It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:45 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello i'm new to this blog so please bear with me. I am about to see a doctor about suboxone treatment thursday. I have been on and off opiates for about 10 years,been on methadone, cold turkied, now back on the junk again for the past 9 months. I can deal with the physical withdraw but my mind plays tricks on me and makes me do the junk. just can't quit. I don't want to go back on methadone because I think it's worse(is it?) so I'm willing to try suboxone. I know I will be on it for a while and it's better than buying dope all the time!
What can I expect? How much is good for a first dose? Is the sickness of suboxone worse than sniffing heroin? Is there a generic form of suboxone? Is there anything I should really know about this stuff? If anyone has some helpfull answers please let me know.
Today was my last bag of dope I hope(wow that rhymes!) I was told that I should be detoxing when I see the doctor. Can't wait till thursday!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:20 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Welcome Joey -

Congratulations on your decision to get clean. You have already lived through so much withdrawal in your current situation, that I suspect suboxone will be terrific for you.

If you have the ability, google for suboxdoc on youtube. Great information from him.

In short, suboxone will not give you a 'buzz' or the warm fuzzy feeling you get with other opiates (like Heroin, etc.).

Personally, I believe that suboxone treatment is a great idea.

Yes, you are right about being in mild/moderate withdrawal before you start suboxone. Understand that you will feel 'normal' when you are at the right dose.

The doctor/treatment center will help you with how to take the medication (under the tongue).

What is important for you to understand is that suboxone is a LONG half life medication! It is stronger than heroin, oxy, etc. when it comes to the opiate receptors in your body. In another words, once you start suboxone, if you do heroin, or take othe pain meds - they will do nothing. Also, if you cheat and take suboxone before you are in mild/moderate withdrawal symptoms - suboxone will displace your drug of choice and put you into precipitated withdrawal.

The great news is the FREEDOM you can get! Once you bear the initial wait - get ramped up on suboxone - you get a new lease on life! They will probably have you attend some meetings, or be part of online forums, or counseling like this.

Anyway - I hope this is enough to give you the courage to hang in there for Thursday. I don't know about heroin (half life) - but I waited 24 hours from last dose, was getting some chills, runny nose, etc. My night - I suddenly felt normal on suboxone - normal. I believe you will benefit greatly!

Please keep us posted!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:06 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for your advice! It is greatly appreciated, just a little nervous about starting something new but anything is better than having a dope habbit. Do you think this is better than being on methadone? I have been thru the methadone before and did well on it. Last year I had to do 6 months in prison for driving on a revoked licence and cold turkied 40 mgs, I took my last dose before I went to court, was convicted and and was ready to detox in prison. Instead of trying to taper down before I went I figured it would have it's advantage,couldn't get dope there so I would have no choice but to detox and it helped knowing that I couldn't get dope! It was hell but I got much better in 4-5 days. So I did my 6 months came home and 2 weeks later I went and got dope. So I started doing 1 to 2 bags on the weekend. Weekends lead to twice a week than three times a week and now here I am again 9 months later doing about .5 to .75 grams every other day and have a habit again! I actually thaught about violating my parole to cold turkey again and start from scratch! At this point I would only have to do less than 2 months in prison but my girlfriend doesn't want me to go away again.
So here I am again, had enough of the drugs and wanting to quit. Tried cold turkey again and only make it 3-4 days before I go to get dope. It's not the sickness that gets me but it's the mind games! CRAVINGS! It is getting to the point where I am driving myself to get dope and thats a big no-no for me because if I get caught driving again, I face 3 years (get out in 1 year on parole) in prison and I don't want that.
I came to the conclusion I will probally have to be on suboxone or methadone the rest of my life, it sucks but what can I do? I know if I quit cold turkey again I probally will return using and screw up everything again! I will be 40 next year, own my own house, have a good profession (just unemployed right now) , have 3 dogs, and have a great girlfriend of 8 years with a great career also that wants to get married and have kids like yesturday! Just glad I have not lost anything over this nonsense! It's time to grow up and live life properly!
I slipped up today and did the junk, did the last of the dope I had laying around but I go thursday at 11am to the doctor. I will have 36 hours off the junk then, just hope thats enough time. Do you think it is? Pleas let me know. I will continue to be on this site to get info and share my experiences as I find it helpful.
Thank you for your responses and help!!!!!! :D JOEY

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:19 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey Joey!

Thanks for the update! In m opinion, you know about methadone. Suboxone is different. I think that it may be the ticket you are looking for for a couple of reasons.

1- For me, it helps me realize that once I'm on suboxone - those CRAVINGS are just for a bit - and they will go away. AND - that if I were to give in an USE my drug of choice - they would not work. With methadone, they will still work some - defeating your desire to be clean.

2- If you wait 36 hours, you will know if you are in mild to moderate withdrawals. YOU CAN MAKE IT! Then Suboxone will be like no other medication you have been on. It might take a few ours or a day - but you will feel "NORMAL". I think many of us have forgotten what that feels like. We need that.

So, since you have been on methadone, I would vote you use suboxone. For all the right reasons. Except for the heroin/jail stuff - you and a I are not that far apart. We have lots of good reasons (jobs, houses, etc.) to stay and get clean.

Imagine, a new life - one that is not revolving around the next fix/hit/pills?.... no lies, buying illegally, doctor shopping, .... just 100% on the up and up? What's that worth in the long run? To look people in the eyes and know you are working on your dependence/addiction disease. That is how the suboxone doctor should treat you. That you (as do I) have a disease that makes us susceptible to opiates. As such, Suboxone will be a tool in your bag. You will need many tools - and then you can work with your TEAM (docs, forums, groups / whatever, family others) - to handle your triggers or cravings without turning to the lie of opiates.

Please give this an honest try! I am a few months into it. Things change. You won't be the same person you were before you ever took a pill, or did junk. You will be different, and hopefully more humble, wiser, and fully admitting you have a weakness/disease to opiates. You need lots of tools and help to say no! Not going there again.

Here's my latest idea. I'm on suboxone - feeling normal. Thinking of the taper down route. Been to some meetings, have a counselor, and a doctor. I have new ideas on how to deal with stress - and am making different choices. BUT- in all that is GOOD from that - I am remembering how BAD - and i mean BAD I felt on opiates. You know, when the stuff is gone, and you think - I'll quit now... and you get crazy, or hollow, and will do almost anything to curb it. Numb up..

If you remember those feelings, the TRUE hell/lies of opiates - then as you feel normal - you thank God in your own way - that you are normal and keep working to a new/better you.

Keep us posted! You can make it! Honesty is critical by the way with everyone... they are taught to be non-judgmental at the clinics. YOU CAN DO IT! Take Care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:49 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

So Joey, by now you must know exactly what suboxone is like. Has it worked for you? Are you over the cravings? Isn't it wonderful to feel human again?
Please respond to this and let us know how things are going for you.
All the best and hope you are doing well
Sneaky.