It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:22 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi

I have just read a few people on this forum mention sub effecting their pee.
It could be a coincidence, but since I started 25 day ago, I have trouble letting it out.
Im 37, don't have any pain like a urine infection coming on or any pain in general.
Its like I feel the need to urinate but sit on the toilet for a while sometimes/most times. It seems like the muscle that holds it in just wont relax and I really have to concentrate on it and sometimes try to pressure it out. When I eventually go, its a normal wee, not a small, stop start type or the type where you do a little bit and then need to go again in 5 mins.
Has anyone else had this or do you think its something I should see my doc for?
Sorry to talk about this weird topic but hearing others mention it I was like, wow, could it be that...
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

All opioids have that effect. The effect is mostly reduced by tolerance, but a small part of the effect persists, even after being on the same doe of opoid for years. The effect is common, and the reason why they ask people to pee before leaving day surgery, so that they don't need to come back and get a catheter.

I suspect that there are medicatios that help.... although give that the same receptors controlling peeing (micturition is the proper word) also control salivation, heart rate, and constriction of bronchioles (asthma) there may be slde effects with the meds.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:25 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I guess suboxdoc already pretty much 100% answered your question, but still, I wanted to pop in to say that what you've described is exactly how it worked for me (the difficulty relaxing the muscle in question). Weird, innit? But this went away almost entirely for me, so it might for you too.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:03 pm 

I assumed mine was age related. My Suboxone doctor, who is also my primary physician gives me Flomax which is for a prostate problem. (the medical term sounds nasty so I'll leave it out)

It would be nice to not have that side effect but overall it's not a big deal in the whole scheme of things.

r

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:26 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Oh thanks for all the replies.

That makes me feel a whole lot better.
I don't know bout you guys, but now im clean, I think something crappy is going to happen to me health wise. Know what I mean? Like murphy's law, I just got clean and now this..................
Think that's common especially for recovering addicts. I have heard it mentioned at NA.

anyway, thanks for easing my mind and giving me hope it my go away :)

Ta

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:50 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I do.. There are days I sit for 15 min waiting for the pee to come.. I feel I have to go but it's like my bladder is spasming. I had this for a short period when I was on high levels of hydro or Oxy but not as bad as w subs because of the long half life I believe.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:35 pm 

Oh csinny! What a pain! I can't imagine sitting there for 15 minutes trying to go!

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:00 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

csinny, don't fall asleep waiting! I have the same problem and so does my brother who is trying to get off Subutex right now.

BD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:05 pm 

I don't know why certain opiates cause this in certain people!! Percocet was the drug that made it hard for me to urinate and I do fine on sub. Of course, I wasn't about to try to get off my drug of choice to make it easier to pee! It's only when we have a better quality of life that we worry about this kind of stuff, and it's the sub that improves our lives to the extent that we are bothered by stuff like this. Ironic.

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:08 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Back before I started suboxone, I used to nod off quite often on the toilet. Funny but not at the same time. I thought I had really bad issue until you guys said it happens as well.

Now, for the other problem down there. I have been so happy that my constipation on sub compared to oxy has improved so much its amazing. I hear of people commenting the sub causing constipation but my movements since 1 month into sub have almost gotten back to what I remember as being normal.

Happy days
I hope your all having a great weekend and enjoying this sunny weather :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:17 pm 

Amy that's exactly how I see it too! All the things that we let go and overlooked when we were in active addiction, is different now that we're on suboxone. I didn't have time to worry about being constipated when I was on oxycodone, I cared about one thing and one thing only....getting high and not being sick. Now that I'm on sub, I want to fix some things like a "normal" person would have done to begin with. Like having cavities because I let them go, but that doesn't mean sub caused those cavities, I'm just now in a place that I care about fixing them. Does that make sense lol? In my head it does but maybe I'm unable to translate it exactly right. But Amy, that's what I've been thinking for a long time :)

The peeing thing though, that does probably happen with certain ppl on all types of opiates, it's not just sub causing it. But I do think a lot of ppl blame suboxone for side effects that's always been there, but didn't notice it in active addiction.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:16 pm 

It totally makes sense! You explained it perfectly. :)

Amy