compared to being on no opioids at all. Out of all the opioids I used, Sub blunts the emotions the least. But it still has a significant effect.

It's the same reason why so many people on this forum who've gotten off Sub talk about how much different it feels. There'd be countless threads of people talking about how much more alive they feel, their appreciation of music has returned, their feelings, they can cry again etc. Are all these people lying?

I don't understand why we have to be in denial about this.

Opioids effect emotional feeling in the same way they effect physical feeling. Pinch a person on opioids and their response will be less than someone who isn't on opioids. Put a person on opioids in an intense emotional situation and they'll feel it less than someone who isn't. That's why we take em.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Why must the insistence be that it's denial just because we don't have the same effect? No one here knows me on a personal level and none of you know what my daily emotions are. I have extremely INTENSE emotions (always have) and let me tell you, if they became any more intense (and yes, I've actually discussed this subject with my husband), I would probably end up in a padded cell.

I dropped my dose suddenly from over 16 mg a day to down to 4 mg. I haven't seen any change in my "personality" or "emotions" since then. If this were a side effect, it would likely start to effect me as my dose were going down (the effect would subside). That's only logical, because my drop in dose was huge and it was over two weeks ago.

Denial, no. Different experience, YES. I love how people think they can guarantee the future, but like Harold Camping, he keeps getting it wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

God thanks tear about time someone said it. Its like its such a terrible thing that the majority of us have dealt with this side effects why on suboxone. I was on suboxone for 4 almost five years and I was a shell of my normal self I felt nothing no matter how good or bad things got. The people closet to me all notice I wasn't myself during my time on suboxone, I think the only emotioni felt was anger!And what really was the final nail in the coffin was my mental health Dr who I've been with for years even agreed that during my time on suboxone I was not my normal self. And once I started detoxing to start methadone all kinds of emotions and feelings started to come back in waves. I remember the first time I watched a funny movie I laughed so hard I almost peed my pants. Music had such great meaning and feeling to it again. I could go on and on but you can read my switch thread if you want to know more. Oh yea i can enjoy having sex again now that I'm not on suboxone.

I think some people just don't want to accept that suboxone is not this miracle drug that they wish and pray it was. And its always the same members that disagree when something negative is said about suboxone and all of us have had one negative side effect from suboxone. If you go through all the threads started by members about negative side effects you'll see that they post saying this doesn't happen to them. I guess were all crazy or they r just super humans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:05 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

tearj3rker wrote:
Try not taking it for three days. Even push through the detox and don't take it for three months. I guarantee you will have a change in perspective.

I don't take it anymore. Haven't since march

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You don't feel any different off Suboxone than you did on it?

Bboy do you feel methadone is stronger than Sub with this effect? I always felt methadone to be pretty strong in how it effected my emotions. There was a definite feeling of cotton wool.

I could imagine in the period where you switched, and stopped taking Sub for a lil while before your transition, that you woulda felt pretty intense emotions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Geez, I am almost scared to even post on this thread...but here goes:

In MY experience with suboxone, I have had almost nothing but positive effects from it. The first week or two I had headaches, and felt a little fuzzy, but that subsided as I stabilized on the medication. Suboxone has completely gotten rid of my cravings, and is effective at addressing my pain issues. I have been able to address the underlying issues that cause me to use in the first place. So, in a way, I feel like suboxone is a great drug for doing "damage control" in my life. It's allowed me to get my life together with out the cravings and obsessing about using, getting in my way.

Having said that, I'll also say this:

I do feel that suboxone has had an effect on my emotions. I still laugh, I still cry, I still feel. However, it is no where near what it used to be, even on pain killers. I used to laugh at just about everything. And I would laugh HARD. Now it's more like "i see the humor, and I think I'll just chuckle". I do miss the intense episodes of laughter that I've had my entire life. I was the one in my family that was always happy, always laughing, and I've been told that my great mood was always "infectous". While suboxone in NO WAY puts me in a bad mood, or makes me numb, it has definately taken my "up" moods, down a notch or three.

The other thing I have noticed on suboxone is that I get irritated MUCH more easily than I used to. At the littlest things. Things that I would have never even noticed before, annoy me on a whole other level. Not to the point that it effects my relationships with other people or anything, but it's undeniably there none the less.

I think that this side effect is minor in comparison to all the great things that suboxone has done for my life. My addiction, pain issues, repairing relationships, being able to work on myself, etc...but i do believe that if this side effect were the result of anything else, it would have been present before. It's just not a coincidence that THIS MANY PEOPLE all have had similar experiences, and the common denominator in all of our lives, is suboxone.

I know that not everyone is going to agree with this, that is why it is an opinion and nothing more. I do believe this 100% and to try and change my mind would be pointless. I think the only thing that could convince me to even consider another reason for this side effect, would be a physician presenting me with hard evidence to the contrary. I say this because this is MY EXPERIENCE with suboxone. This does not in any way, shape or form mean that anyone who tries suboxone as a treatment option, will have this same experience. It just means that I did. I truly hope that I didn't offend anyone with something as frivelous as an opinion. I would never want to disrespect another member or hurt their feelings. That's just not me.

