It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:08 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey everyone,

So I've been seeing a new doctor since around October. For patients without insurance he charges patients without insurance much less than my previous doctor. My old doctor would make people pay an additional $45 on top of an office visit for a monthly drug screening.

For me, I'm lucky enough to have insurance so if don't have to pay the $125 office visit price for my current doctor and a reasonable price for the suboxone. After a few months into seeing him, I looked up online on my insurance website what the doctor has been billing them. It is absolutely ridiculous. There is an average of $1000 being billed to them monthly. There are bills to them multiple times a month, on days that I don't even see him.

After if saw all of this, I brought it up to the receptionist who I pay my copay to every month before I wait 1hr-2hrs to see the doctor for 30 seconds to get my prescription. I told her I should have a credit from my insurance company paying more than 10x the difference in price ($75) that they charge per visit and my copay. When if explained to her the situation she immediately got an attitude with me and told me that I don't have any credit. She asked if my insurance was trying to bill me from this, and when if told her no she said if shouldn't worry about it and that they charge people with insurance more than a patient without insurance. They've billed my insurance the same amount after 3 visits that someone without insurance would take about 3 years to accumulate in payments.

They've got one hell of a racket going on. I'm worried my insurance will stop paying because of this bullshit. Anyone ever see anything like this or does anyone know if my insurance could stop paying?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Go Packers!

I find it hard to believe that insurers would actually pay the numbers you wrote--- unless they are paying for quantitative testing, which is a total scam that I've written about: http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com/who-pays-for-health-care/

I can't imagine an insurer paying more than $150 for an office visit. The big insurers in Wisconsin generally pay under $100 for a follow-up visit, unless your appendix is taken out during the appointment. I'd be interested in seeing your bill, if you want to black out the identifying info and scan it....

I charge every patient the same, in my practice. Of course, people have a range of opinions-- some people think that if they have Medicaid, they shouldn't pay anything-- even though doctors are paid 20% from Medicaid, compared to what private insurance pays. I think it is more fair for everyone to pay the same for the same service.. but again, people differ on that.

Realize that insured patients have ALWAYS subsidized the uninsured. Insured people pay $3000 per day to stay at the hospital, and for uninsured patients the cost is often completely written off. Again, I'm not trying to justify it-- but that is how it is.

Read my post, above, about testing--- insurers pay ridiculous amounts for those tests, i.e. $1000 for each sample. If a doctor is doing a test on you, the lab is charging something for it--- usually at least several hundred dollars. I do 'point of care' tests, and don't charge patients.... but I worry that the quantitative testing profiteers will eventually get rules passed that require their tests-- which will cause costs to go up further.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:42 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

First off, thanks for your reply. I like your Packers enthusiasm! Sorry the season ended early for you. They've gotta fix up that O-line. My icon is the Georgia Bulldogs though haha so I feel the frustration. I've always been curious which logo was first.

There are two charges. Like you said I think there is a lab is charging the insurance company too. One of them is from the doctor and the other is some other place which I think is from a lab for the drug testing. The name is Aegis Sciences who billed $1455 after my first doctor visit and the doctor billed $620. By the way in between my appointments he billed $30 weekly.

The next appointment the doctor billed $305 and Aegis billed $1540. The next appointment the doctor billed $280 but there was no drug test, so there wasn't anything from Aegis. So in total, including the $30 weekly charges the doctor billed a total of $1335 and Aegis billed $2995. That is for 3 appointments. The doctor appointment for people without insurance is $125.