It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: ER doctor
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:56 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I had to go to the ER tonight for vomiting and abdominal pain. He gave me some pain meds and wanted to send me home with some but I just didn't know how to explain the situation. I showed him through my sub docs website what I'm normally given but he then just said.... we don't do that. I'm having an abdominal virus that causes me to vomit and have stomach pain. I hate getting sick on subutex because in emergencies I'm just out of luck. I'm up right now at almost 2 am just crying because there isn't a dang thing I can do. He wanted to give me vicodin.... I knew it wasn't going to do anything though so I didn't take it. I would have been tempted to take more just to make it work. What do other people do when they end up in the ER?

Post subject: Re: ER doctor
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello MBelinda,
That is one of the issues that I worry about as well. However, when i was taking large quantities of pills and i ended up in the emergency room for one thing or another....I found myself in the EXACT same situation. The pain relief wouldn't work too well back in my using days because of my high tolerance .

Flash forward to now, if i have any pain, i usually try pain relief anti- inflammatory meds such as Ibuprofen or hot cold compresses if i have muscle pain or issues.

Taking Vicodin in combination with your Suboxone does help with SOME pain relief if you have surgery or major pain issues. There is information about doing this on this Blog.

Personally, i would take the Vicocin under your Doctors supervision until the pain subsides and then continue on taking the Suboxone. I would only do this as a last resort if the pain is just intolerable and nothing else is working. It is a slippery slope but making the Doctor aware of your situation was a good move.

I wish you the best!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:19 pm 

That's what I'd do too....like raudy said. I wouldn't take pain medicine with my suboxone unless I absolutely had to, like if the pain was just overwhelming. But I'd ok it with my suboxone doctor first of course. If ur doctor said no, then I guess ur just gonna have to suffer through it which would suck. But if he ok'd the pain meds with ur suboxone, maybe that'll help ya through ur pain.

It's a very tricky situation when an addict in treatment has to have pain relief. That's something we all fear. Have u tried taking extra suboxone for ur pain? I had a pretty rough dental procedure done a few yrs ago that definitely warranted pain medicine, but I just took extra suboxone instead and it ended up ok. Maybe that's something u can try also.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've always always spoken with my doctor before I take pain meds. My doctor is very good at helping me adjust my Subutex dose so that the pain meds will work. When he offered the Vicodin I felt hesitant to take his prescription so I ended up with nothing. I've been on Subutex for 2 years. I had gastric bypass surgery so I can't take things like Naproxen. I sent my doctor a message (btw who is a member of this site too). My hope is that I'll start feeling better soon because this virus in my colon is painful and I haven't been able to take my meds that need to be swallowed since Saturday. It makes me experience cramping. Thanks for all of your replies

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:06 pm 

If I were you I'd print out the surgery pain relief blog written by Dr. Junig and show it to your doctor. Forget Vicodin as it won't do much and the Tylenol is not good for your liver. Ask for some Oxycodone or something in that range. If the doctor has an open mind they'll read the paper and comply with the larger dosing suggestion.

Keep taking your Subutex and combine it with the pain meds. It won't get you high but should help some with pain.

Hope you feel better soon,

r

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Belinda, It sounds like you showed him a website regarding Suboxone patients and pain management of such patients and it was totally dismissed, "We don't do that". Girl, that sucks! I mean that was one stern, (or uneducated) Dr. WHAT ARE WE SUBPOST TO DO IN AN EMERGENCY CITUATION SUCH AS THIS, OR WORSE? Doesn't Tramadol work because it's only a partial opiate? I was under the assumption we could always fall back on Tramadol, I've read it right here on this forum. Shine some light on this slippery subject for me please. Couldn't you take 2 Tramadol and get some relief? Rule 62, was it you that the Dr. once told you to take 2 Tramadol and 2 Aleve. I apologize dearly if I am wrong, but it seems like one of the guy Moderators had been prescribed that very concoction for pain before.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:15 pm 

As the others have said in the Talkzone blog there is information on how to manage pain issues.
Rule is correct in that a lower dose of Buprenorphine And Oxy, not Hydro can indeed give pain relief without the high.

On drs orders of course. Hope your feeling better soon.

Razor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for jarring my memory. I didn't even think about reading in the Talk Zone. There are 40 something blogs on chronic pain alone. I will be spending a lot of time there on the Talk Zone. Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:09 pm 

Yes, it was me who mentioned the Tramadol and Aleve. Not anymore. My insurance company said no to that so it's just Aleve alone.

So Bamagurl was just quoting me. Spot on gurl.

r

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

10-4, lol I'm trying out my new phone LOL back on the computer, and I'm getting the hang of Suboxforum via phone. It sure is different!-------Bama girl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:18 am 

Hi All, Just an FYI about tramadol, it was my drug of choice and it can be addictive. It was for me! I have had dual diagnosed clients who were prescribed trams like it was candy without a warning that it can be addictive. I like the idea of taking extra suboxone and an otc. That has been working for me! Have a great day all! Happy Veteran's Day!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:25 pm 

That's what I do too Michelle. I avoid anything else other than suboxone. Now, I haven't had horrible pain issues except for outpatient dentist stuff, but I just took more suboxone and it worked enough to get me by. As addicts, we have to deal with pain differently than others and it sucks but comes with the territory. Around where I live, if I asked for oxycodone to take with my suboxone for pain.....Lord have mercy they'd look at me like a crazy person. I think you'd have to have a very understanding and knowledgeable about suboxone for that to happen (not the sub Dr but the other dr). It's tricky to say the least.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oh boy, if anyone went to the ER 100 times, it's me. Hi, It's Queenie

I had vascular bypasses, amputations, pancreatitis, withdrawals, you name it. Doctors gave me a hard time with pain relief and Suboxone. Some doctors would say, "What is that?" others would say, "I've heard of that but I'm not sure what it is". Then by some miracle I got 2 or 3 that knew what Subs were. Anyway, I got in the habit of saying "I am on Suboxone. It is for opiate addiction and I would whip out a letter from my Sub doctor and Dr junigs explaining it in doctor terms. Also, since my doctors and hospital were all connected, I had my dr. add Suboxone and what it's for into the computer system so all my drs. could see it. Finally, when I was going to have surgery, my dr. would take me off of subs, put me on percocet. I would have my surgery and get adequate pain relief and then I would go back on Subs.

I know it's not easy but you have to educate the doctors. It's a good idea to have a copy of dr. Junig's explanation of suboxone and surgery with you when you have to go to the ER.

We have to continue to educate our doctors.

Love, Queenie