It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I live in Ohio and I just got back from my doctors appointment.

He told me that he is not allowed to prescribe Subutex anymore and that Subutex may only be prescribed to pregnant women. After doing some internet searching, I couldn't find anything else about this.

For 60 strips it was 445 dollars and for 60 Subutex it was 180 dollars. I just can't afford the strips, the price is outrageous. I have no insurance so I don't know what to do.

He also told me that he can only prescribe two a day as well.

I take Subutex because it helps me with depression, anxiety and pain. I stopped having cravings for opiates years ago.

I was wondering if he still refuses to help even though it's legal for him to do so, should I just seek out a pain doctor and try to get Subutex from him?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So since I'm not getting any replies, let me try this.

Does anyone know how I can look up the laws for prescribing Subutex?

I have done internet searches to no avail. Do I have to contact the FDA, DEA or some other organization that handles these laws and procedures?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: No New Law
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There is no new law that I am aware of that would prohibit him from doing this.......my guess is he just received a visit from the RB rep on suboxone.

I would call his office and ask him what the deal is. Tell him what the difference is between generic subutex and the strips and see what he says. If you tell him you can't afford it I am curious what he will say. Let him know that you are up to speed on suboxone and subutex and is this his policy or is someone telling you to change?

If he doesn't budge I would look for a new sub doc. Once I obtain one......get an appointment. I would call him again and tell him you no longer plan to see him and plan on reporting this info to the medical board because you feel descriminated against because you are an addict.

Then follow through with going to new doctor. I don't get it myself why they just make these changes.....my doctor on my last visit had his receptionist hand us a paper that said the fees have been raised $15. When I asked why she said I do not know and the Dr would prefer you not bring it up.......WHAT????

There are doctors out there that will help you if you do not have insurance .......call around and tell them you have been on subutex and because you do not have insurance need to continue subutex......you will find one I am sure. Good Luck.

Jim

PS Do they realize their porshes, Lincoln Navigators and BMW's are parked in the same parking lot...........lol

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:41 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much for your reply.

I will take your advice for sure.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:09 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Defacto wrote:

He told me that he is not allowed to prescribe Subutex anymore and that Subutex may only be prescribed to pregnant women. After doing some internet searching, I couldn't find anything else about this.

For 60 strips it was 445 dollars and for 60 Subutex it was 180 dollars. I just can't afford the strips, the price is outrageous. I have no insurance so I don't know what to do.

I take Subutex because it helps me with depression, anxiety and pain. I stopped having cravings for opiates years ago.

I was wondering if he still refuses to help even though it's legal for him to do so, should I just seek out a pain doctor and try to get Subutex from him?

Thanks in advance.

Thats just a load of H.S (Horse) that the DEA has been telling Dr's everywhere. Its all just political BS. My doc gives me subutex after accidentaly writing for it...and it was 10 bucks regardless of amount as opposed to the 110 that subox is. He let me stay on it cuz he is a very smart (not afraid of beauricratic BS) and knows what the laws are. His words were "screw them (RB-Suboxone Manufacturer), I dont want to give them anymore money than I have to."

Three rules in his practice....

Dont be shitty to the Dog...
NO METH
and dont sell medication.

Of course you cant piss dirty every month, cuz then its back in two weeks and more money, but other than that he is on your side. Rx's benzos if needed etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:13 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Forgot to add that his secretary (his wife) also says that only Pregnant women can get that. She was 100% certain until I showed her the rx her husband has just given me....

Point is that the DEA (ALL BASED ON MISINFORMATION) is on a crusade to keep that inert naloxone in there cuz RB has good marketing people. So they can keep reaming people who need this medicine.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:24 am 
WashingtonStateStory wrote:
Defacto wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Thats just a load of H.S (Horse) that the DEA has been telling Dr's everywhere. Its all just political BS. My doc gives me subutex after accidentaly writing for it...and it was 10 bucks regardless of amount as opposed to the 110 that subox is. He let me stay on it cuz he is a very smart (not afraid of beauricratic BS) and knows what the laws are. His words were "screw them (RB-Suboxone Manufacturer), I dont want to give them anymore money than I have to."

