It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: my doctor is an idiot
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:23 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I just want to vent about my situation. My doctor is something else.

on subs about 5 years total. I finally got up the nerve to tell my doctor I wanted tapered off. literally was afraid to ask out of fear. of course first thing I was told was I would fail and relapse. Yeah, whatever thanks for being positive. After BEGGING he said we'd work on it but he wouldnt lower me that day. hes bipolar i swear and you never know his mood and you dont argue because hell kick you off subs for just that and laugh in your face. People get kicked out for doing much less.

Im rx'ed 16mg a day, I've never taken more than 8mg a day and have recently went to 3mg without his knowledge and no issues so I really just wanted his supervision and that extra push for myself. went for my refill today and after asking he took me to 12mg a day. I tried to talk to him to get an idea of how he wants to do this and asked him what he considers a maintenance dose. he told me 3 strips (24mg a day). I told him how that didnt makes sense because of ceiling effect is 16mg and he insists it doesnt have one. I also told him I felt 2mg is still a very high dose, he told me if I got to 2mg I mise well just stop because I wasnt taking anything. The guy is an idiot. he said we could have me tapered off in 2 weeks if i wanted off fast. I hope thats not how hes planning on doing this, thats insane to me!! there isnt any other sub drs around unless I drive an hr+ no matter who takes me and my current doc is local. I also work for my sub doctor (surprise!) makes things even worse. I know I cant taper off in 2wks without issue and missing work, which I cant afford. really considering switching sub doctors just to get tapered. What do they even teach these drs in the class they take? 8hrs and heres you a slip of paper and your degree in addiction consoling. You know it all!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:43 am 

It certainly is frustrating when a doctor who took an 8 hour class thinks he or she knows everything about suboxone! I'm sure he's one of the doctors who thinks that jumping from 2mg is no big deal. :roll:

I suggest that you continue tapering to a comfortable level while you're looking for a new sub doctor. In the meantime you can stockpile extra strips/pills.

I hope you can find another sub doctor soon!

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Your situation is very similar to my own. My sub "doctor" inducted me on 24mg and had me take an 8mg strip 3 times a day. I was on that dose for well over 2 years and wanted off. I asked him about a taper and his reply was that I would most likely get sick, and needed to remain on that dose for much longer. Well that didn't fly with me and I beagn tapering WITHOUT his knowledge.

I kept going to my appintments and shaking my head yes in agreement at each visit all the while lower my dose, and stockpiling more and more subs. I got all the way to 2mg and felt great while doing it too! I finally told him what I had done and of course he was upset, but eventually he came around to my way of thinking. He didn't have a choice. If he fired me it was ok, I had PLENTY of subs to finish my taper with.

I think it's simply a money thing with SOME of these doctors. They want you on as much sub as possible, for long periods of time, and some the rest of your life. And that may be ok for some, but definitely not for me!

I've continued to taper and now down to .50mg and still doing great. I'll be off very soon and glad of it. I'm not saying you should do what I did, just giving you an idea of my thinking at the time. That 24mg, and even doses much lower than that was just too much bupe for me. I was angry lots of the time and my emotions were all over the place. I did just as well on 2mg as I did on 24mg. Crazy!

I hope you get it figured out and make it work for you. I did try jumping from a 2mg dose, several times in fact and just couldn't do it. I joined here at that point and got some excellent suggestions and support from the members and I'm on my way to being clean soon.

I completely agree with Amy, maybe continuing tapering to where YOU feel you need to be and save the additional subs you have. You will get to a point of having enough subs you might not even have to return to that doctor. Just make a plan for yourself and stick with it. You can do if if I can that's for sure! Good luck and best wishes. Let us know how it goes. Just my opinion here.

Karen xoxo