It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: doc says go without
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi.

After moving and having been on suboxone 7 months I missed an appointment and it took me so long to get a hold of the clinic that by that time I had been a week without. The clinic told me that if I had made it that long to just keep going without, that they wouldn't prescribe me any, anyway.

Every doc I've talked to since has said the same thing--"Keep going".

However I'm 2 weeks in now and the cravings are bad (I think it gets worse as my mind comes back) and I am losing so much strength from withdrawal.

At this point the only real way for me to get another script would be for me to go back to my using town. You probably get why going there sick wouldn't be a good thing.

Anyway I just wanted to make the point that even doctors don't believe in it. And that that is a hard thing to overcome when moving.

I guess they're right--I've made it 2 weeks--I can keep going... and now I'm afraid that to go back on sub would be a failure.

Dunno. That's all.

Post subject: Re: doc says go without
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well JoJo, I think it's pretty sorry of your doctor to turn you out like that! Sure, if you have been working toward quitting suboxone anyway...this would be a good time to do it. You are probably past the worst of the acute withdrawal, and you very well could start feeling much better very soon.

However, I don't think them telling you to just suck it up and do without is a good thing mentally for you! If this week of abstinence was not on purpose, and you have been thinking that you are going to get your medicine back soon, I just don't think it's right for them to pull the rug out from under you like that!

Quitting suboxone is something that you HAVE to be ready for! You need to have time to mentally prepare yourself, get your body strong, taper to the lowest possible dose to make it easier, and again BE READY!

So here's the question. What do you want to do now? You can either keep knocking on doors and trying to find someone who will help you. Or, you can suck it up and give it a go. Either way, you need to think about it and be really sure that you are doing it because that's what you want. Not because some a**hole doctor left you hanging!

I wish you the best of luck! Let us know if we can help you in any way. And, welcome to the forum! I'm sorry you have had to reach out to us under such terrible circumstances, but we welcome you none the less!

Q

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have no idea what to do. I think I might just go back to my using ground, because at least I know how to get help there... But I also know that is a bad idea.

I was in hospital last 2 nights. They sent me home with an increase in antidepressant (not what I call useful).

I'm just too exhausted to figure it out.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

JoJo,

When you say "go back to your old using ground" what exactly do you mean? Do you mean to get suboxone? Or to go back to your old drug of choice?

I would absolutely exhaust all other options before I would do that. Have you tried calling your doctor and telling them that you are in IMMINENT DANGER OF RELAPSE!!!!!

This situation really bothers me!

Q

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

They had screwed up before so I had already had my Vancouver doc fax a script (which isn't legal) so I couldn't get help from my Vancouver doctors, where I'm from and where I spent a very long time with my DOC (heroin).

Now the system is a lot different here, although I'm not far from Van... I meant go there to get a new sub script but I don't entirely trust those motives.

Also, I know that the Vancouver hospital would do a lot more good than the Nanaimo one. I also have some messed up mental health stuff....

I don't know

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This just drives me crazy! This is exactly what will push addicts to use again. Of course you are on your way to getting rid of the physical withdraws but Suboxone does so much more to help with cravings for opiates.
I would google Sub doctors in your area to find someone else.