It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:42 am



All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Our Sponsors





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:43 am 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:08 am
Posts: 1503
One's definition of what's clean and what's not clean changes over the course of their recovery I think.

I will say though that NA as a fellowship doesn't seem to have an opinion on Suboxone. Rather it's the groups and the individuals who each have their own practices and opinions. At some groups, they read a preamble saying that people on "drug replacement" should ID as such, and should not share. Other groups do not differentiate at all, and consider it as being "between you and your doctor".

Considering people on Suboxone to not be clean can be quite dangerous. I've fallen into this trap of shame in NA too many times, and it usually ended up in me jumping off a high dose of Suboxone to feel "part of". I remember when I'd first ID as "clean today" after being on Suboxone the group would cheer. Eventually I relapsed of course, as doing an impulsive jump off Suboxone isn't a mature way to get into abstinence.

Also, this line of thought can be pushed further. Are people on anti-depressants clean? Are people on anti-psychotics clean? Such dangerous questions have led people to stopping their medication, and ending their own lives. It's a shame that there are still people in NA who feel that such medications are abusable, or a part of one's addiction, and people on such medications aren't clean. My last sponsor told me that I would only know the full miracle of the program once I worked the steps and didn't "need my medications anymore". I asked him if he didn't need his HIV anti-virals after working the steps. He said that wasn't completely different. It was at that point I realised how dangerous some opinions can be. And this guy was a respected, older cleaner member.

IMO you're clean as long as your recovery is moving in the right direction. A person who goes from addiction to a stable life on Suboxone is thus clean. If they choose to taper, and are mature and ready, then it's a step towards their new "clean". It's when a person stays on Suboxone when they're ready to taper (stagnates), or starts "moving backward" (we all know what this entails), that they should question whether they're clean.

I think that's the only way to get a straight answer to a complex question.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:15 pm 
tearj3rker wrote:
One's definition of what's clean and what's not clean changes over the course of their recovery I think.

I will say though that NA as a fellowship doesn't seem to have an opinion on Suboxone. Rather it's the groups and the individuals who each have their own practices and opinions. At some groups, they read a preamble saying that people on "drug replacement" should ID as such, and should not share. Other groups do not differentiate at all, and consider it as being "between you and your doctor".

Considering people on Suboxone to not be clean can be quite dangerous. I've fallen into this trap of shame in NA too many times, and it usually ended up in me jumping off a high dose of Suboxone to feel "part of". I remember when I'd first ID as "clean today" after being on Suboxone the group would cheer. Eventually I relapsed of course, as doing an impulsive jump off Suboxone isn't a mature way to get into abstinence.

Also, this line of thought can be pushed further. Are people on anti-depressants clean? Are people on anti-psychotics clean? Such dangerous questions have led people to stopping their medication, and ending their own lives. It's a shame that there are still people in NA who feel that such medications are abusable, or a part of one's addiction, and people on such medications aren't clean. My last sponsor told me that I would only know the full miracle of the program once I worked the steps and didn't "need my medications anymore". I asked him if he didn't need his HIV anti-virals after working the steps. He said that wasn't completely different. It was at that point I realised how dangerous some opinions can be. And this guy was a respected, older cleaner member.

IMO you're clean as long as your recovery is moving in the right direction. A person who goes from addiction to a stable life on Suboxone is thus clean. If they choose to taper, and are mature and ready, then it's a step towards their new "clean". It's when a person stays on Suboxone when they're ready to taper (stagnates), or starts "moving backward" (we all know what this entails), that they should question whether they're clean.

I think that's the only way to get a straight answer to a complex question.


I agree with you, except for the fact that NA as a fellowship definitely DOES have an opinion on Suboxone. I posted this earlier in the thread.

"But, this raises the question: "Does NA have the right to limit members participation in meetings?" We believe so. While some groups choose to allow such members to share, it is also a common practice for NA groups to encourage these members (or any other addict who is still using), to participate only by listening and by talking with members after the meeting or during the break. This is not meant to alienate or embarrass; this is meant only to preserve an atmosphere of recovery in our meetings."
"When an individual under the influence of a drug attempts to speak on recovery in Narcotics Anonymous, it is our experience that a mixed, or confused message may be given to a newcomer (or any member, for that matter) For this reason, many groups believe it is inappropriate for these members to share at meetings of Narcotics Anonymous."

