It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:38 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I don't know if anyone else is having this problem. Every since I've been taking Subs. I've had to deal with insomnia and have to take soma and melatonin to sleep at night. Is this a problem for anyone else?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not a complaint that I hear much of-- except in people who had a low tolerance before going on buprenorphine or Suboxone, who sometimes describe feeling 'buzzed' for a week or so, and a bit sped up in the same way other opioids used to affect them. Have you been on it for a while?

One consideration that may or may not apply to you... many people, when using, have lousy sleep cycles-- most of the abused opioids have half-lives far too short to last an entire night, and people often take benzos or alcohol to deal with the come-down between using episodes... When they suddenly are off everything, and not as sleep-deprived, it is harder to fall asleep (some of the 'falling asleep' they WERE doing was actually 'losing consciousness' more than 'sleeping').

You mention Soma... most people get their sleep screwed up pretty quickly by taking meds to help with sleep. I'm not suggesting you shouldn't take anything-- but whether it is soma, a benzo, ambien, flexeril, Seroquel, trazodone, or Benadryl, a couple days of taking it will make sleep difficult for a week or so, without it. If you haven't tried it, consider taking nothing for sleep, at all, for a few weeks; get a good book to read and when you are awake, see it as a chance to read, rather than something to curse at. You MIGHT start sleeping. At minimum you'll get a couple good books read!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:03 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes, when I first began taking Suboxone I couldn't sleep at all. In my case, the insomnia wore off after a few weeks. Hopefully yours will as well. Good luck!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:57 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

If I take it really late at night I sometimes do. I try taking it around 6pm, and lay down around 10pm.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:12 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I have been using suboxone for four years. I have learned that it is best for me to take it early in the morning, because later in the day causes insomnia. Even lower doses affect me that way. But that is just how I am.

I hope this is helpful.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Terrible insomnia, awful. Go to bed no matter how tired and exhausted I am from no sleep the night before, and, VOILA, can't sleep the next night either. Nor the next night. Nor the next……. This started after being on Suboxone for 5 or 6 months, which is a long time to me. I've read up on Suboxone side effects, both insomnia and somnolence are listed as common side effects. So, yes, you can attribute it to our friend under the tongue. (I'm taking sublingual). I have a theory that the real problems with the drug happen during long term use. Short term use is entirely different. I wish my doctor had put me on, stabilized, and then tapered down immediately. As it is, I've got insomnia (acupuncture and chinese herbs did help, but you may be averse to eastern medicine) hair loss, myoclonic jerking, tremors, I am numbed out, and probably other things……oh Yes. Maybe just maybe the suboxone has something to do with this weird period of accelerated aging I am experiencing. I have looked about 15 years younger than my age from maturity on. My family is very long lived and look young. Since taking the Suboxone hit the 6 month mark, suddenly in a matter of weeks, I acquired wrinkles along my jaw line, above my mouth, more around my eyes, wrinkles radiating from the sides of my mouth, and now, today, I noticed I've started having that roping skin thing on my neck. This is not normal. Oh no. Not. Maybe it's just easy for me to blame it on the suboxone, so I'm not going to yet. But all the other symptoms turn out to be valid as side effects of the drug when taken more than short term. If this is suboxone poisoning, I will cry a lot. Nothing to do about it. Can't Imagine that after I'm off it, my wrinkles and skin wattles will disappear. Thanks a lot to the doctor who insisted I go on Morphine, when I refused and refused and resisted. That's my story. I think you can be fairly sure the insomnia is a Suboxone special effect.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

In one word, "YES" I have had insomnia since I started on Subs 3 1/2 years ago. I have to take Ambien & benedryl. Yes, both~!!!! I don't know why this happens but I sypathize with you.

Love, Queenie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:06 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I struggle with this in a peculiar way... sub still makes me nod, sometimes even "pass out" about two hours after my dose. Then I wake up and when it's time for bed, I'm tired and I can't fall asleep.

I had been on Xanax for panic attacks prior to sub, so those were a life saver at bedtime. But that's not a solution obviously, so I had to taper off xanax. I'm still struggling with the insomnia issue.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have only been on the suboxone for 4 days now and the first 2 nights I did not sleep at all. Last night I took 2mg of lunesta and slept for 10 hours straight. It was a good sleep but this morning I have a "hangover" feeling and am still out of it. I haven't really had a clear head (or stomach) since I started taking suboxone. Tonight I am going to try 1mg of lunesta and see how that works. Good Luck.

Post subject: Trying in Ct
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I envy you. 1 mg of Lunesta. Lucky you. I have to take 10 mgs ambien & sometimes benedryl with it to help it out.

