It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello. I have been having an allergic reaction to the drug Naloxone, the seconde medication in suboxone film. I have been on subs for 42 days now. Which means I have had a headache/migraine 8 hours out of the day everyday progressively getting worse everyday. I have brought this up to my doctor every time I see him, which is every week. He says the medication is NOT giving me a headache and to have my primary care doctor deal with it. But I have had many experts and Pharmacist tell me I am hypersensitive to Naloxone and to have my doc put me though a Subutex trial to see. I asked my doc to do this and he flipped out on me threatening to kick me outta the program. Can he do this? just because I am concerned for my health? I am thinking about stopping suboxone because I cannot bare the migraines anymore :[ ( I would find another doctor but I can't afford it right now)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Have you tried calling other doctors to check pricing? There are doctors that give you MONTHLY appointments, not weekly as you stated that you were doing...and they are MUCH cheaper. I know of one doctor in my area that charges $110 per visit, which is monthly, for people already taking Suboxone (meaning he doesn't have to do the induction)...

You'd be surprised what you can find that's better than what you've got..no doctor should be so closed-minded as to rule out something in a patients care (which makes me SO thankful to have the dr that I have now)...

My doctor would gladly bend over backwards for me if I asked, but I rarely make any requests to him or ask him for much..we discuss my progress...but I only see my doctor every 3 months.

He has worked with me and given me 12-week appointments since I started with him..and I like his way of treating people. He told me on my last visit when I asked a couple of questions that "Not every patient is the same, so what works well for one person may not work well for another"...which made me feel REALLY good about having him for the past 2 years as my doctor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:30 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yea I have tried calling other doctors. Some of them are really pricey and some are cheaper. But I still have to get the assement appointment which can cost up to 400$ here in Buffalo. I found one that I am gonna try out if I can afford it. I really need to find a caring doctor, not one that just in it for the money. My doc right now is one of those. Drug test every appointment( not that I care about drug screens, it just cost me more money. and it gives him more money) Counts my films every appointment.Checks my veins( was never an IV user) He just doesn't seem to trust me of care about my health or my recovery. I always dread going to see him, and he always asks me why my heart rate is always high, and I wanna tell him it's because of him and he pisses me off. But he will just flip out on me, and I am too hot headed to just sit there being yelled at and accused of lieing. Blah idk what to do anymore.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:07 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Here's another option..you may have to drive further to get to a decent doctor.

When I looked for a new doctor, I did a 'within 100 mile" search, and started with the closest...and kept going out with my phone calls. You WILL find one, eventually...it may just take some time.

Distance shouldn't be a factor.
Ask yourself this:

"How far would I drive to get my pills when I was seeking and using? Would I go an hour away...two hours away...even 3 hours away if there was enough pills to make it worth the trip?"

You know the answer to that question before you ask it to yourself...I would've went cross country if someone had told me there was a magical bag of pills at the end of my trip...
We would've went to any length to get our pills, but we want to put limitations on how far we're willing to go with recovery..and it can't be that way. You have to be willing to give in and allow yourself to let NOTHING stand in the way of you being treated. Nothing would've stood in my way of getting pills if I was near withdrawals..I would've pawned stuff, sold stuff...whatever. And the same mindset should be used for the recovery mindset. You should have that "I'll do what I have to do" attitude about it.

Just keep in mind what the alternatives are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:14 pm 
BUPER, have you considered methadone? Is there a clinic nearby where you live? I wonder if the doctor would change his tune if you told him you'd rather fund the local methadone clinic than get sick when you dose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

NoAlibi wrote:
BUPER, have you considered methadone? Is there a clinic nearby where you live? I wonder if the doctor would change his tune if you told him you'd rather fund the local methadone clinic than get sick when you dose.

There are two methadone clinics i go to one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, the naloxone in sub is thought to cause headaches in some people. From what you are describing (headaches only), I'd say you're more likely just hyper-sensitive to the naloxone and probably not allergic to it though. We've had people who were allergic to ingredients in sub and they had very different symptoms, whereas the headaches from it are more common.

Have you tried spitting out your "juices" (spit) after the film/tablet dissolves instead of swallowing it? That should greatly reduce the amount of naloxone that goes into your system. Many people have done that and gotten rid of their headaches altogether. You can try that while you're looking for a different doctor.

Speaking of finding a new doctor, have you tried ALL of the online sub doc locators? There's four of them: naabt.org, samhsa.gov, suboxone.com, and suboxone-directory.com. Some doctors are on more than one locator, while others are only on one, so it's worth it to check all four of them.

Good luck.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Headaches
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:27 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I had the most horrible headaches the first 2 1/2 days I was on subs (been on them for 5 days now). They were different than any other headache I've ever had, so I know it was from the Suboxone. The headaches lasted for hours and I couldn't move at all because every little move made my head pound even more. Tried aspirin, ibuprofen and Aleve. Then it was suggested here that I spit after the film dissolves, so I tried it after each dose for my last 5 doses and I haven't had a headache since! I was so relieved because I was worried that I might not be able to stay on Suboxone because I couldn't have those headaches every single day. I was thinking about not spitting one of these times just to see if the headache comes back...so I can be sure that that's exactly what it was...but I can't bring myself to do it because I don't want to feel that again!