It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Disease announcement
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:40 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Today I received an email from HHS (Health and Human Services) alerting doctors to a break-out of.... opioid dependence!!!! I appreciate the recent promise that the cap will be raised sometime this year.... and I'm glad that someone in the current administration is willing to recognize that young people are dying from overdose in record numbers. But really... pointing out the problem in an 'alert'? Now?

Post subject: Re: Disease announcement
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:47 pm 

Well Dr Junig, it is good to know that the Government is on board and getting the word out!! As we know they at times seem to drag there feet. (Haha)...

The President is coming to my state of West Virginia to meet many other government officials and professionals in the treatment field here. I believe it is next week in Charleston. Im guessing my dr will be there as he is the first Dr to rx Buprenorphine in the state.

Hopefully the conference will bring to light how very important MAT is and how it saves lives ....wish i could be there..

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I suppose better late than never! It's just sad how some diseases are more politically-important than others... I remember in the 1980's, when the press tore Reagan apart for not making HIV a priority. Of course, HIV was an important issue... but when Reagan apologized in 1990 for 'neglecting the AIDS epidemic', there were about 50,000 deaths from the disease, total, in the prior ten years. http://www.factlv.org/timeline.htm

In the past 7 years, over 200,000 people have died from drug overdose-- with no comment at all from the White House. Those are a lot of dead young people-- and apparently the political calculation has been that ignoring the problem was the best strategy.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:41 pm 

I remember reading an article about 2 years ago about the epidemic in West Virginia and how many people were dying. The name "Hillbilly Heroin" probably came from WV is my guess. Maybe those in charge don't read news articles. Hmmm.

Tom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I heard this in NPR yesterday. Unfortunately, the only actual remedy that was mentioned was cutting back the # of tabs per opioid script. Heroin anyone?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:32 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

A little FYI. My wife has a very severe case of Restless Leg Syndrome. For the first 30+ years of her life all the doctors she talked to said that it's all in her head. Her father had it and used alcohol to pass out every night. Then a new drug comes out called Requip and viola, it is now a recognized disorder. The Requip didn't work and she fell asleep in 2 hours of taking it so she stopped. We had no night life at all.

The reason I mention this is because she found the best treatment for it is hydrocodone, and that was by accident. She's been on it for about 8 years now and is fearful of it being taken away. When she takes her dose all the symptoms go away. If she doesn't, she is up all night with me massaging her legs. She says it feels like ants crawling up and down her muscles constantly. Her new doctor told her it's the worst case he's ever seen and has no problem prescribing the medication. She even gets it in her arms when it's bad.

Here's the problem. Now she has to take a urine test every month to get her script. That is because the DEA changed the schedule on it so she can't get any refills. What a waste of money! Our insurance now pays over $600 per month for every drug screen, and we have to pay the co-pay for her going in each month. She is not an addict and takes them responsibly. (what's that like?)

I have no problem with it because I take Suboxone and know they won't do anything for me. No cravings, no bad thoughts of slipping. Is it the best way to recover? Probably not, but there's not much choice in this matter. She's tried tramadol and other drugs and nothing works like hydro.

So now the DEA treats all patients who take hydro like an addict. For the first few months CVS wouldn't even fill her script stating they won't let them order enough. She went through w/d's about 3 different times due to the DEA. What wonderful people they are.

Sorry for hijacking this topic but I wanted the other side out there. If her doctor does what Lilly said our life will be bad again. Maybe one day they'll invent another drug that actually works, but until then it's in our house 24/7.

Thanks for letting me vent.

BD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:28 pm 

I think you missed Lillies point completely. And the meaning of this whole short thread..

Government is slow, Government swings to far the other way to fix things and many times people get hurt or hassled.

I believe Lully meant that the NPR answer WAS to take away More meds that people needed. Thats what I got out of it. And not that this would be a good thing to do.They didnt talk about recovery useing MAT or whatever.

My wife has to do the samething each month and isn't an addict either. .so I get the other side of it .
The fact is the Government is just now really looking in to tbe Opiate problem as a whole. .

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:54 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thanks Razor, and yea, I got her point. It was just a rant and I apologized for hijacking the topic completely.

It just seems when the government is involved, people pay the price. I did not like seeing my wife suffer through w/d's but she didn't really complain too much about it. Not like us whinny addicts do! She does take tramadol if the supply runs out. That puts a damper on the withdrawal but does nothing for the RLS.

You still haven't figured me out yet, have you?

BP

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:26 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:D :D

Oh, I got it now... :wink: ..i need one of thoses.....but, ya, good points for sure

Razor57....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:53 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

razor55 wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:D :D

Oh, I got it now... :wink: ..i need one of thoses.....but, ya, good points for sure

Razor57....

???What???

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:02 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Morphing, we are old friends. I haven't been here for awhile, that's all.