It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Diving medical dramas
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I went to get my diver's medical, just around the corner from where I live. I rocked up, and started filling in the paperwork. Everyone I had asked told me not to lie, and be honest. I had reservations about it. But I went ahead, and revealed some stuff.

- Do you suffer from a mental illness - yes.
- What medications are you taking - lithium, lamotrigine * (I left out the interferon, riba as I won’t be on them then)
- Have you suffered any liver disease - yes.

They were the three that came close to bringing me undone.

When I first met the doctor, he seemed warm, respectable. Quite old, running a quiet clinic. There was a professional warmth in the rapport. But as he read that list, and started asking questions... things changed. I explained to him that I had bipolar, and my mental health issues hadn't gotten acute since my early 20's (which is true, except for the liver treatment symptoms). He asked me about the liver disease, I told him I had Hep-C antibodies, but no detectable virus, which is true. His response was "well that doesn't make sense at all." He then asked me if I had a history of using drugs, and I told him I used a bit when I was younger. Then the room got quite chilly.

He continued poking and prodding, commented on the mark on my arm ( “that seems like more than just dabbling” ), then made me do a dipstick drug test. With a plastic cup he found buried in the back of his kitchen. After passing the physicals and the drug test all fine, he sat me down, and he said:

"You seem really blase. The thing about diving is that people have to buddy up with another diver. I know I wouldn't be willing to dive with you. I really doubt your friends can rely on someone like you.”

I found it hard to contain my anger at that statement. Here's a guy who doesn't even know me? While I didn't get aggressive. Well maybe I did a bit. I did sit up straight, stare intensely, and challenge what he said.

"How can you sit there and say that my friends can't trust me? They know me a lot better than you. Is it because of the mental illness? Because I used to use drugs?"

"I didn't say they couldn't trust you. I said they couldn't rely on you. I take your anger as further evidence that you shouldn't be diving."

Can someone please tell me. What kind of self-respecting person would tolerate being told their friends can't rely on them? Based on medical history? A history of addiction? After all that rigmarole, he did agree that if he got a letter from a psychiatrist, I would get my license. I really hope he didn't just say that to make sure I paid some money before I left though. Then as I walked away, and disected and fumed. I realised that... if his only reservation was that my friends cannot rely on me. Apparently he cared a lot less about me hurting myself! :shock:

I haven't come up against attitudes like this for some time. It's really infuriating.

The only way I could possibly absolve this guy of his comment would be if he said it to "test" me, and see if I cared for my friends. But it's a long shot, really. Most likely he was just bigoted.

Anyway, I can still get my license, after all that. The airfares are booked, accommodation. Great barrier reef, here we come. This is the place my mates & I booked:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:58 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

tearj3rker wrote:
I went to get my diver's medical, just around the corner from where I live. I rocked up, and started filling in the paperwork. Everyone I had asked told me not to lie, and be honest. I had reservations about it. But I went ahead, and revealed some stuff.

- Do you suffer from a mental illness - yes.
- What medications are you taking - lithium, lamotrigine * (I left out the interferon, riba as I won’t be on them then)
- Have you suffered any liver disease - yes.

They were the three that came close to bringing me undone.

When I first met the doctor, he seemed warm, respectable. Quite old, running a quiet clinic. There was a professional warmth in the rapport. But as he read that list, and started asking questions... things changed. I explained to him that I had bipolar, and my mental health issues hadn't gotten acute since my early 20's (which is true, except for the liver treatment symptoms). He asked me about the liver disease, I told him I had Hep-C antibodies, but no detectable virus, which is true. His response was "well that doesn't make sense at all." He then asked me if I had a history of using drugs, and I told him I used a bit when I was younger. Then the room got quite chilly.

He continued poking and prodding, commented on the mark on my arm ( “that seems like more than just dabbling” ), then made me do a dipstick drug test. With a plastic cup he found buried in the back of his kitchen. After passing the physicals and the drug test all fine, he sat me down, and he said:

"You seem really blase. The thing about diving is that people have to buddy up with another diver. I know I wouldn't be willing to dive with you. I really doubt your friends can rely on someone like you.”

I found it hard to contain my anger at that statement. Here's a guy who doesn't even know me? While I didn't get aggressive. Well maybe I did a bit. I did sit up straight, stare intensely, and challenge what he said.

"How can you sit there and say that my friends can't trust me? They know me a lot better than you. Is it because of the mental illness? Because I used to use drugs?"

"I didn't say they couldn't trust you. I said they couldn't rely on you. I take your anger as further evidence that you shouldn't be diving."

Can someone please tell me. What kind of self-respecting person would tolerate being told their friends can't rely on them? Based on medical history? A history of addiction? After all that rigmarole, he did agree that if he got a letter from a psychiatrist, I would get my license. I really hope he didn't just say that to make sure I paid some money before I left though. Then as I walked away, and disected and fumed. I realised that... if his only reservation was that my friends cannot rely on me. Apparently he cared a lot less about me hurting myself! :shock:

I haven't come up against attitudes like this for some time. It's really infuriating.

The only way I could possibly absolve this guy of his comment would be if he said it to "test" me, and see if I cared for my friends. But it's a long shot, really. Most likely he was just bigoted.

Anyway, I can still get my license, after all that. The airfares are booked, accommodation. Great barrier reef, here we come. This is the place my mates & I booked:

Lie next time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That's the lesson hey slipper.