It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:28 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

yes you heard that right. I went to my 2nd Doctor visit 2 weeks ago was my frst Visit and initial day 1 on Suboxone. I was coming off of 60mg of Methadone the Doctor put me on 16mg. Well today the Doctor started yelling at me cause I had gained 6 lbs in 2 weeks. I had no idea how I gained that much weight in 2 weeks cause I felt like crap and hardly ate anything at all. I tried to tell the Doctor that even last night I had a bad case of restless leg syndrome and didnt get any sleep, before I could finish my sentence he started yelling at me to stop cause he didnt want to hear my excuses. I thought that he might raise my dose by 2mg/day but he said that in 2 weeks that he is going to drop my dose down. I just can't believe my luck or lack there of in picking Doctors. I thought that this guy actually cared about me. yes I do need to loose wight, but I am not obesse by any means. Today is my Birthday my family came down to visit, but I am in the worst mood, my sister baked me a carrot cake and now I can't even eat any of it. I am just sick and tired of these Doctors acting like they can say and do anything they want to, and get away with it basically. yep I sure can pick Doctors alright

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you!!!! I know it's hard once you are in a bad mood, but try not to let that doctor spoil your day. Are there any other sub doctors in your area? If so, you might want to start getting a backup plan together in case you can't stick with this one. Some doctors will not charge you a huge induction fee all over again if you are already on sub treatment.

The whole weight thing sounds very odd to me. I know that sometimes my weight fluctuates a couple lbs from day to day, so that's just weird that he would get that upset over 6 lbs. Especially when you just started on a new med, and your body is still doing some adjusting. Sorry to hear that he was not very understanding. Some doctors are so frustrating and difficult!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:28 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I have already found a new doctor and made an appointment. Now I have to go the added expense not to mention of how and what to tell this New Doctor. I have never in my life had anything like this happen to me much less by a Doctor. I was stunned when i saw that I had gained weight. I just started the Suboxone not 2 weeks ago, I haven't felt that great, was not hungry at all so I didn't eat that much. I tried to tel the Doctor that I have been having problems, that I haven't felt good, that I have had problems with restless legs syndrome, am still having mild withdrawals symptoms. But he stopped me at mid sentence, I don't care nor want to hear it is what he said. yes I am overweight but not even close to Obese by any means, not life threatening in any way shape or form. He treats me this way when I have wanted and gone for help to get off of a Pain medication that i didn't want to take in the first place Methadone. I just wonder what some other person would have done, to hell with trying to get help when you have Doctors treating you this way. I mean I paid good money to get yelled at on my Birthday. well that MF-er can go F himself for all I care. Yet Another example of the FINE HealthCare that we have in this country. I call it the CountryClub Health Nation....yes I am more than Pissed.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Happy bday. As of what your Dr said to u is very odd and offending in my eyes. But Tat I right don't let this Dr ruin you day there are many other sub Dr out there just got to find the right one for you.

As of how others would react just like u did do the simple fact these Dr hold a power full thing over us our medication. So no matter how mad u or someone else would get we would keep our mouths shut simply due to the fear of withdrawal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:54 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you!

i am glad you already did get another appointment for a new doctor. you really should not let the weight issue bother u anymore. i too have gained weight while on suboxone. i needed it tho. i asked my doctor if it was normal and he told me i maybe was substituting my addiction for a food addiction. ?? i felt like i didnt eat much more than i did prior.

best wishes for you new doctor. i think as long as you are comfortable tell him everything. i know that for the first time i was honest with a doctor when i went to my suboxone provider. it felt wonderful.

wishing you a great day with your family!! yummy carrot cake. eat some since you have a new doctor!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:42 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

another happy birthday! that is strange. just the opposite for me, went from size 10 to a zero within a year and all the time with the same doctor, he didnt say a thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HAPPY BIRTHDAY :) :) :) :) :) :)

and I'd eat the damn carrot cake if I were you!!!!

