It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:21 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

My doctor does not take insurance. I have to file my own. He charges me $150.00 cash for each visit and an extra 15.00 when they do a Ua....The other day I called his office to change my appointment by one day. It was no problem (a day later). Then the sec. asked me what insurance I am on?? I told her Aetna. She asked me to bring my insurance card in the next time I came. I was nice and just said ok, sure. Why would they want my insurance card if they don't use it????

I am still taking my klonopin and serequel to help me sleep at night. It would be on my insurance card and therefore a problem. What should I do??? I just can't sleep...wake up at 300 every MORNING ALWAYS!!! I do not think it is causing me any resp. depression and my husband hands it out to me and keeps it locked up. I know I would be addicted to it if it were not given to me....I also feel from what you guys say that I shouldn't be taking it. Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Slipper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:27 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

slipper wrote:
My doctor does not take insurance. I have to file my own. He charges me $150.00 cash for each visit and an extra 15.00 when they do a Ua....The other day I called his office to change my appointment by one day. It was no problem (a day later). Then the sec. asked me what insurance I am on?? I told her Aetna. She asked me to bring my insurance card in the next time I came. I was nice and just said ok, sure. Why would they want my insurance card if they don't use it????

I am still taking my klonopin and serequel to help me sleep at night. It would be on my insurance card and therefore a problem. What should I do??? I just can't sleep...wake up at 300 every MORNING ALWAYS!!! I do not think it is causing me any resp. depression and my husband hands it out to me and keeps it locked up. I know I would be addicted to it if it were not given to me....I also feel from what you guys say that I shouldn't be taking it. Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Slipper

Also..I have been on subutex for 8 mo. with no problems..good patient clean ua's (I don't take the klonopin the night before a visit...I don't know how my ua s are clean. I am scared...scared to try to get off the klonp. and scared of what tey might do if they found out...one PA gave me a script for Lunesta for sleep (along with my subutex refill...said it was not addictive...itis a class iv...so it is addictive isn't it? I had to fill it as it was on the same script with my sub..??

I'm really in a mess here..could someone please advise me??? Thank you so much

Slipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:33 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I suggest you are honest with your dr. I also was on klonopin and had to stop it as I was going onto methadone. You say you don't have respiratory depression, but how do you know? It is extremely dangerous mixing benzoes with opiates at all. As far as taking lunesta, I was prescribed that for my first week on the suboxone. I took it for 3 days but found that it made me extremely groggy in the morning and gave me cotton mouth. I am now taking melatonin, which for me, has done just as good a job as the lunesta putting me to sleep without the groggy/drymouth thing.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: again.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:17 pm 
Lunesta is indeed a schedule 4 controlled substance, the same as Ambien, Klonopin, Xanax, Valium, etc.

The main problem as I see it is that you are being deceitful with your doctor. If it's truly not a big deal, why not just tell your doctor about it? If I were you, I would explain the situation, that you have been taking Klonopin/whatever for X amount of time, you feel it's the only way you can sleep but you know that you are going about it in a deceitful way and you wanted to let him know.

Klonopin doesn't always show up on UA's, it's just a known fact in the medical field. It's unpredictable, though, it may randomly show up at some point; Klonopin stays in your system for a month, so one day of skipping before a UA makes zero difference.

BTW, it sounds to me as though you ARE addicted as the medication is on your mind regularly, you're hiding the fact that you're on it from people who might threaten your continued use and you're likely also physically dependent.

I too took benzodiazepines (and even a barbiturate) for YEARS because "I couldn't sleep without them." Benzo's and sleeping pills like Ambien and even Lunesta are NOT best used chronically as sleep aids; they become less effective over time, dependence develops, etc. I haven't taken benzo's for three years, I did an extremely slow taper working with my Dr to get off them, it sounds like I was taking A LOT more than you are, but still it's best to be careful with depressant titration. After ultimately getting off, my sleep was disrupted for months after, but today I sleep better with no benzo's than I did in the last years of being on benzo's.

I'm guessing your Doctor's secretary/nurse just saw that your insurance information wasn't on file and wants to get it their system...I'm not sure... But, 'tricking you' to get your insurance card would be the last way they would go about finding out what medications you are on, with the elaborate tracking systems available in many states to Dr's/Pharmacies, it's a couple clicks away from their office/pharmacy.

Sounds to me like after posting about this issue multiple times, you know what the right thing to do is.

-Travis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:45 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

travispnorton wrote:
Lunesta is indeed a schedule 4 controlled substance, the same as Ambien, Klonopin, Xanax, Valium, etc.

The main problem as I see it is that you are being deceitful with your doctor. If it's truly not a big deal, why not just tell your doctor about it? If I were you, I would explain the situation, that you have been taking Klonopin/whatever for X amount of time, you feel it's the only way you can sleep but you know that you are going about it in a deceitful way and you wanted to let him know.

