It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:45 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I know there's a sub forum for recovery, but it's completely dead, so i'm posting here since it's about attaining sobriety, and more people will see it.

This may sound odd at first, but I am looking for a rehab that revolves around farm work.

Of course, it should still have the crucial elements of a standard treatment program like medical detox, group, or one on one therapy, meetings (12 step, SMART, etc), but use farm work to occupy addicts through most of the day.

I first came across this from a Williams Burroughs novel in which he briefly touched on how effective farm work was for getting clean, and I began to think about it. Here are the most apparent benefits that occurred to me:

Being out in the sun for long periods, having fresh air, and surrounded by natural beauty helps depression.
Being far from any urban area, taxi, or payphone will help discourage people from dropping out
Farm labor is simple work, which is important, because cognitive ability is often impaired in early sobriety
Being around animals is clinically proven to help relieve depression and anxiety (like Equine therapy)
The labor that they are providing could possibly be used to subsidize a portion of the treatment costs
Getting back into a job is critical for maintaining sobriety. This acquaints addicts back to work life
Gives them a good job reference which is crucial to helping them land a permanent job
Gives addicts more purpose and accountability than they get at regular rehabs. They know the animals must be fed.

Again, i'm in no way advocating that this replace meetings, therapy, and other medical services. I simply think that this would be a potentially effective thing to augment a treatment program with.

I searched online, and I did find one treatment program that sounded like this. It was a ranch in northern california if I remember correctly, but it closed its doors a few years agp, and I was unable to find something like this that exists today.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:26 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey Keith, I have never heard of one but it is a great idea!
It would be best to live on the farm for your whole rehab time. If I had the farm? I would donate it to the cause! lol