It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Doctor and your taper
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good morning,
Many of you are, or are planning to taper and stopping buprenorphine. I have a question based on some assumptions:
Your doctor knows you plan to taper and discontinue,
You have a good relationship with your doctor,
The two of you have been working together and you have been receiving support and
encouragement throughout the taper.

My question: Would you want your doctor to tell you he will keep your position open for three months? Would that be perceived as supportive and what is best for you or perceived that I assume
you will relapse and need to get back on buprenorphine.

For some of us we could induct a patient the day you say you are done with us You would then be left having to find a new provider if a relapse occurs and starting over with someone else or hope we have a position open and no waiting list.
I would appreciate your thoughts.
DocM

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:45 am 

Morning Docm,
For personally, if I knew I Could come back in the same place or level f treatment, I might be more willing to consider trying a taper.
To start all over again in the beginner group would A:costly and B losing all the clean time and goodwill that was built up with dr and clinic.

Knowing Id have an easier shot at returning could bolster self confidence and loss of fear..

Im still on maintenance at a dose of 6mgs and holding. But have been considering dropping further.

There just isnt much one on one where I receive treatment. I think addicts like a secure feeling. Hold my spot for 90 days would give confidence, sure...

Razor....41/2 years on bupe....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:45 am 

Thank you for seeking our input! I think that 3 months is very generous. I would even say to give people 2 months. After one month they should be feeling much more normal and that still leaves one month to readjust to living opiate free. I think that 2 months would be fair and 3 months would be generous but still fair.

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks Razor, I hope to get other views as well...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:54 am 

Hey doc :)

Like Amy and Razor, three months would be so awesome. I'd even be happy with one month honestly. I doubt my clinic offers this, but it'd absolutely make me feel much more comfortable in making a decision on starting a major taper. Thanks for taking the time to get our opinions on this.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks, this is helpful. There is such a stigma I don't want to risk (even subconsciously and certainly not intentionally) that a person will fail.
PAX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:15 pm 

What a great question! Knowing I could go back onto treatment is like riding a bicycle for the first time. We feel better knowing there are training wheels on it and we won't get hurt.

On the other hand, will my mind not give 100% to my taper and jump knowing there is a way out? I'm pretty sure I want the safety net in case I fall. (fail)

My doctor has stopped asking me if and when I will stop. Once I told him I'm comfortable on 6 mg's and prefer to stay that way for awhile he just lets it go. He does ask if I do the treatment thing and I always answer that I come here. I will ask him if his other Suboxone patients are like me.

And thanks for always helping out here when you can Doc. We truly appreciate it.

rule

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:44 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Yes Docm2,
I believe that would be beneficial for the ones that are serious about their life and contributing to society. 3 months would give them some time to experience the "clean" life.
On the other hand,
it's like giving them a free 90 day "I can abuse drugs again, my tolerance is low" card.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:09 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I think it depends on the patient more then anything, some need that safety net and others need to know they can't fail. I think 3 months is more then enough.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:20 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I would definitely appreciate having the assurance that I could return if necessary (established relationship with doctor and staff, etc.), and I believe that length of time would permit patients to reach a point of "stabilization" or "this is the way it's going to be", so that they could better evaluate the realities of sobriety and their likelihood of successfully remaining sober.
Thanks,
Morphing