You can find Bulletin #29 in its entirety at the NA website.
http://www.na.org/?ID=bulletins-bull29

They say people on maintenance drugs can't share or take service positions in order "to preserve an atmosphere of recovery in our meetings." They call us "under the influence of a drug."

Sounds like they DEFINITELY have an opinion, and it is clear.

EDIT: I am gonna add that we probably are not "clean." I say this because the term "clean" is a very NA word. We are all sober. Look up sober in the dictionary, and you will see how AA/NA has corrupted that word and changed the definition to fit their own insanity. There is no such thing as a "dry drunk." That doesn't make sense; one is either sober, or they aren't.

So who cares if we are "clean?" That is a subjective NA term and it means NOTHING to anyone in the real world.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: agree
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:22 pm 
Offline
6 Months or More
6 Months or More
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:31 pm
Posts: 182
I'm clean by my term clean. I know the live of my addict self and now a clean person. That is what matters to me. I have chronic pain so this is probably the cleanest I'll be and if I can taper then great I'll be cleaner HUH??? I refuse to let this be an issue with my life. I choose to be the best I can be for me and at this time in life it includes sub. I like the new me and I will enjoy it as long as I can and really hope you all do too... I'm proud of me and I thank sub.

So does my family and friends they are thankful I choose to get clean on sub!!! :wink:

_________________
Dreams are only Dreams unless you persue them


Top
 Profile  
 
Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Re: agree
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:44 pm 
Offline
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:05 pm
Posts: 253
meltalk wrote:
I choose to be the best I can be for me and at this time in life it includes sub. I like the new me and I will enjoy it as long as I can and really hope you all do too... I'm proud of me and I thank sub.

So does my family and friends they are thankful I choose to get clean on sub!!! :wink:


:D Great Outlook!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: agree
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:00 pm 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:43 am
Posts: 893
Location: AZ
stephent wrote:
meltalk wrote:
I choose to be the best I can be for me and at this time in life it includes sub. I like the new me and I will enjoy it as long as I can and really hope you all do too... I'm proud of me and I thank sub.

So does my family and friends they are thankful I choose to get clean on sub!!! :wink:


:D Great Outlook!


Agreed!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:11 am 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:08 am
Posts: 1503
Ironic wrote:
"But, this raises the question: "Does NA have the right to limit members participation in meetings?" We believe so. While some groups choose to allow such members to share, it is also a common practice for NA groups to encourage these members (or any other addict who is still using), to participate only by listening and by talking with members after the meeting or during the break. This is not meant to alienate or embarrass; this is meant only to preserve an atmosphere of recovery in our meetings."


You will notice that it says "While some groups choose to allow such members to share."

Ironic wrote:
EDIT: I am gonna add that we probably are not "clean." I say this because the term "clean" is a very NA word. We are all sober. Look up sober in the dictionary, and you will see how AA/NA has corrupted that word and changed the definition to fit their own insanity. There is no such thing as a "dry drunk." That doesn't make sense; one is either sober, or they aren't.

So who cares if we are "clean?" That is a subjective NA term and it means NOTHING to anyone in the real world.


I just need to clarify something here. By your definition, you believe people on Suboxone aren't clean. So you don't see yourself as being clean.

By my definition, I believe I am clean, and that anyone who doesn't abuse drugs is clean. As far as I know, by my definition, you are clean too! We each have our own personal definitions of what is clean, and what is not. When you say "we probably are not clean", that is by your definition, and ultimately only applies to your personal recovery, and your view of yourself.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:07 am 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:11 am
Posts: 427
Location: Fishers, Indiana
I've gone back and forth so many times about whether or not I'm clean and if I should stop HDB treatment. A few conclusions I've come to over the last almost 5 years I haven't "used".I'm still alive and I haven't relapsed. I am still enjoying the things I've worked so hard to recover since I stopped using like my friends and family, a great job, and a bachelors degree (a double major even!). I'm recently married and disgustingly happy with how things are going in my life. I'm not very concerned about possibly having to continue to take HDB for the rest of my life as long as I'm still above ground and enjoying life. Lots of other people are likely to be required to take medication for the rest of their lives too for various diseases. Medication assisted treatment is the best possible solution for recovering opiate addicts in terms of how many people test negative for illicit opiates or other drugs at the end of 1 year. The number of people who haven't relapsed after one year of traditional "abstinence" based 12 step programs is disgustinly low and those who haven't relapsed within 5 years are virtually non-existent. I can now provide for my family and contribute to society at large now and however much longer I can stay clean. Finally I realized that I want to be around for others that may need my help in the future and the best chance of achieving that goal statistically is to stay on HDB and to me "clean" means being able to return to my life again, the life that existed before I became an opiate addict.