Three rules in his practice....

Dont be shitty to the Dog...
NO METH
and dont sell medication.

Of course you cant piss dirty every month, cuz then its back in two weeks and more money, but other than that he is on your side. Rx's benzos if needed etc...

Nope, it isn't the DEA. It's Reckitt Benckiser. They won't allow generic Suboxone to be made, either. They've got the patent and will renew and renew and renew.

More doctors are falling in line. I hear they don't get kickbacks, but I almost hope they do..otherwise, it means they are listening to the RB reps and believing their bullshit without even checking the facts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes, sadly, the other posters are correct. This is the exact typical example of the RB "brainwashing" of docs. They Claim this because Suboxone has no generic, yet, Subutex DOES. They want to keep you as a customer and over charge you, when you could be paying another company a fraction of the cost for the EXACT SAME THING.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:29 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I am pretty sure that this is the new Medicaid rules for authorizing Subutex Rxs. (only if pregnant and limited dose.) You quoted full prices on the prescription price differences so i am assuming that you are uninsured. It sounds, to me, like your doctor is an iddiot and got a confused or he thought you were an iddiot and he get away with feeding you a load of shxx. I realize this response is a little late. I sincerely Hope you got it figured out. Personally, i feel a world of difference on subutex vs. suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:19 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I don't think there is any new laws but I do think a lot of may the dr,s got the memo. (Sarcasm)

I went in to talk with my dr on the day of the appointment. She told me, she has switch me
From generic buprenorphine, which I have been on going on two years.

She has to put back onSuboxone. I wondered why. She explained to me that diversion
Is all over in town. And that also a few clients made some bad decisions that is now going to make it more difficult For everybody.

I said diverge of straight buprenorphine? really? She said yep and sub to. and the DEA
would like everyone to get off of straight buprenorphine, there is to much diversion. I said maybe they are using it like Dones well I didn't say Dones I said methadone curving w/d,s I said well if you have to put me on Sub again, I have no problems I said it is more expensive Dr XXxX but if the DEA cracking down I don't have a problem going back to name brand. She says well this month we will do the generic buprenorphine But to stay on it we need to get more UA,s

If you are Going to stay on generic bup we need a UA once a month, it's easier for you financially so just make sure you come in and the nurse will Get the UA now. I had a UA every appointment but for me to stay on gen bup I have to do pill count and extra month in between the UA.

So I don't know, this issue It is either.

1. A nation wide coincidence.

2. he really did get the memo

Or 3. He wants you to take sub

Peace to you. . My friends know me or call me B... Or Bri.

Snake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:00 am 
yeah my doctor said i only write that for pregnant women. Then i told him the difference in cost. He told me hey it beats using right? I lied because i was shocked his said such a bullcrap line. I told him, actually no it's about the same as using costwise. He was shocked looking. And said. "i don't write for subutex." Then he penalized me one time after asking by making me come in every two weeks instead of one. Haha, scumsucker. I'm the paying customer with cash. You at least think i have some sorta say. I mean heck. I don't i.v. or have track marks of any kind. I knew at this point this doctor WAS a typical mobster of this rackett. He went at first b saying... It doesn't have enough blocker in it for you. So i debated that point to him that it doesen't deter me since i take it properly under the tongue. Then went to saying subutex is only used in pregnant women. He thought i would accept that as a answer. So i had his secretary call my cvs pharmacy and ask if subutex was made just for pregnant women. The pharmacy tech told her no it's prescribed to males all the time. Then he decides.. No i don't write for that. Wow. I was shocked. I know doctors don't have to do anything. But since he double books appointments and only accepts cash. I figured i'd treat it like burger king and have it my way. NOT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:24 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Oh man I loved that great old line you wrote... 'it doesn't have the blocker in it'.. I have heard it many times. This subject really tics me off.. Anyway yes I pay with cash. Some day maybe the real truth of the matter will be shown. My Dr just says no. Sos..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:38 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I was put on Subutex when I got pregnant, I had no insurance at the time. I had so many side effects from suboxone that I opted to stay on subutex after my pregnancy, my doctor had no issue with it and no I am not breastfeeding either. I now have medicaid and ive never had an issue with them not allowing me to be prescribed generic. Im not limited on the amount or anything. Also, both suboxone and subutex can both be IVed with no ill effects.. Naloxone does absolutely nothing in Suboxone, no matter how you take it (well accept maybe make you sweat more and have headaches).. RB just wants doctors to believe it does so their product gets pushed and subutex doesnt. Naloxone isnt the blocker in either form of sub, the bupe is what actually blocks other opiates. Naloxone has no reason to even be in it because people can still take it however they want but as far as keeping suboxone from being abused like subutex, NO, they both can be abused the same.. the only difference between the 2 is price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If you haven't already read Dr J's latest post at www.suboxonetalkzone.com. It addresses this very issues and gives an indisputable argument why money shouldn't be wasted on brand name Suboxone when generic Subutex is exactly the same functionally.
(my doc has all her patients on brand name Suboxone, as did the Sub docs I've been to in the past. I don't fight it because I have good insurance. But I honestly believe the only reason they prescribe it is because they are getting all their info. from RB)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:13 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

