It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I just spoke with my doctor and she told me NOT to break my Suboxone pill at all. She said that the manufacturer clearly states that the pill doesn't work the same if broken into pieces. Has anyone ever heard this? She prescribed me 16mg--two 8mg pills a day. She wrote a seperate prescription for 2mg Suboxone. One pill once a day. She didn't know which dosage would best suit me. Now she's saying that I need to get the other prescription filled and take two of the 2mg instead of taking half of the 8mg pill. What's the difference??? They're both equal to 4mg. I asked her why? Why can you not break the pill? And she said she didn't know. Hmmmmm......

Post subject: what doctors know
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:14 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

All I can tell you is that my doctor has instructed me to break the pills and I have never heard anyone say that the pills should not be broken before this. It really doesn't make sense anyway to say don't break the pills--after all they are dissolved under the tongue.

I can also tell you that my doctor seems not to know as much about suboxone as I would wish--I've learned more about sub on this forum than from my doc and also a lot of stuff that my doc seems to just not be aware of. My docotr in fact told me she was "still learning" about sub adn also I told her about this website.

And I've heard others talk about this problem too-we want to rely on our doctors but unfortunately some of them aren't as experienced with sub as we'd hope.

I'm sorry I can't offer you any solid advice here, but I just wanted to let you know that I have never heard of any reason why sub pills should not be broken and that my doctor specifically instructs me to break them.

It's also not clear to me from your post if your doc has now changed your dose to 2 mgs a day or 4 mgs a day. I think either is a pretty low dose. IN any case, I hope you start feeling better on the lower dose.

I wish I could be of more help, but anyway, I wish you luck, and I hope you keep posting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree with auto - there's absolutely no reason why you can't break up the pill. My doctor recently reduced me from 3 pills a day to 2.5 a day (I use it for pain), to me that means he's telling me to break it in half. I honestly don't know why your doctor would say such a thing. At first I thought maybe she just didn't want you to be your own doctor and mess with your dose, but now I find myself wondering. It's weird...VERY WEIRD.

Take care and I hope you get to feeling better soon.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:27 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I also have no idea why the doctor would have advised you against splitting your pills...

I have only been on Suboxone for about a week, but I have been splitting my pills (I have pain issues that need to be addressed every few hours or so) since day one and have noticed no depletion in effect from the pills. I know that many people split their Suboxone tablets, and have no adverse side effects from it. I doubt that you'd lose any of the medication that way. In fact, I think that the Suboxone seems to be MORE effective (at pain relief anyway) when I break them into smaller pieces and put them all under my tongue at the same time....so I don't think that taking the tablet whole would have more of an impact on the absorption. In fact, I think it might even have less of one...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Pills that are "meant" to be broken into halves (or even quarters) will generally be scored with a line indicating where the pill can be broken. When the pill manufacturer does this, they are indicating that the pill is formulated in such a way that the active ingredient in the pill is evenly disbursed throughout the pill - so when you break it in half you are indeed getting half of the doseage of the pill in each half.

Suboxone pills are not scored - they have an imprinted logo of a sword or something - so technically they are not meant to be broken into smaller doses. Everyone does it though. My Sub doctor was of the opinion that it was ok to break the pills in half, but breaking them into smaller bits like quarters he thought might impact the amount of active ingredient that you'd get in each piece. So when I got down below 4mgs a day he prescribed the 2mg pills to me.

I was shocked to find that the 2mg pills are not really that much cheaper than the 8mg pills. I was lucky to have insurance that paid for my prescription, otherwise I would have been angry about paying so much for the smaller pills.

In any case, I broke my pills into quarters anyway and never had any problems with it. I think with the long half-life of Sub that even if your dose varies a small amount from day to day you don't really notice it.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My husband is an MD and he said they are meant to be broken. Also, the doctor I used when I was going through induction broke them right in front of me after I got the prescription filled. Can't imagine any reason why they shouldn't be broken. Also, the information from the pharmacy would state something like do not crush, chew or break etc if there was harm in doing so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Actually, the tablet DOES have a score. But with or without, the doc who said it can't be broken is completely incorrect-- and it always irritates me when I hear about a doc making stuff up that makes no sense! I actually recommend people break up the tablet, as there are three things that affect absorption: concentration of buprenorphine in saliva (so you want a small volume of saliva), the amount of surface area for absorption (so spreading it over ALL surfaces in the mouth will increase absorption), and time (so let it contact the the surfaces for a good ten to fifteen minutes, and don't rinse with food or liquid afterward).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:44 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Like the doc said I always thought that little cross was a score. Only thing is they can be a bitch to break evenly but I assume every pill junkie has a pill crusher which usually come with a splitter (mine does anyway). Oh and by the way, the fact that they have a cross on them gets some of the Jesus fanatics in the meetings I attend to take that as a sign from god that suboxone is all high and mighty. What ever works for you. I've heard people refer to it as the cross pill (wonder if that was premeditated). Everyone have a great weekend, might rain here in the mid-west, oh well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:47 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Like the doc said I always thought that little cross was a score. Only thing is they can be a bitch to break evenly but I assume every pill junkie has a pill crusher which usually come with a splitter (mine does anyway). Oh and by the way, the fact that they have a cross on them gets some of the Jesus fanatics in the meetings I attend to take that as a sign from god that suboxone is all high and mighty. What ever works for you. I've heard people refer to it as the cross pill (wonder if that was premeditated). Everyone have a great weekend, might rain here in the mid-west, oh well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:30 am 
After someone said that wasn't a score I tried to get more info from the manufacturer's website but couldn't find anything. Interestlingly, if you cut on the long part of the sword you get halves, but if you cut on the short line first and then the long line you get exactly thirds. So I still think the marks are cutting guides. Just MHO.