It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:39 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I just received a letter in the mail that was dated 10 days ago from my doctor of two years notifying me that he is going to stop accepting insurance due to the reduced amount of money that insurances pay.

I feel completely blind-sided and didn't see this coming whatsoever. I don't really know what to do from here. The only two options I really have is tapering or finding a new doctor. I do plan on tapering off of suboxone completely at some point but would have rather be able to do it on my own terms. Finding a new doctor can be extremely difficult, especially a good one that is experienced.

My plan for now is to take one thing at a time. When I go to see him next week I am going to ask for an increased dosage (currently at 16mgs) and for an additional prescription that I can fill the following month. I won’t take that additional amount of suboxone but rather build a stash to have on hand as a backup. Depending on what he says I'll have an idea if i need to find a new doctor. With the 100 patient cap there will probably be many other patients of his in my area looking for new doctors making it that much harder for me in an already filled area.

Any suggestions or input would be great. Unfortunately i think this stuff is more common than it should so maybe some of you have gone through a similar situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:21 pm 

What a crappy situation! I'm wondering if your doctor would consider a deal. If he's not making enough money off his suboxone patients, maybe he could still take insurance but charge an extra fee that you could pay out of pocket? I don't know if there's a way to do that and still be legal, but he could call the fee whatever he wanted.

Has he told you how much he is going to charge for a sub office visit? If I were in your situation, I would immediately try to find another doctor, make an appointment with that doctor for after a visit with your current doctor. See how flexible your current doctor is willing to be, but have options. Your plan to get as much sub prescribed as you can is a good one.

I'm sorry your doctor has gotten so greedy.

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:08 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

That is a very good idea. I will definitely ask him about that when I see him. I think the office visits are somewhat around $175 but it may be more. For some reason I'm getting the idea that this may be an excuse for him to kick a great deal of people out of the program so he can retire. He mentioned this to me a while ago that he was planning to retire but I didn't expect it to be this soon since he isn't that old.

Thanks for replying with such great advice.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: insurance
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:29 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

You can also check with your insurance to see if they will reimburse you if you submit his statement. Find out what your actual out of pocket costs are going to be before making a decision. PAX