Klonopin doesn't always show up on UA's, it's just a known fact in the medical field. It's unpredictable, though, it may randomly show up at some point; Klonopin stays in your system for a month, so one day of skipping before a UA makes zero difference.

BTW, it sounds to me as though you ARE addicted as the medication is on your mind regularly, you're hiding the fact that you're on it from people who might threaten your continued use and you're likely also physically dependent.

TRAVIS: You are SO right about everything you said about me. I am addicted to the damn stuff. I take 2mg. in the am with the 100mg. serequel and 2mg. with the serequel in the pm. ...even though my husband is handing it out I haven't told him my sub doc doesn't think I should take it. My reg. doctor knows I take the sub and he is the one giving it to me....but he doesn't know anything about sub...so I really haven't been honest with anyone. I think I will explain to my sub doc that I have been on this for a long time bla bla because I am tired of being dishonest and worrying about everything. I know also that i need to titrate off this klonopin and forget the lunesta...it does not help anyway(the lunesta). I'm scared to get off...I have been through h orrible withdrawals with benzos and once valium which is really a barbituate. But if I let my husband deal them out and go slow I should be allright.

I believe what you say...that if I ever get past these sleep meds and the aftermath of them I will someday sleep again...and that is REAL sleep isn't itTravis? I also realize I cannot really get on with my life sober on sub with this hanging over me...I do think about it a lot and i probably am physically dependent. Thanks for your post, Travis, it really made me think about things...i know you are right and I need to make some changes. I think my doctor will understand. He is really a nice man and will listen to me.

I appreciate your post....more than you know.

Slipper

I too took benzodiazepines (and even a barbiturate) for YEARS because "I couldn't sleep without them." Benzo's and sleeping pills like Ambien and even Lunesta are NOT best used chronically as sleep aids; they become less effective over time, dependence develops, etc. I haven't taken benzo's for three years, I did an extremely slow taper working with my Dr to get off them, it sounds like I was taking A LOT more than you are, but still it's best to be careful with depressant titration. After ultimately getting off, my sleep was disrupted for months after, but today I sleep better with no benzo's than I did in the last years of being on benzo's.

I'm guessing your Doctor's secretary/nurse just saw that your insurance information wasn't on file and wants to get it their system...I'm not sure... But, 'tricking you' to get your insurance card would be the last way they would go about finding out what medications you are on, with the elaborate tracking systems available in many states to Dr's/Pharmacies, it's a couple clicks away from their office/pharmacy.

Sounds to me like after posting about this issue multiple times, you know what the right thing to do is.

-Travis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:04 pm 
Slipper-

I think telling your doctor the real truth is going to be the best thing you can do! Valium isn't a barbiturate, though, it is a benzodiazepine. Phenobarbital and pentobarbital are barbiturates, and they are very rarely prescribed as sleeping medications these days...in fact they are very rarely prescribed EVER, except Phenobarbital for seizures on occasion. There is nothing better than 'real sleep,' as you say. One thing to watch out for: for the first few months after I got off benzodiazepines as I struggled I was thinking "THIS is why I NEEDED benzo's," but the truth is that after riding out the difficult period following tapering off, I’ve been soooo glad I did it (got off.) Be sure to let me know if you have any questions as, like I said, I DID successfully get off benzo's/barbs after many, many years on high dosages, so there’s NO reason you can’t do the same thing!

-Travis

Post subject: TRAVIS:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:06 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

travispnorton wrote:
Slipper-

I think telling your doctor the real truth is going to be the best thing you can do! Valium isn't a barbiturate, though, it is a benzodiazepine. Phenobarbital and pentobarbital are barbiturates, and they are very rarely prescribed as sleeping medications these days...in fact they are very rarely prescribed EVER, except Phenobarbital for seizures on occasion. There is nothing better than 'real sleep,' as you say. One thing to watch out for: for the first few months after I got off benzodiazepines as I struggled I was thinking "THIS is why I NEEDED benzo's," but the truth is that after riding out the difficult period following tapering off, I’ve been soooo glad I did it (got off.) Be sure to let me know if you have any questions as, like I said, I DID successfully get off benzo's/barbs after many, many years on high dosages, so there’s NO reason you can’t do the same thing!

Thank you so much for your support. The reason I thought valium was a barbituate was ..back in the day...before benzo's we gave valium, librium, and phenobarbital. That is all we had. They had really long half/lifes...we were taught that they were barbituates...but I am sure you are right...everything has changed since way back then. I dred that "thing to watch out for" you talked about...no sleep..but I am not sleeping now and if you did it and are happy now , I know I can do it too!!
..and..you sound like you were on way higher doses than me...

Thanks again,
Slipper
-Travis