LOL

this seems very wierd, just as others have said....
what EXACTLY did he say, if you dont mind me asking??? did he say, you've gained 6 pounds in two weeks, so if you gain 6 more Im going to cancel you as a patient??
Or, if you keep gaining wieght at 3lbs a week, im gonna drop you as a patient???

Just curious........and if you dont want to talk about it cuz your too mad, its okay, just ignore my post!!!! LOL

Hope you had a good birthday anyhow :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have also lost a little weight since being on sub, which is weird because I know I eat way more since starting sub treatment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:20 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I gained all my extra weight while I was on Methadone, so wow if I can loose it whilst on Suboxone then I am all for that. What exactly happened today was this;..................... I was sitting in the exam room, and was thinking of what I wanted to talk to the Doctor about. I have not been feeling that great with still some residual withdrawal symptoms, and also good bit of RLS at night. Which that was keeping up pretty much all night long with my legs just bothering the Hell out of me................. So here he comes into the door......... the first thing he says is "You have gained 6lbs in these last 2 weeks, I have a good mind to Drop You"....I was like aahh..wwhhaattt....I started to say something and he lit into me again. "You need to loose some weight, if you come back here in 2 weeks and have not lost allot of weight consider yourself dropped"............ I was shocked I had no idea this was that important to him. He never said much before about how he was counting pounds, but that I did need to loose some weight of which he didn't have to tell me as I knew that in my mind. The Methadone I have been on for the last 2 years has just killed my Metabolism. I never ate that much, I didn't have a very good appetite, but it was like if I drank a glass of water I gained 2 lbs on the Methadone. I am not obese, or severely overweight. I am a tall and big guy, but have never been a real heavy guy. Usually I am on the skinny side (I rode mtn bikes allot or used to when I was in better shape), just over 2 years ago I weighed close to 190lb and now I am over 240 lbs. yes I know that I need to loose 50+ lbs and it is do-able big time as I am motivated and am ashamed of the way I look. But I am not a fat slob or pig of a guy. I feel I had a legitimate reason to be on the heavy side.............. At this point I started trying to talk about how I was feeling to get his take on why I am still after 2 weeks at 16mg/daily; still having some residual withdrawal symptoms? And also how this RestlessLegSyndrome has me worried. Before I could get halfway thru my thoughts, he raised his hands as if to say "Talk to the Hand" or "I don't want to hear it". In fact that is exactly what he went on to say but at a level that was Yelling pretty loud. I don't want to hear how you feel bad".............. You know my mouth was on the floor at this point, he then started yelling at me again about my weight and how he is not going to have me gaining weight or he will drop me from his Suboxone Clinic. I then again asked him about the RLS, he shook his head and said, I have a good mind to not give you this prescription. And then he went into "are you ready to start dropping your dosage" ?............. At this point all I wanted to do was get the prescription and get out of there in one piece. I ddn't say another word but to ask about the Assistance program, of which he said. "I don't know anything about that, I dont have any idea what you are talking about, ask the Nurse". He turned and left, before I could make it out of the exam room the nurse said to me that they do NOT offer any assistance program and are not involved with trying to help patients with cost savings............ I then had to make the walk all the way through the lobby while everyone knew exactly what was said and went on at my second visit to this Doctor today on my 51 Birthday. What a way to have the rug yanked out from underneath you, just poke a nail in my party balloon today.
I was so disgusted all I could think of was getting the hell outta there. I was really in shock as I have never had someone professional treat me this way. I have had adversaries talk to me like this, but that ended up in the alley. The way where Men settle their differences. Where I come from and the way I grew up; No Man talks to another Man like that especially in public.
So here I am now mad as Hell, especially frustrated that now I have to get yet another Doctor all because of this huge mistake of mine to trust that Pain Doctor that put me on Methadone. And now having to deal with this Idiot with the God Complex. As the afternoon wore on I got madder and madder if there is such a word...lol...I then came back to my senses and told myself that I will Never Ever Trust a Doctor that does Not put my thoughts and feeling first in my treatment.......... This Doctor today never once asked how I was doing on the Medicine, especially since I have only been on it for 14 days. Not once did he show any concern about how I mentioned about having RLS. Nope this Idiot Doctor does not deserve my money or my trust. What will it be next week with this Idiot, having to live up to some crazy idea of his that he pulls right out of his ass ? I got on the phone and found another Doctor, one that has a great Reputation. I will try him out but if he is like the other 2 previous Doctors I will yet be looking for a 3rd Doctor. You know it might just be Me, but I think a Doctor at some point in the exam process should ask you how you feel, you know maybe ask How are the meds/treatment working, do you have any major concerns ? Those type of A-Typical questions; Since those questions are Not typical anymore it seems........Sorry if I come across as a dick, I am honestly a nice guy but I am sick and tired of having to deal with these Demi-Gods for Doctors !...again sorry for the long rant....Happy Birthday to me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzz

