It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:05 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi, I'm new to the forum here but have read along for awhile. A brief history, I have been on 16mg/daily of suboxone for the past 6 years almost. The initial dose many years ago was higher then that but I hesitate to say as I do not remember. I have been going to the same doctor for this entire time period, I have never been late to an appointment, I have never missed an appointment, nor have a failed any of the random drug screenings that are given. I see the doctor one month and just walk in the following month and pickup my prescription.

Now, fast forward to my issue. I was due to see the doctor on 2/24, I showed up for my appointment to find out that all appointments that afternoon had been cancelled and I made sure they had the correct phone # for them to call me on to reschedule. I get that things happen, so no big deal until a week later when they call to reschedule with a date of 3/13. I ask to speak with my doctor and I'm told someone will call me. I think about it for a few minutes and decide that I can make it until 3/13 and just go ahead and call them back myself. Well, in a 5 minute time span, my appointment has changed to 3/18, which is almost a month from the time I was originally supposed to see the doctor. I've tried multiple times in calling in hopes of getting someone else that might actually get my doctor on the phone because I feel it's more a issue with the staff and not my doctor. Any ideas or better ways to approach this? I feel like I'm being pushed into forced withdrawal, imo 16mg/daily to 0mg is a unmanageable jump to make, especially after this many years. I know this is something that I need to work my way off of, but I don't want to be forced into it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Andy

Welcome to the forum! That stinks that they keep pushing your appointment. I don't know how old you are but there is a saying "the squeaky wheel gets the oil"-what that means is they can push your appointment because you are not making a "lot of noise" and put others in a spot you should have...so IMO there are 2 ways to deal with this....after first nicely asking for a 2 week script because you are in w/d's...

1. Call and insist the doctor call in 2 weeks of MEDICATION for you since the only appt they can give you is 2 weeks away & you will be out of your MEDICATION. Make noise! Call first thing in the morning & leave your message & say you will call back in an hour either to speak to the doctor or find out when you can pick up your prescription,

2. On their next business day be the first one there & just say "i will wait until i see the doctor" then every 15 minutes go to the receptionist & remind her you are there. I know this works because I am the office manager in a doctors office & when people do that to us I get sent out then I speak to the doctor and 99% of the time the patient gets what they want.

I hope you are ok and can get in sooner...that's so wrong to push your appointment like that!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:38 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Great advice Tiki!

This is a terrible thing for a doctor to do to a patient. He is literally jeopardizing your recovery and possibly your life with his poor time management. I would bug the crap out of them until they did something about it!

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Q

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:15 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Tiki wrote:
Hi Andy

Welcome to the forum! That stinks that they keep pushing your appointment. I don't know how old you are but there is a saying "the squeaky wheel gets the oil"-what that means is they can push your appointment because you are not making a "lot of noise" and put others in a spot you should have...so IMO there are 2 ways to deal with this....after first nicely asking for a 2 week script because you are in w/d's...

1. Call and insist the doctor call in 2 weeks of MEDICATION for you since the only appt they can give you is 2 weeks away & you will be out of your MEDICATION. Make noise! Call first thing in the morning & leave your message & say you will call back in an hour either to speak to the doctor or find out when you can pick up your prescription,

2. On their next business day be the first one there & just say "i will wait until i see the doctor" then every 15 minutes go to the receptionist & remind her you are there. I know this works because I am the office manager in a doctors office & when people do that to us I get sent out then I speak to the doctor and 99% of the time the patient gets what they want.

I hope you are ok and can get in sooner...that's so wrong to push your appointment like that!

Thanks for the advice and support. I hate to report back though that I was unsuccessful in getting anything accomplished. I did as you said and first thing Monday I was on the phone calling every hour on the hour. All day long I either got a busy signal or no answer. The unfortunate thing is due to the unusual winter storms we have been through recently in our area has created a mass of service calls that fall under life safety issues, which in lay terms means "IT BETTER GET DONE." So, I have been on the road since Tuesday and my calls since Tuesday are still falling on deaf ears! I have started the process of searching for a new doctor though, I will not go through this again. I will be sure to make my feelings known though at my last appointment with my current doctor next week. All in all it hasn't been as bad as I was expecting, I do feel a great lack of energy, motivation and some difficulty sleeping. I was lucky though and did have 3 subs on file at my pharmacist that I wasn't aware of, so I am using them sparingly along with the clonidine my doctor had given me some months back.

Another question, I honestly don't think its the doctor himself. I firmly believe that it is his staff, primarily his head nurse. Once I get through my appointment next week, is this something that should be reported or just left alone?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

IMO you should absolutely tell the doctor what happened and keep adding how uncomfortable you were so he gets the point and I am pretty confident if the doctor didn't know what was going on the nurse will get an earful from the doctor so she can't do this to someone else.

I am interested in how he reacts when you tell him you were pushed so far out you ran out of meds. I should have told you to get the name of who you spoke to each time you called. Maybe you will be able to tell if he knew by his body/facial expressions.

If patients don't tell the doctor or office manager how will we know what's going on. We give a packet to new patients & my biz card is there with a note saying "Please feel free to call me with any questions, concerns, complaints or compliments" LOL

I am sorry you didn't get in sooner. Please DON'T let them move your appt unless it is sooner :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:50 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

That is not only extremely unprofessional but completely disrespectful and unethical. If this happened to me I'd report him and find a new doctor, unless he offered some kind of sincere apology and assurance it won't happen again. There's been a few times my doctor has cancelled appointments due to personal emergencies, being sick, etc. In this case the receptionist calls me as soon as possible and asks how I am doing on my Suboxone, and if I'm out they call me in a few to get me through until I can see the doctor. You shouldn't have to deal with this- it's totally inappropriate and heartless. I can't even comprehend how any doctor could think this is acceptable.

If I were you I'd tell him/his staff exactly how I felt (respectfully, of course), and if he blows of you off I'd report him.

Good luck!

"He will cover you with his feathers, and under His wings you will find refuge" - Psalm 91:4
–Robert Green Ingersoll

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Andy

Wondering how you are doing??? Did you find another doctor? How are you feeling?