It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Disappointed Son...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:32 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey guys,

My name is Jason and my mom has been addicted to Suboxone for the past 3 years. She has been in and out of treatment for the past two and she keeps telling our family that she has changed her ways, I'm all she has left but I still find her pill bottles around the house. I know that sobriety doesn't happen over night... and she keeps going to NA and AA meetings but still uses... I don't know who to talk to besides people who might have been there before. I just want her to be back where she used to be. I have many friends who do drugs but they are straightforward with me about how they feel on their specific drugs... I just want to know more about it like how addictive it actually is or if she is just not trying to come off the drug.

Any comments or suggestions on how I should handle the situation are greatly appreciated.

Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There is no withdrawal like the withdrawal from coming down from opiates. And Heroin withdrawal is no different. I'm not sure if any of your friends have ever abused prescription drugs, but the abuse of opiates is VERY widespread. It's NOTHING to have an addict lie to you, just remember, it's NOT your mom that's lying. It's the person that she has become, the addict in her...and that addict is a cruel, cold-hearted and spineless person. Your mom and the real person is hidden, it's like she's being forced to hide away while the addict is what people get to see. That's where the deception comes from, and the guilt that she feels is the true self in small moments of clarity. You cannot fault her for becoming victim to a very bad disease.
And with that in mind, opiate addiction and opiate abuse should be treated a such -- a DISEASE. Just like if she needed insulin, she needs something to replace the opiates in her body and make her feel normal again without taking them.
There aren't many prescription drugs out there besides opiates that will physically make you sick if you suddenly stop taking them. Opiates are not, by far, the only ones that do this to someone, but it's not a huge list of drugs that cause it. So keep in mind, if she suddenly stopped without taking anymore, you could see that addict become an enraged, mean, callous and careless person who will say and do ANYTHING just to get more...depending on how bad her addiction is.

You have GOT to get her into a professional treatment setting, one way or another. I would try reasoning with her to go with you...walk with her step by step and be there for her. And explain to her that you KNOW this isn't the person that you know and love..and that she's become someone else. Usually you can get past the thick skin of an addict and hit home if you say enough of the right things...but the main thing is don't place blame. Don't start out by telling her what she's doing wrong. Tell her she isn't alone, and that you're there for her, and will stay by her side to help her through it all. Call around and find places she can get help...whether methadone or Suboxone. I personally recommend Suboxone because of the HUGE ability to take the withdrawals completely away from a person and make that person feel normal again...it's a wonderful drug and works great...and don't fall into the trap that some here tell you by calling Suboxone "replacing one with another." IT'S FAR FROM THAT!

Post subject: Feel your pain
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:25 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

The truth is no doctor, rehab center or meetings will help her until she wants to quit!
You can't help her until she is ready to help herself. The biggest mistake loved ones make is thinking your mom has a choice!
It is a disease that takes over your soul!!! The best thing you can do isbe there for her when she hits rock bottom!
That's when you will be able to help her and rebuild your relationship.

Educate yourself on addiction, withdrawl and effects on the brain so you will know what to expect.

I wish you the best of luck!!!

XXX
ZERO