It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:35 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Why are doctors so fast to pick up their prescription pad when they don't get paid by the drug company? Or maybe they do...? If they do, it seems unethical. In this scenario they must have a system to track who writes them and how many, which also seems like it is corrupt. I'm interested in the answer if any of y'all know. The only reason I can think is if the patients always expect a prescription and the doctors are aware of this fact and may feel pressured to. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:42 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My take is, first of all, it's an easy fix to write a rx to treat a medical problem. Second, why not? There are thousands of medications that work very well to treat medical conditions. Why not write a prescription for a medication?

As for doctors getting paid by Big Pharma, there is a website called Dollars for Docs (http://projects.propublica.org/docdollars/) where you can search a doctor's name and see if they've ever receive payment from a pharmaceutical company and which one and what it was for (consulting, speaking, etc). They don't list all of the pharma's, just 12 at this time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think a couple of things. Pain pill addiction often has innocent beginnings. Doctors who are often well meaning and who have difficulty saying "no" or leaving a patient in pain ... would rather their patient walk out of the appointment happy and be ignorant of the potential future harm than deal with a patient's unhappiness, or even tackle a patient's drug-seeking behaviour.

Also there's a real culture in the western world that pills are the answer. It's been proven that patients are more satisfied with their doctor when they walk out with a prescription. And at this point in history, the ONLY real relief for severe pain comes from narcotic painkillers. A patient ain't gunna be happy walking out with a script for Ibuprofen.

If anything it's a poor indictment on medicine's present lack of sustainable ways to treat chronic pain. Most doctors when faced with a patient with severe or chronic pain, has the choice to either prescribe a narcotic painkiller, or leave the patient walking out empty handed and bearing a grudge.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:13 am 
I think a couple of things. Pain pill addiction often has innocent beginnings. Doctors who are often well meaning and who have difficulty saying "no" or leaving a patient in pain ... would rather their patient walk out of the appointment happy and be ignorant of the potential future harm than deal with a patient's unhappiness, or even tackle a patient's drug-seeking behaviour.

You know what a good example to this is... What's that called? Oh yeah... suboxone. Lots of doctors are happy to take cash, give you two minutes of there precious time, squeeze you in by double booking or tripling booking appts, ONLY give you the script after you make a cash payment, ARE YOU KIDDING ME. I would be a great dealer in this sense. I'll give you 3 minutes of my time and pat you on the ass on the way out saying about how your doing great. But pay me first and then i'll be nice. Under better circumstances this drug is allright. But as it stands it is so ridiculous. Honestly i've never seen such a gray area like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

chaimeragiest wrote:
You know what a good example to this is... What's that called? Oh yeah... suboxone. Lots of doctors are happy to take cash, give you two minutes of there precious time, squeeze you in by double booking or tripling booking appts, ONLY give you the script after you make a cash payment, ARE YOU KIDDING ME. I would be a great dealer in this sense. I'll give you 3 minutes of my time and pat you on the ass on the way out saying about how your doing great. But pay me first and then i'll be nice. Under better circumstances this drug is allright. But as it stands it is so ridiculous. Honestly i've never seen such a gray area like this.

not every single suboxone doctor is this way...... I'm not saying that suboxone is PERFECT and every doctor is caring and awesome and there's NOT offices LIKE YOU DESCRIBE....

I'm saying NOT EVERY ONE IS THIS WAY....................

My doctor has a sliding scale, you can EVEN be seen with NO MONEY.... MY FIRST appt, I had TEN BUCKS......

Im not even kidding.... ten bucks, to induct.....

AND, a year later,,,,, his pager number for "emergencies"

I was going every THIRD MONTH,,, for my appts. . and I'm usually there at least a half hour,, I mean SEE HIM A HALF HOUR,
sometimes longer. . I'm there actually like an hour and a half, with all the waiting. .

I get it,
that you think suboxone is a big joke, and everyone needs to get into "reality" and blah blah blah,
point taken, k..........

but not everyone, is in the situation you keep bringing up.

edit.......
I forgot to say, I have ABSOLUTELY NO INSURANCE,,,,
no perscription coverage, no insurance of any kind. . .
oh and he'll write for the generic, too..... it's just not the right med for ME,,,, cuz I end up taking more to get the same
effect, and well, it's only a dollar or so cheaper, each 8mg's

anyways, that's it...............Im done now

thanks for reading

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:52 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

chaimeragiest,

It seems like you are having a bad experience with suboxone. That sucks. I agree there are some really shady sub docs who are in it for the money. In every profession there are people who are gredy, lazy, stupid, etc.

But like Amber said, not all sub docs are bad. I see mine for at least 30 min. He talks to me about many different issues. He wants to make sure i am doing other things besides taking sub to improve my life. He monitor my bipolarmeds and sends me to the psych if changes need to be made. He talks to me about quIttIng smokIng. He dId a gyno exam for me last year. I could go on and on.

My point is that some of us are really improving our lives while on sub. Im sorry you are not having this experience. Maybe you should take a look at how you could make changes instead of blaming sub or spending time being angry at sub.

Good luck.

(sorry for the typos....this phone sucks.)