well, I think your doing the right thing by going to another doctor.

ive lost about 50 pounds in the last year, since starting suboxone. Its been very slow though, like 4-5 pounds a month.

I was told by my doctor that methadone does slow SOME peoples metabolism, and it can make you 'retain water' or something like that. Which I agree with, becuase I remember my joints being 'swollen' kind of. I dont know if thats the right way to describe it, but I do agree with that. Ive seen that 'look' happen with more than just me.

You do deserve a doctor that will listen to you, and work with you not just walk in the room with an attitude.

I feel really lucky to have the doctor I do. At first I didnt much care for him, but now my fears about him 'dropping me' or anything like that are pretty much gone. That is as long as I hold up 'my end' of the deal. 8)

Wishing you the best of luck. did you say you already made an appt with another doctor???

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That really is disgusting and shockin behavior, especially coming from a doctor. I wouldn't give him another dime of my money. Try not to give him any power over you by getting upset. I know that is easier said than done though. He is obviously an angry asshole, and a very miserable person.

At least you have this forum to vent on, and know that you can bring your frustrations here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:47 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

wow, sorry you are going though that bs from a doctor One Day. The more a read your post the angeryer I became! Your new doc will be of help to you let's hope. I'm lucky also,have a good one.. hang in there an belated happy bday!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Happy late birthday.

You asked what to tell the new doctor. I'd tell him/her exactly what happened. It's so ridiculous that they can't help but believe it. You certainly didn't do anything wrong, so why not tell the truth?

As for your birthday cake, I'd say eat a piece and enjoy it. Everything in moderation. If you want to lose weight - just for yourself - you can achieve that through portion control. I once lost 40 pounds doing that alone.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello and happy 51st birthday One day ata Time!

That is quite a tell-tale! as I was reading your post, and among the rising anger in me that I kept trying to repress, my thoughts continually wandered off in search of knowing why a doctor, who has agreed to abide by the Hippocratic oath to do no harm would treat you thus. Not to mention the doctors participation in a specialized program which facilitates positive results only when the component of compassion is involved. Why on earth the sudden hostility? And for something so remarkably trivial!

I come to no certain conclusions, but I am just going to assume that they were having an awful day, perhaps awful life and wanted to take it out on a patient that they knew they could get away with victimizing. Sense it is no secret that as addicts we are desperate for help, due to 30/100 patient cap and only a hand full of buprenorphine certified physicians pretty much no matter where you are! I bet they felt they could get away with it and not suffer losing the patient. Well, if it is alright with hatmaker510 and the other moderators for me to say this: They is an unprofessional piece of shit that ought to have a surprise DEA audit, hehe. As both a patient and human being, you do not deserve what he spat at you. A persons worth is not defined by their weight, nor by someone else's estimation as to what constitutes well-being and health. I am sorry that you had to endure his malicious mind games. It is good you found a new prescriber. Let us all hope they are the type of doctor some of us here are blessed enough to have as our own bupe docs

Keep up the good work. I look forward to hearing how your next appointment goes.