I love to hear everyones take on this. And it is definately reassuring that I am not the only one who has noticed this. I do believe that some people are really quick to blame suboxone for a lot of things, that just aren't related, but I do believe this one has suboxone written all over it.

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

tearj3rker wrote:

Bboy do you feel methadone is stronger than Sub with this effect? I always felt methadone to be pretty strong in how it effected my emotions. There was a definite feeling of cotton wool.

I could imagine in the period where you switched, and stopped taking Sub for a lil while before your transition, that you woulda felt pretty intense emotions.

Luckily I have not had to deal with this side effect while on methadone, THANK GOD! I actually am in the best place mentally and physically I have been for a long time and life has meaning again for me. I'm also a much different person when my pain is being managed, I'm upbeat happy easy going and so on. I truly believe that not being in extreme pain is playing a huge role not having to deal with this side effect since starting methadone, because I'm able to stay busy and go about my life and daily activities.

But my time I was on suboxone i was in so much pain after I got over pink clowd affect. That over time I just fell into this deep depression or I like to say deepdark hole that I couldn't climb out of. And I accepted that this is how my life is and I can't change it so i became this emotionless zombie with a life that had no meaning. I think that we all need to accept that suboxone is still a very new drug and we are the testers for the makers right now. We have no true knowledge of what long term effects suboxone will and has on our body from head to toe. And this is not just my opinion but a couple Dr I've talked with as well as two drug counselors along with countless number of people groups I've been in were everyone is or was on suboxone.

But to add to what tear is saying its all opiates I do agree because during a two month trial before my Dr started giving me oxy/fentora I was on morphine aka MScontin and this shit made me feel like a free, nothing mattered in life for those 8 weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:50 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

tearj3rker wrote:

Honestly, I don't think so.. I don't mean to be vague, I'm trying to think, I'm terrible with dates & stuff like that.. I understand what you're saying about changing our emotions is what opioids do, and that's why we take them, etc etc and it's a great point.. Totally logical and now that you put it that way I sorta feel like I should..lol.. But thruthfully, outside of the stabilization period with any medicine change, I really haven't experienced much change, emotionally..

Now, just because I haven't noticed it doesn't mean I don't think it's a real issue.. Obviously it is- enough people have expressed this so I don't think there's any doubt for some people (maybe even most) it's real.. Maybe it's because I never took pills for pain- I was strictly a recreational abuser- a MASSIVE ABUSER at that.. I was reading something about how the brain sometimes reacts differently between people whose abuse started as legitimate pain and escalated vs people that just took opiates for recreation.. It was VERY interesting and basically said there's a theory that recovery may be a little different between those types of people- in terms of side effects, paws, etc etc.. Not sure, recovery and addiction is sooo different for each person.. Its fascinating how the human brain works

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah I'll agree with that. It's probably different between those two groups but also the same.

I think that any recreational drug user / abuser has a degree of dissatisfaction with reality. A person who uses opioids for pain relief has a dissatisfaction with their state of body. Both ultimately wanna change their perception of their reality, only difference is one group wants to shift their state of mind and emotion, the other wants to shift their physical perception.

The main difference would be the catalyst for relapse. A return of pain issues would be a big trigger for a pain pill abuser. A return of mental / emotional issues would be a big trigger for the recreational drug addict.

Now what you're saying about things not being THAT different once you've stabilised does kinda make some sense as well. I noticed that after I'd "land" post-detox, I'd feel like a bit of an emotional cripple. I couldn't cry to save myself. I questioned if I could even grieve if someone close to me would die. I asked people in "the fellowship" about it, people who'd been clean for a while, and they told me that they experienced the same and that it can take a couple of years for the full spectrum of emotions to return.

In my case, I'd go from addiction where my emotions were blunted severely, to maintenance where my feelings would be blunted mildly -> moderately, to withdrawal where my feelings were so intense it was unbearable, to post-detox where I'd have ups and down, but overall I was a emotional cripple. Then slowly different emotions would be revealed... first the ugly ones - anger, frustration, anxiety ... then slowly over time the nicer ones would open up like caring happiness love etc until eventually the full spectrum of feelings would return. I figure the reason I couldn't grieve in early recovery was because at that point I couldn't feel love, and you gotta have one to have the other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

At first I thought I would say that I don't believe sub has any effect on my emotions. But the more I think about it, maybe it does, since I feel, and I have been told by people that they can see a major change in my attitude and how I handle situations more calmly since I've been on sub. I don't react as dramatically for the most part, so maybe it does blunt some of my emotions. But if that's the case, I am glad it does, because before I got on sub, I was totally reactive and let so many things bother me. And now, I feel like I can handle things that would've totally ruined my whole day before.

I can see how this could be a problem for people who already have trouble expressing how they feel, especially if you are in a relationship. But for me, blunted emotions are a welcome side effect, if it is a side effect at all. I have always been completely emotionally driven in life, to a fault. Now I am much happier not being in a place where my emotions don't dictate everything I do in life. I guess I will find out if it really is the sub doing this, if and when I ever decide to taper off of subs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next