It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Okay so let me try to make this as easy as possible to understand

I have been on suboxone for about 7 years now. Currently take a half a day (4mgs). I am about to be accepting an offer for a high paying construction job. Well at this new job, I am being offered a base hourly rate, and insurance is given to you at no additional cost. The only problem is, there is ABSOLUTELY no way this job would allow me to Lee my job is I actually informed them of being on suboxone. They just don't understand the drug. And the stigma with suboxone is bad. They would say since I would be working with machinery, corporate policy would not allow them to hire me for legal reasons (if I informed them).

So here are the facts:

I will be given drug screen and background check... Drug screen does not treat for buprenorphine (100% sure) so no problem there.

However, the insurance papers ask "have you been treated for addiction to narcotics or prescription abuse within the last 10 years? They also ask "list any medications taken within the last 12 months".

I have ALWAYS followed the rule: never tell your employer anything. And it has always worked for me. However I never have had to deal with insurance. If I tell them I have been treated for addiction and state that I currently take suboxone, and they find out.... Good bye amazing job. I currently see a doctor for the past 3 years without insurance, and no matter what, I plan on continuing to pay cash only for all my visits AND prescription costs. Because I don't EVER want my insurance knowing. I NEVER will try to get them to pay for anything regarding addiction/suboxone. My main concern is that I won't be able to land this job because I admit to taking suboxone on the health insurance forms. I have been considering just not even mentioning anything about my suboxone on my insurance forms (since I NEVER plan on using my insurance for that purpose. This is REALLY upsetting me, because I got my degree after I got clean in this field, and I don't want suboxone to mess it up for me.

I don't even want to get insurance, because if they don't make me
Get the insurance I won't have to deal with this dilemma at all. I don't want it. It's doing nothing but bring me conflict. But it's offered for NO ADDIIONAL COST, and EVERYONE gets it... Because there is no reason not too (normally).

So what should I do? Should I just bite the bullet and not mention anything about the suboxone?!!

I'm really leaning Towards that option, because how would they (the insurance company) ever find out? I am praying that they don't make a big deal about me trying to opt out. (Not even sure if that is possible). From what I have read on the Internet, if I do happen to not disclose any of my pre existing conditions, it just means they they can rescind my health insurance plan, ya know like drop me (which I don't care about at all) or decline to pay for those conditions.

Can anyone help me out?? I am freaking out. I have built my whole life around this degree and field. I NEED this job. What should I do? Has anyone have any advice to give me? Has anyone been in a similar situation? I would really appreciate any feedback. I hope that you do not judge me, I hate being dishonest, but I'm not trying to scam over the insurance company, I'm just trying to get a job.

Sincerely Anonymouster

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't really understand the problem. As an aside, addiction is a protected illness as far as the ADA (Disabilities Act)... but I understand that they could always fire you for another reason-- say for being named 'Joe' or for eating bacon for breakfast-- and you would not be protected. But I've had a number of patients who drove truck, climbed scaffolding, or welded on elevated platforms, whose employers asked me whether their meds caused any impairment-- and they had no problems after I wrote a letter for them. So... are you certain you would be judged so harshly? It seems that in Wisconsin, 3/4 of the opioid addicts work in roofing or construction... the rest seem to be chefs for some reason...

But if you are not planning on disclosing your meds, and you know it won't show up on urine testing, I don't get the insurance problems. Are you talking about health insurance, or life or disability insurance? Yes--- life or disability insurance awards could theoretically be refused, if they find out after your death or injury that you were on an undisclosed med for an undisclosed condition. It is very hard to get covered for life insurance with any health history, including addiction-- unless it is through an employer, and then they don't generally require any health disclosure...

So I assume you mean health insurance? But then you said that if your health insurance was cancelled for some reason, it would not be a big deal?

In the days post-ACA, pre-existing conditions don't matter... and you aren't using your coverage for buprenorphine anyway. So.... I am missing something. Why would any health insurance company care about the medications that you take? I get my health insurance coverage independently from the company-- and they don't ask about anything besides my age. What are you worried will happen?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:10 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes, in my field I can just about bet that they will tell me they couldn't go through with the offer due to the restrictions that they would put on me if I disclosed being on suboxone.

Yes, I am talking about health insurance. What I am worried about, is that they will ask questions like "have you been treated for drug abuse in the last ten years?" or ask what medications I am currently taking?

Are you saying that when you enrolled in health insurance plan straight from the company it didn't ask you these types of questions?

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:56 am 

Hey anonymouster (hope I spelled that right)

I'm just gonna tell u what I'd do personally, and if I knew they didn't test for buprenorphine and I wasn't gonna use the insurance for my buprenorphine treatment, then I'd just keep it to myself. Now I hate to say that but unfortunately I see the stigma in my area over suboxone constantly. I don't think it's fair because suboxone doesn't impair us to do our job one bit. If I were u, I'd just keep it to myself......if I was absolutely sure that they wouldn't find out another way. We deserve fair chances and sometimes if u tell them about suboxone, ur fair chance just got split to 20%. Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:19 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for your responses. It really is making me
Feel a little bit more hopeful. Jenn, I really am starting
To think that is the only logical way to approach the situation.

You mention "if I was sure that there would be no possible way
For them to ever find out in the future". And see I'm not 100%
Sure on that, but I wouldn't know how they would. I guess that's
The part I am freaking out about. I don't want insurance fraud or
Anything like that thrown at me. I doubt they would, especially
Because I would never actually Be benefiting at all from the suboxone.

I don't know, thank you for the responses though, it really is annoying,
And this has inspired me to start finally weaning off completely. I'm down to 4mg
Now, I gotta end up letting go soon. Please, keep with the responses. And thank you
SOOO much.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:39 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Someone might have already stated this, but you don't have to put that you are taking suboxone on the insurance papers, it is none of their business. Put no and go on with your life. Also just because your employer provides the insurance doesn't mean they are privy to your private information. Your health information is protected and ESPECIALLY your suboxone DR visits and suboxone rx's, those are particularly protected, even more so than any regular medical record. I think it would not be smart to continue to pay for the dr visits and rx's if you have insurance that will pay for it, let them pay. Like I said, your information is so protected and cannot get out. You would have a HUGE lawsuit on your hands if for some reason it got out. You wouldn't need that job with the money you would get from a settlement like that :) Like i said though, it won't happen.

I don't know why you would need to tell your employer that you are on Suboxone, I would think that is your private health information that they have NO right to know about. Even if for some reason your UA came up positive for it, I would think that it would be a completely different department that would handle that and they could not tell your immediate boss that you are taking it. And you have a legal prescription for it so there should be no issue at all.