_________________
"If you're going through hell, ....keep going!"
-Winston Churchill


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:15 pm 
Offline
Power Poster
Power Poster

Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:52 pm
Posts: 70
I agree Matt2, the use of "clean" and " dirty" are actually perpetuating the stigma of addiction. I like to use addiction remission, and active addiction in lieu of those other terms. Addiction is actually the behaviors, and changes to one's brain, not a drug or medication. I am also doing very well with my recovery and don't even think about coming off of sub. After 25 years in active addiction, I also graduated from college and working as a Substance Abuse Counselor/Registered Addiction Specialist. Congratulations on your success.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:21 pm 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:08 am
Posts: 1503
stp747 wrote:
I agree Matt2, the use of "clean" and " dirty" are actually perpetuating the stigma of addiction.


Very true.

It made me think of this girl I knew interstate who would inject cocaine, get down on her hands and knees and start digging holes in the ground with her fingers like a maniac for half an hour. Then do it all again.

Some people's addictions are dirty, literally :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:41 pm 
Offline
Average Poster
Average Poster

Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:38 pm
Posts: 7
I see that a lot of people have said some variation of this, but I feel it is worth repeating. One of the primary components of addiction is the nearly psychotic thinking that goes along with it. In fact, I think it is THE primary component. Regardless of the substance or behavior, once someone crosses into active addiction, they begin to think only in terms of satisfying the thing that their brain tells them they need to survive. It is because of this that people end-up divorced, in jail, beat-up, and dead. Bup, when used correctly allows a return to a non-addicted mind. Imagine if chemically it wasn't an opiate, would we still care about clean or dirty? I think that if someone is able to reengage with their humanity and their life in an authentic way, which is not possible during active addiction, that person is clean.

_________________
Addiction Psychologist Serving the Triangle Area of North Carolina | www.drsethdennis.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:02 am 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:08 am
Posts: 1503
DurhamDoc wrote:
I see that a lot of people have said some variation of this, but I feel it is worth repeating. One of the primary components of addiction is the nearly psychotic thinking that goes along with it. In fact, I think it is THE primary component. Regardless of the substance or behavior, once someone crosses into active addiction, they begin to think only in terms of satisfying the thing that their brain tells them they need to survive.


It's definitely crazy thinking in some form. Psychosis is when people hallucinate, hear voices, suffer delusions, paranoia. It's associated with schizophrenia / schizoaffective, and sometimes bipolar disorder. While addiction is its own form of obsessive insanity, I think psychosis is a different thing completely. However, if we are hooked on marijuana / meth / cocaine / hallucinogens etc, those drugs can send some people into psychosis.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:55 am 
Offline
Average Poster
Average Poster

Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:38 pm
Posts: 7
tearj3rker wrote:
DurhamDoc wrote:
I see that a lot of people have said some variation of this, but I feel it is worth repeating. One of the primary components of addiction is the nearly psychotic thinking that goes along with it. In fact, I think it is THE primary component. Regardless of the substance or behavior, once someone crosses into active addiction, they begin to think only in terms of satisfying the thing that their brain tells them they need to survive.


It's definitely crazy thinking in some form. Psychosis is when people hallucinate, hear voices, suffer delusions, paranoia. It's associated with schizophrenia / schizoaffective, and sometimes bipolar disorder. While addiction is its own form of obsessive insanity, I think psychosis is a different thing completely. However, if we are hooked on marijuana / meth / cocaine / hallucinogens etc, those drugs can send some people into psychosis.


