It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:57 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello,

I seem to have a dillema with my doctor and his office. I'm due for my 3 month follow-up on the 1st of march (I last saw them on Dec. 1st)..BUT since I don't have a car at this moment, I have to find a ride....well it seems that EVERYONE I know either has to work during the dr's office hours or don't drive. My aunt can give me a ride Monday's or Friday's, but my doctor office will only see you on the day that your due, no earlier... And if I take Friday, I'll be out for several days, and I really don't want to skip days without my meds...I'm scared to call and beg and tell her my dillema, I keep thinking that it sounds like a drug abusers excuse to come in early......but this time I'm honest, and since this doctor is an hour and half away, it's not like I can just hop on the city bus. I'm scared of getting on his bad side, they always say it's their policy to not have patients come in early for suboxone, which I understand, but do you guys think one day is too early?? I'm scared of getting on the doctor's bad side, and if I lose him, I would have to find a ride even further away as this doctor I'm seeing is the nearest doctor that prescribes subs. I'm sooo stressed over this that I'm making myself ill and vomiting.

What would you guys do?? is what I'm asking of them is too much to come in one day early??

Thank you very much,
SillyPinkBunny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi bunny! It sounds like you just don't have many options here. Asking to come in one day early doesn't sound like an unreasonable request. I'm curious...Does your doctor know that you're an hour and a half away? Does he know you have to get rides from people to come in? If they are aware of this, then when you ask and explain the reason why, you might not have any issues from them. I think you're only real option is to be honest and humbly ask to come in one day earlier.

Do you have any extra sub to get you through for a few days? I would suggest after this appt that you try to set aside a bit of extra sub in case of an emergency. I know I do this as do many others from this site. It relieves a lot of the pressure of having to get refills on the exact day you run out.

Good luck to you. And let us know how it goes. I'm curious as to how your doctor will react to your request.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:35 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I would call the doctor's office, explain your issue, tell them you would like to come in a day early, AND that you are more than happy to bring in your pills for a count so he doesn't think you need this because you ran out early. I don't think it's unreasonable for you to have difficulty getting an hour and a half away when you don't have a car. If they seem rude, just empathize and say I am sure you hear all kinds of excuses and I totally understand why the rules are in place, but I still have a situation.

-Jack

- Winston Churchill

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:17 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Those are both good ideas. I was also just thinking......maybe if your doctor isn't willing to give you your script even a DAY earlier (which is kinda silly IMO), you could suggest that he post date it for the following day, if that makes him more comfortable. Im sure your doctor dosen't want to see you have to go thru w/drawls. And if those are the only days you can get a ride, just explain it all to him.
I had a situation once, right after my doctor switched me from Suboxone to Subutex. I decided to get my script filled w/generic because it's much cheaper. For some reason (probably just my nerves), I found the transition quite difficult and felt that I wouldn't be able to take the generic. I remember being petrified to call my doctor and explain this situation for a new script, for fear he would think I was exhibiting drug seeking behavior. Then I thought, why not just bring in the pills to give to him and he can write me a new script. To make a long story short...I got myself all worked up, to find my doctor and his staff more than willing to help. They barely asked any questions at all. They were more concerened with my well being.
I think- sometimes we as addicts are so eager to get away from the negative shadow we've been under, that we become even more paranoid/worried about everyones interpretations of us. In MOST cases, I think our doctors truly wanna help us and see us succeed in our recovery. We just hafta be willing to be open with them, and more trusting.
I would try any of these suggestions bunny. You'll never know if you don't try. Good luck!! Let us know how it turns out.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:18 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Just call the doctors office and be honest about your ride dilemma one day early is not a big deal and even offer up a suggestion of post dating the script for your next med due date so if ur appt is on a Thurs but your not due for a refill until friday when u go in the office just offer to have the doctor date the script for fridays date!

Post subject: Doctors Office
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:45 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Sounds like you don't want to go to the doctor. I am sure you could ride a bike over there or take the bus. There is no reason you should have to miss the appointment. If it is the first time you should be okay with the doctor but just make sure it doesn't happen again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi, I am not sure if you noticed that this post was from Feb. and I don't think she is around anymore. Also the Dr. is a 90 min. drive away ao I do not think a bike ride is going to work. In my opinion she does want to make it to her appointment and can do so the day before and if her Dr. is not willing to let her come in one day early it is a bit ridiculous. My Dr. always schedules you 2-3 days before you would run out to give you time to get your next prescription as there are times the pharmacy is out or whatever the case may be.

I do not mean any of the above comment to be rude or condescending I was just not sure if you caught how far away her Dr. office is, look forward to posting with you in the future!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oh, and welcome to the forum Westorange!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:52 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was able to get in one day early, which was great. I would of been more then happy to ride my bike or even walk if they where within a reasonable distance from my place. Luckily I got everything figured out with my car situation and don't have to scheadule my appointments around when I could get a ride.

Oh yea, I'm still here....I'm just very quiet lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am happy to hear that you won't be having any problems in the future and to know you are still around! Maybe one day you'll be a bit less quiet and if so I look forward to chatting!