It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: I DODGED A BULLET!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:00 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

After reading stories on here about Dr's changing their policies, dumping patients, horror stories of the DEA etc...I had a gut feeling something would happen to me and my Dr. As you may know I plan to jump Friday, I have 10 scheduled days off for this. I had a Dr apt today to get Clonidine and tell him this is my last apt and that I'm stopping BUT...before I see my Dr (of 3 years) the nurse hands me a letter. It was a letter stating that as of 12-31, my Dr will no longer prescribe Sub and it had a website where you put your zip etc... to locate a new Dr. I got lucky in deciding to stop beforehand and this has been long awaited. I think of how much anxiety I would be in today knowing I would have to switch Dr's and this one is a wonderful GP who takes insurance. Prior to finding him I drove over an hour to a city where a Dr saw me in her basement of her house. I felt like I was going into a drug dealers place and it was so awkward! I wouldn't want to do that again! PHEW...I do feel bad for his 65 some odd patients however who are being cut off. He said after 5 years of seeing Suboxone patients, it has quickly overwhelmed his practice (we decended upon him...LOL) and he wants to get back to basics. Today I dodged a bullet and it cements my choice to quit.

Post subject: Re: I DODGED A BULLET!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HI there Melissa CNA

Thanks for sharing your experience. That really is good that you were already planning on stopping at the RIGHT TIME!.
This just reinforces my thoughts on continuing to stock pile my medication. I know that the system is not perfect but this medication truly works for me and I never want to have to go without, so I have been taking just a little less every month so I have about( a weeks) worth left over every month. I am hoping that I never need to switch doctors but if something does happen, I have enough to get me thru to the next appointment.

Insurance is another hoop that we must go thru., that I personally have to wait every 6months for approval. Every 6 months I have to wait 10-14 days for my insurance to get prior auth. from the doctor to continue on paying for my meds. The last time that happen i had 10 extra left over that covered me til my insurance kicked in.

Little things happen and everyone should be aware that these things DO happen with this medication, so my advice to everyone that plans on staying on this for a while is to STOCKPILE a small amount to have in emergency.

Post subject: Re: I DODGED A BULLET!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree with you 100 % raudy! Good thing you made your decision before you got dumped by this doctor. What a shame for his buprenorphine patients though. WIth the 100 patient cap, I sure hope they're all able to find another provider in time. Another reason that cap should either be raised or lifted altogether. ... sooooo many people are in dire need of these medications, and they're aren't enough doctors, and on top of the doctor shortage is this stupid patient cap!. .. ugh! It is very unnerving and frustrating to say the least! I've been stockpiling just a bit out of each prescription myself, just in case. I absolutely love my doctor, but the reality is that he is elderly, and is technically retired, but still seeing patients at this program I attend, but he could decide at any time to fully retire and where would that leave his patients? I'm in a highly recommended program run by the president of the North Carolina society of addiction medicine, so I'd think arrangements would be made for his patients if that happened, but who knows? I never expected the doctor at my first clinic to just up and walk away from all 100 of his patients either, but he did. Just quit in the middle of the day one day, leaving us twisting in the wind, without even so much as a referral to another doctor. This is a frightening reality of being a bupe patient. I plan to remain on my medication for a long time, if not life.....I hope I can.