It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:57 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

[font=Arial] [/font] I just created a profile here today, and haven't had any luck finding the specific imformation I'm looking for in the existing posts. Although I've read in several places that suboxone can lower testosterone production, I can find no imformation on suboxone's effects on estrogen/ projesterone.
Simultanous to my induction onto suboxone, my gynecologist placed me on projesterone due to estrogen dominance. He gave me a synthetic (provera)projesterone, and the side effects were foul (nasty, nasty moodswings, depression, hostility, anxiety). Provera is often prescribed to women with irregular periods- 10 mg for 5 days will generally produce a "withdrawl bleed" aka period, whether you ovulated or not. 10 days after completing the provera, I never got the withdrawl bleed. Considering that I supposedly have too much estrogen, this is unusual...to the best of my understanding, it would imply that I didn't make enough estrogen. Since I had been diagnosed as having too much estrogen the month pryor to starting suboxone, i am wondering if suboxone interferes with estrogen production. I have an appointment with my gynecologist tomorrow, and hopefully he can shed some light as to "what the hell is happening to my body", but in the meantime, I was wondering if ay other women on suboxone have had issues or if I should assume the two things are unrelated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi melanie,

Welcome to the forum! I've been on suboxone for about 20 months now. About 6 months or so ago my doctor did full hormone studies on me and mine were all fine, right where they were supposed to be. And I take a pretty high dose of sub (16-24 mg/day). I've never heard about bupe affecting estrogen or progesterone, but I'm no expert. I would think that it's just a coincidence.

Maybe the good doctor will weigh in on this one...

Again welcome, I hope you find as much support here as I have.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.