I totally agree that addiction is different from the DSM concept of psychosis. On the other hand, I do think that active addictive thinking is characteristized by a break from reality. While there may not be bizarre delusions, I think drug-seeking, sex-seeking, or whatever becomes a delusion in itself once the addictive pattern has taken hold. In fact, in my experience, an active addict can have just as much delusional thinking as someone with a classic psychotic disorder like the ones you described. Of course everyone's experiences are different, these are just my observations.

_________________
Addiction Psychologist Serving the Triangle Area of North Carolina | www.drsethdennis.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:30 am 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:08 am
Posts: 1503
I didn't see that these things are your profession actually.

I've had pretty extreme cases of both psychosis and addiction, so I can get defensive about them at times.

My psychosis involved paranoia, thinking I was a prophet, ripping phone / electrical wires out of the roof, seeing devil horns and halos. It was like the worst bad trip a person could have, but seemed to never end. While I wasn't as out of touch with reality in addiction, I was definitely out of touch with humanity. And my addiction was much more destructive, even though I appeared sicker in my psychosis. There are some huge parallels, but subjectively they felt very different.


Top
 Profile  
 
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:16 am 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:11 am
Posts: 427
Location: Fishers, Indiana
I'm still blown away whenever I think about times before I was able to stop "using" and all the crazy things I had convinced myself into believing were true. I still remember wandering why so many negative things kept happening to me when I was still using. I was so out of touch I remember thinking that people were actually out to get me and all my legal and personal problems were all just due to bad luck and had nothing to do with my "using" lol I was obviously dealing with major denial. It was difficult learning to be both honest with myself and others. There were so many lies I was telling myself that I had literally lost all track of. Talk about

_________________
"If you're going through hell, ....keep going!"
-Winston Churchill


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:30 am 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:55 pm
Posts: 4933
Location: Leesburg, FL
Tearj3rker - I hear what you're saying. Active addiction does do something to our "rational" brain, so to speak. But is it comparable to psychosis? Before I started suboxone I had a psychotic break from all the drugs I'd pumped into my body so I know first hand what a genuine psychotic break feels and looks like. And I don't see how one can possibly compare the "psychosis" of active addiction to an outright break with reality. I mean, I guess I can understand what he's trying to say, but I think they are two very different things. Just my take.

_________________
-As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:29 am 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:43 am
Posts: 893
Location: AZ
I get what he is saying. Now this is just my take on what he is trying to say and i could have misinterpreted it. I think he is saying that addicts have delusions about there use, what it is really doing to their lives, etc. I do think when in active addiction we do not live in reality. We become obsessed with our doc. I don't think he meant to imply that a true psychotic break and addiction are in the same league just that addicts in active addiction do have a break from reality. I know for me I was not living in the real world.

My take on his post is just that there are some similarities to an addicts way of thinking as someone suffering a true break from reality but not near as severe as a true psychotic break. Like I said I could have interpreted it wrong.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:33 am 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:55 pm
Posts: 4933
Location: Leesburg, FL
We should have a "Like" button, cuz I agree with you, Breezy.

_________________
-As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:36 am 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:43 am
Posts: 893
Location: AZ
I also wanted to add that the severity of an addicts delusional way of thinking can be in varying degrees depending on the person, their doc, length of use, severity of use, etc. Some drugs can cause delusions, take crystal meth for example. I have seen meth users that have extreme breaks from reality. Perhaps a better way to put it is that addicts can have a delusional way of thinking.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:35 pm 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:08 am
Posts: 1503
hatmaker510 wrote:
We should have a "Like" button, cuz I agree with you, Breezy.


+3


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:16 am 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:39 am
Posts: 4028
Location: Sitting at my computer
+.141592654 = Pi

MMmmm, me loves some pie!!!

_________________
Be kind to yourself. Our character defects do NOT define who we are!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Our Sponsors
Suboxone Forum latest topics RSS feed Subscribe to the entire forum
 

 

 
Fond Du Lac Psychiatry
Dr. Jeffrey Junig, M.D., Ph.D.

  • Board Certified Psychiatrist
  • Asst Clinical Professor, Medical College of Wisconsin

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group