It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:55 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey guys,

Recently I have been having major issues with abosrbing my sublingual suboxone. I am tapering off suboxone from being on a daily dosage of 4mg.

I started my taper about a week and a half ago (September 4th) and am starting to stabilize on 2.5mg. I was on suboxone for 2 years after a 1 year opiate habit. So because of my taper it is extremely important for me to be able to absorb all the medication consistently.

However, lately I have been having an extremely watery mouth! It's like the more I worry about my mouth being watery, the worse it gets! I guess it would be OK if every time I had a watery mouth, because then every time I would be getting the same dose. However, sometimes my mouth is fine and then it's like I really feel the suboxone so I feel like I took too much.

It's very annoying. I have a fast metabolism so I take it twice a day, a milligram in the AM and 1.5mg in the PM. So I'd like to think that on the AVERAGE it balances itself out where on average I am getting my target dose for the day. But with my taper I can sometimes feel the withdrawal and especially when I had poor aborsption. What can I do to minimize the watery mouth and increase abosrption?

Perhaps if my mouth is so watery all the time I can make my mouth purposely watery when it feels dry to ensure consistency? It probably doesn't help that I did a pretty fast taper from 4mg to 2.5mg, and for the past 3 or 4 days the withdrawals symptoms have been more pronounced, but I feel like I'm going to stabilize right around the corner (then I will remain there for a few extra days). Even then, when I get to stabilization point, I feel that I will still be sensitive to the irregular aborption levels.

Well, if there are ideas, or perhaps links with other threads which people can point me to I'd appreciate it. I've been so busy that every time I search for something suboxone related I wind up spending so much time reading stuff that isn't even relate and I can't afford to do that at the moment :(

Hope everyone is having a nice beginning to fall. I love the fall season! It's my favorite. Anyways, any advice would be much appreciate. I thought about "painting" the strip around my mouth by it gets so watery that it doesn't "grip" the surface of my mouth's membrane and just slides against without leaving residue of the medication (if that makes sense).

Thanks,

Dhalia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bunavail is a buprenorphine product that doubles the absorption of buprenorphine, so that 4 mg of Bunavail creates the same blood level as 8 mg of Suboxone. The absorption is increased because the medication is on a 'patch' that goes against the inside of the cheek (the buccal surface), and a membrane protects the drug from saliva, allowing for greater absorption.

With that in mind, you should be able to increase absorption significantly by holding the strip between your tongue and cheek-- i.e. put it on your tongue and push your tongue against the cheek. Bunavail is absorbed in about 5 minutes-- so if you hold it there for 5-10 minutes you should be fine. I would think this would also add some consistency to your dosing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:14 am 

Fall is my favorite time of year!! I'm so excited to feel the cooler weather and see a few leaves on the ground in my yard. Fall always gives me a great feeling inside. We've already been putting up some of our Halloween decorations inside the house (not outside where ppl would think I'm rushing lol). But I sure have it banging inside :)

I always have issues with a watery mouth too. I try to take my sub first thing in the morning when my mouth is at its most dry. That's helped too. Good luck!!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:25 pm 

I LOVE FALL! My favorite time of year! I started decorating outside already, I dont care what peps think! I am ready! I just lit up the pumpkin candles and my husband says our house smells like your favorite time of year! I hope it is here for good and we don't go back to very hot temps! I'm ready to make some apple crisp! lol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:28 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Dr. Junig,

Thank you for personally responding to me! I will give the method you described a shot.

If I understood it correctly I am to place the film against the tip of my tongue and then push the tip of my tongue against the membrane of my cheeks and hold it there. Thus protecting it from the water-producing areas of my mouth and simulating how the new formulation's (I can't remember the name of it right now) method of delivery works.

-------------------------------------------

Michelle and Jennjenn- greetings fellow Fall season nerds! Haha that is awesome how both of you are already prepping.

JennJenn-my goodness, already getting ready for Halloween?! (I am pretend-chiding you haha). If I had my own place I would light a pumpkin scented candle like Michelle but I wouldn't start banging it lol for Halloween till at least it's officially October! That's awesome though! Makes me think how if we were all using none of us would care enough to do these little things which are actually beautiful expressions of our love for life! (Ouch, not to get all sappy here lol).

Thank you for your responses ladies! I feel like I should start a thread somewhere on the Fall season because I loved reading your feelings about it.

For me it's the warm, non-humid days and cool, crisp nights. Plus there is this sense of forgiveness and compassion in the air which is also probably due to the pending holidays. This is another reason why I'm so grateful to live in the colder part of the US-the leaves going red and everything takes this magical tone. Ahhhh... FALL. Ok, end of poetic rant hehe.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:42 pm 

Hi Dhalia, You did not say where you live. I am in New Jersey and our Fall foliage is usually beautiful. My hubby and I went to Niagara Falls twice in October and the colors were amazing! I would love to go touring through New England one of these Fall Seasons. Funny, the last real vacation my husband and I took, I cut short saying I was not feeling well and wanted to be in my own house. It was really about getting home and securing a bottle of pills so I would not have to start withdrawl. That will never happen again! It is amazing and so freeing to be living a "normal" life!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:55 pm 

Oh Ladies! I grew up in Vermont and I get homesick every autumn! Coloradans call this place "Colorful Colorado" and I say Bwaa haaa haaa! You people have no idea what "colorful" is! If you want to call yellow, brown, and green colorful then you have never been east of the Mississippi!

Rant over! :P

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:53 am 

Hi Amy, I want to go to Vermont for a vacation! When I was a kid, we camped all through New England, Canada,Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island! It was so beautiful and we were there in the Summer. I can only imagine how amazing it would be in the Fall! Have a wonderful day!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:08 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've ways had a watery mouth...my wife calls me "drooly". I've had a Hell of a time dosing as well. Just glad to hear I'm not the only one. By the way I've been reading this board for a long time but this is my first post. Thank you all for doing this. Its so amazing and brings me hope to know there's others out there who have the same problems, and can give many solutions. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of this. Its saved my life.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:46 pm 

Hey AtoA, WELCOME! Happy to have you! Please, hang around, join in a discussion! This is a great support for me and I have met some wonderful people! Hopefully, you will have the same experience! Have a great evening!