My doctor says the same thing.

It was on probably my second appointment ever that I asked him about Subutex and right away he said "I'm not aloud to prescribe it unless you're pregnant or nursing which I doubt you'll be having any issues with that tehehehe..." cuz I'm a guy, get it? Ya, so anyways, now like 8 months later, my doc is telling me that they are now DISCONTINUING Subutex all-together which I thought was what was happening for a while but now I'm becoming aware that it is just the suboxone tablets.

And then when I ask about the Suboxone tablets, he asks me if they are being discontinued like I'm going to know because I'm on them?

So I really think on my next appointment I am going to ask why it is he can't prescribe Subutex when they are just as abuseable really and see what he says because I have always felt so much better on subutex than suboxone and I want to find a doctor who will prescribe it because when it comes time for me to be put on those nasty strips, I just know I am going to want to be on subutex even more!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I know this is an old topic, but just wanted to chime in: I started out taking Suboxone, and had the most ridiculous migraines and bouts of nausea. My PA at the time switched me to Subutex and the migraines and nausea vanished - turns out it was the Nalx that was causing them. Fast forward to this year, and that memo to "stop RX of Subutex to anyone unless they are prego" started circulating, the main Doctor wanted me booted off of Subutex. If it wasn't for documented months I had of being on Suboxone and having a bad reaction, I'm sure I would have been. As far as I know, I'm the only non-prego in the clinic on Subutex.

That doctor hardly cared that I had a bad reaction to the Suboxone, the PA stood up for me. A cost issue would have amounted to absolutely nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:56 pm 
The content of this message has been removed because this member has been banned for troll-like behavior.

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:59 pm 

Venir is the same person as shoeswoosh from yesterday, who was banned for troll-like behavior. He just created a new identity. Venir is banned.

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:03 pm 

Sospirae wrote:
I know this is an old topic, but just wanted to chime in: I started out taking Suboxone, and had the most ridiculous migraines and bouts of nausea. My PA at the time switched me to Subutex and the migraines and nausea vanished - turns out it was the Nalx that was causing them. Fast forward to this year, and that memo to "stop RX of Subutex to anyone unless they are prego" started circulating, the main Doctor wanted me booted off of Subutex. If it wasn't for documented months I had of being on Suboxone and having a bad reaction, I'm sure I would have been. As far as I know, I'm the only non-prego in the clinic on Subutex.

That doctor hardly cared that I had a bad reaction to the Suboxone, the PA stood up for me. A cost issue would have amounted to absolutely nothing.

There are quite a few people who have tried to get on subutex for the exact same reason. They are sensitive to the naloxone. But RB, the pharma company who makes suboxone, pressures doctors to only prescribe subutex, which is now generic, to pregnant women. They don't want people on subutex because they don't make any money off the generic medication. Total corporate BS!

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm in the same situation, but got around it. My do c said that as long as we had a documented clinical reason for Subutex vs Suboxone, we would be fine. He also makes me do more urine tests than normal, but thats no big deal. So you might ask your doc if he could consider the Subutex if you do more urine tests to confirm that you are not diverting.