Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Libra wrote:
Bboy42287 wrote:
Yea this is actually a subject i think about alot but

I have a really bad knee injury and end up in the ER from time to time when it gives out to a certain point. any ways i always turn down any pain meds cause NOT ONE DR OR NURSE HAS ANY IDEA WHAT THE HELL IM TALKING ABOUT WHEN I SAY IM ON SUBOXONE I CANT HAVE ANY OPIATES! Then i have to do the whole run down every time. i sware i have told the same nurse this at least 5 times and she still never knows what im talking about. one time they even brought me 2 percocets after i told both the dr and nurse i cant take any opiates cause of the meds im on. its like the complete opposite hear they have no idea what suboxone is!

OMG! I went to the same hospital ER FIVE TIMES in a three month period (way back in the olden days when I wasn't an addict) because of severe stomach pains. Every single time I went, they gave me an ultrasound, sonogram, the whole work up, but never found anything. Hell, they probably thought I was a drug seeker. Each time I went in, I told them that I had already had these procedures at this very same hospital last week/month/whatever to no avail. I was still put through the same test and still sent home with some vague diagnosis of IBS or gas or something.

FINALLY, after my FIFTH time in the SAME ER, some doctor with his head out of his ass decided to look at my history and my complaints and rushed me into emergency, exploratory surgery wherein he found out that my appendix was >< close to bursting. He caught it just in time. Apparently, my appendix was really small and they couldn't see the inflammation or whatever on the ultrasound or sonograms.

Then, since my appendix was on the verge of bursting, I ended up getting an infection and was in the hospital for nearly a week as opposed to the average 2-3 day stay an appendix removal surgery requires. With no insurance, it cost me over $40,000 in hospital bills and even more in doctor bills and radiology bills and bills for this and that and so and so forth...and this was 11 years ago! It'd prolly be double that, now.

Sometimes I think in these large hospitals with all their fancy computer systems and departments for this and that and the other thing, the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing and therefore it's nothing but chaos. It's no wonder our healthcare costs are so high.

Yanno what's funny? Had you gone in SEEKING drugs, they wouldn't have given you a thing. Yet there you were specifically telling them NOT to give you drugs and they were handing them out like MnM's for fuck's sake.

I think if I ever have to go to the ER, I'm going to the hokey little tiny hospital down the road. At least they'd probably recognize me if I came in there five times in three months.

God!

Oh, and good morning everyone! Image

wow this story really touches home. my best friend had a similar case and was in the hospital at least 8 times in one month. always of the same pain to the point were he could barely get out of bed. the first 7 times they said the same thing ibs,gas and constipation. well xmas morning comes around and he shiting out blood cant hold and thing down come to find out he needed emergency surgery and the dr told them after, this could of easily been treated if you came to the hospital a couple weeks ago wow really! his parents blew up and said he has been in the ER 8 times now over this month and your nurse/college graudate dr send us away every time it will fix itself. As of the rest im not sure of the leagal issues but i know his parents did seek a lawyer to talk about what had happen.

That was the one thing that upset me the doctor i told i cant have pain meds was as young as me fresh out of med school. he was asking the nurses questions he should of known. but ERs are so busy around hear that they will take any help they can get.

Post subject: BE PROUD TO BE YOU!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:47 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I have to say- I really don't care what ANYONE thinks about me! People will always be judgmental, that will never change. But I am proud of myself for being where I am and no one (especially strangers whose opinions couldn't matter less) will change the way I feel about myself. My husband and my baby boys are the only people who's opinions matter to me as far as being judgmental goes!! I think people need to realize they are doing a great thing with suboxone, you know it- if other people don't then they must not know much about it! Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi mihonoja,

I see that you're new and I wanted to welcome you to the forum. I have been lucky and haven't run across anyone who's given me a hard time or any judgment about being on suboxone. I'd like to think I'd just ignore them and not let it get to me. The plain fact is my life is all around better and happier because I'm on suboxone. That's all that matters to me and the people in my life. Anyone who doesn't understand that and wants to judge me for being on sub can kiss my ass. Let them worry about their life and I'll worry about mine.

Sorry I got off track there a bit. Anyway, again, welcome to the forum! I hope you stick around.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: I was lucky
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:19 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

When I was having my first meeting with my (young) orthopedist about my knee replacement while going through my history he asked what Suboxone was. I told him it was an agonist/antagonist and that I had been an addict for 17 years with 5 on subs. He seemed interested and told me stories of "frequent flyers" that come to the hospital looking for drugs. (it's a teaching hospital). I told him my sub doc had started to take control of post op pain meds because the sub patients were being grossly undermedicated because of tollerance, and he was very receptive to the idea. Evidently they talked for quite a while and the next time I saw my ortho he asked if my group and doctor would mind if he sat in on a meeting to get a different perspective. Unfortunately I was still in bed but he told me at my next visit that he has a new compassion and understanding for addicts and will now have something to offer besides a snicker and a script for IB 800.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This is a rare bit of good news. I'm glad to hear it, and I hope more doctors follow suit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:54 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have been an ER and Flight for Life RN for 35 years. In the olden days the ER docs thought everyone was a seeker, especially the frequent flyers.

Now days in med school (This may be a federal law) every patient's pain must be assessed, rated and treated appropriately. No one in the last five years I worked looked down upon suboxone, narcotic dependent or benzo patients. Thank God. This stigma will keep improving and never, ever tolerate abuse from an ER person, ask to speak to the Patient Advocate!
ROBIN

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:46 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

i slipped and cracked my skull and blacked out for 10sec and hurt my neck bad. i went to the ER told them i had been on subs and was off for a week now. i only got 1 shot of dilaudid, and nothing to go home with, and i still have a baseball size lump and migraines and neck pain.