-Entropy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:47 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thnxx everyone for your positive thoughts and words. Today was a much better day for me. The Nurse for the "Next Doctor" even called to remind me to go by my old Pain Doctor that I havent seen in a month to sign a waiver so they could get my transcripts. From all that I have heard and even from a fellow forum poster on here this NEW Doctor is a very caring and compassionate person. That is exactly what I need, not a Prima-Dona bashing me for not lock-stepping into his idea of what a perfect situation may be. I do not need to be under anyone's care that will Not listen to what I have to say, or even show the least bit of concern about my Well Being. Yes I do need to loose weight, I am NOT obese, and even if I was yelling and threatening have been proved to be Scientifically the wrong course of action.
All my Life nothing has Ever come easy for me. I feel it is because that is the cost for the wonderful life that I have lived so far. I had a solid 8 years on Pain Meds with Absolute Zero issues.

Not until thru the bad economy/loosing a very good job to company went belly up/loosing my Health Insurance/cobra ran out/ Pain Management clinic I went to dropped me because I didnt have Health Insurance. that I ended up with a Doctor that took self pay patients and this Doctor prescribed Methadone, I had no choice but to take the Methadone, I had zero Norcos left, no other Doctors in my area that did see self pay patients. That Choice I made to trust that Doctor and take that Methadone just about Ruined 2 years of my life. Here I am, after all that, yet again paying for my great previous life. Oh well if that is what I have to do to center the Universe so be it. I keep telling myself that the best is yet to come. And truly if that is the case then WOW, because the first half of my life with exception to the last 2 years has been a fantastic Journey.

I'll see you on the other side !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:06 pm 

I'm glad that today is a better day! Your current doctor sounds like such a jackass! Once you're securely in with your new doc, I would write the old one a scathing letter about why he is a poor excuse for a doctor and a terrible human being. It's one thing for a doctor to bring up a concern for your health and to let you know why he/she is concerned, but to treat you so disrespectfully speaks volumes about that doctor's lack of character and empathy.

I grew up hearing my dad constantly berate my mom for her weight, and threaten to leave her for it. And he's a minister! (retired now.) After my mom died 10 years ago, he got remarried to someone thin with the same world view as him and they feed off of each other. They're constantly talking about so and so who "has let himself go." He wrote a terribly insulting letter to his brother last summer all couched in "concern about his health". But really just called him out because he has gained weight and doesn't exercise. Why does he even think it's his business??? Needless to say, I'm not all that close to him because he his attitude just disgusts me. (*Sorry*, rant about my dad over!)

Stick with the people who know you and love you for who you are on the inside! And avoid crappy doctors who view the world through their own butt-hole! You are not a bad person because you are over your ideal body weight. I value you for who you are. :)

Amy

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

One day ata Time wrote:
yes you heard that right. I went to my 2nd Doctor visit 2 weeks ago was my frst Visit and initial day 1 on Suboxone. I was coming off of 60mg of Methadone the Doctor put me on 16mg. Well today the Doctor started yelling at me cause I had gained 6 lbs in 2 weeks. I had no idea how I gained that much weight in 2 weeks cause I felt like crap and hardly ate anything at all. I tried to tell the Doctor that even last night I had a bad case of restless leg syndrome and didnt get any sleep, before I could finish my sentence he started yelling at me to stop cause he didnt want to hear my excuses. I thought that he might raise my dose by 2mg/day but he said that in 2 weeks that he is going to drop my dose down. I just can't believe my luck or lack there of in picking Doctors. I thought that this guy actually cared about me. yes I do need to loose wight, but I am not obesse by any means. Today is my Birthday my family came down to visit, but I am in the worst mood, my sister baked me a carrot cake and now I can't even eat any of it. I am just sick and tired of these Doctors acting like they can say and do anything they want to, and get away with it basically. yep I sure can pick Doctors alright

What an asshole Dr you had. Glad you got rid of him. I think the weight may just be water weight. I think Sub makes your body hold more water. I have been noticing my feet and hands have been swollen especially when I wake up in the morn. Happy Birthday and congratz on the new Dr.