Stay on 1 mg… so you don't need more. Good luck & keep up the good work with subs.

Love Queenie (the grandma of the forum)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have always had trouble with insomnia. I've found that melatonin is a great natural supplement. They help regulate my sleep patterns which has resulted in my being able to be more responsible and consistent as far as my career. Maybe you could try it. I take 5 mg on nights I feel like I might have trouble going to sleep or waking up the next day. You can buy then as strong as 10 mg which is what I started on but realized a adobe that high was doing doing me no better than a lower dose. I will say the side affects would be weird dreams.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I will also say that before going to my sub doc I was prescribed xanax and he put a quick stop to that because it's "risky" to mix opiates and benzo despite my having done so for years. Anyway the end result has been fine but I'm also on a couple mood pills that have really helped tremendously.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:02 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

TryingInCT wrote:
I haven't really had a clear head (or stomach) since I started taking suboxone.

Same here! That sums it up perfectly for me. Your statement could be a tagline for the truth about suboxone.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:16 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have had insomnia, off and on, for the three years I was on Suboxone and two years I've been on Subutex.
I used to take my dose of 4 mg at 10 pm and slept predominantly well. Recently my doctor was out of town, so I had to skip a day before getting my prescription. This caused me to change my dosing schedule to earlier in the day. Since then, my insomnia has worsened to include restless and achy legs in the early morning hours.
Has anyone had these symptoms?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:22 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I had insomnia as well, have suffered my whole life but started again when i started the subs...it did go away after it built up in my system. I had to use Trazadone and klonopin the first few days. The trazadone helped but it made the constipation worse.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:08 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

When I first started I don't really remember if I did but lately at the end of the month, I'm on a way lower dose than usual because 1: I take a bit extra on certain days & 2: I only get 30 a month & half of that goes to my fiance until we get him hooked up with the doc. I AM proud that I am doing pretty well with only 4-6mgs daily tho. But for like the last 4+ months when I get my new scrip & take my whole half a strip I lay wide awake. Sometimes I can get to a kinda half doze where I'm a little asleep but then realize my knees are up & I'm running my fingers thru my hair...weird I know. But I've had insomnia since I was very small. Now my doc is trying me out on diff sleeping pills tho so far nothing gives me a full 8 hrs. But with the Sub it's a diff kind of sleeplessness...hard to explain if you haven't experienced it. So yeah, I most def get insomnia from it. I also am 1 of the 15% to get killer headaches from the Naloxone, only not everyday. Maybe I'm just messed up...Lol...tryin not to get messed up...;p

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:51 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I've been on the generic version of Suboxone for a year and I had sleep issues before using Sub and still had them up until I tried taking a high dosage of magnesium glycinate and a calcium supplement. It's weird but I can take the mag. capsules at night and within the hour fall into a peaceful sleep for about 6 to 8 hours and wake up bright and perky. I have tried all kinds of meds: soma, xanax, benadryl and so far the mag caps are doing the trick. I take my calcium supplement in the A.M. and then my mag caps when I'm ready to sleep. I researched the various brands of mag and decided on the brand from "Doctor's Best". The way I approached all of this is that it wouldn't cost a fortune to try it out and if it didn't work then I would continue to hunt for something. I just know that I can't use soma etc for long term sleeping problems. Hope this info helps anyone with sleep problems. I have ongoing pain issues so I see myself on Sub longterm. I'll be happy to share more info - just drop me a line. Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:08 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

You betcha insomnia! I mean insomnia from HELL. It was like I'd forgotten how to sleep, and no matter how exhausted and tired I was,no matter how little sleep I'd had, when I got into bed at night, there it was again……no sleep. What I did was go to my acupuncturist who treated me with acupuncture as well as a real battery of herbs. I don't hold much faith in herbs, but these truly helped. It was a long process though. I'm getting some relief now after at least 6 - 8 weeks of open eye fever. My advice for whatever it's worth is to go see someone about the insomnia. From what I've read, it IS the suboxone. Did you have insomnia like this before the suboxone? no. It is conquerable. See whatever kind of healer you do best with. A doctor, an acupuncturist, whatever works for you. You'll get through it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:40 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I should say I never sleep through the night though ... I wake up 2-3 times and am UP by 6 since I started subs... Even w klonopin and or trazodone. I have a high tolerance for klonopin since I've been in it for 15 years but not for trazadone and it does leave me w a hangover. I'm happy w 5-6 hrs sleep at this point.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

How high is your sub dose? To much sub can make people feel wired or "spun".. it's really messes with sleeping.