It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 2:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Interested what you folks think of this, especially those who have been on both methadone and Suboxone.

Which do you prefer and why? What do you think are the differences between the two? How do they feel different?

I'm talking about the drugs themselves, not so much the fact you gotta go to a clinic to get methadone... Mainly because that's irrelevant when comparing just the drugs, but also cos in some countries (like where I'm at) you get your Sub dosed at the clinic as well, so there's no difference for a lot of people in that regard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

the main diference for ME is, I was always able to 'catch a nod' off the methadone. . . . always.

I got it Rx'd for pain though, and maybe thats why. The funny thing is, Ive felt LESS pain on suboxone, than I ever did on methadone, even when I did take it 'right'

when I first got into suboxone treatment, I have to be honest here and say that I was expecting almost the same result. You know, I told myself, "it was gonna be different this time" and all that crap we addicts do in general.

But I never felt high when taking suboxone, I never was able to get that nod, not once. I know Ive heard people say they have and I believe it, but its never happened for me. It took me about three months, to figure out it wasnt going to happen, then around that 90 day mark, I actually had extra sub when it was time for my appt. I was still going in every two weeks, thankfully. so I'd only be out for a day or two when I would go in to the doctor. And even then, when I restarted, I never "felt" it like Ive heard here.

For me, the most amazing thing, is being able to feel LESS pain, in my back. I had some kind of back pain even on really high doses of methadone. My doctor also has said that this is normal for higher dose opiates, and it can actually be your brain playing tricks on you.
Im not sure how exactly that works?

Anyway, I know that I feel better now than ever. I still do get the nerve pain running down my legs fairly often, and I still experience stiffness. But its way better than it used to be.

Thats the difference for me. I know for Bboy, its been the opposite. which is awesome for him. I mean, daily pain issues really effects your quality of life, ya know?
And I think for those people that can take methadone as perscribed, if it works for them, so be it.

Theres so much of a stigma with both of these drugs. Thats the part I hate. Ive tried to tell the 'norms' that suboxone does not get me high, and they of course dont believe it at all.
When I say that when I do have cravings, its NOT for suboxone, sometimes I get a different dumb look, but its pretty much the same attitude..... :lol:

Nice to "see" ya tear :wink:

I wanted to add, too
that I always felt the "ups and downs" of like a regular opiate on methadone. I KNEW when it was time to take it. With the suboxone, if Im busy, or have to go to work early, I forget. Its unbelievable to me, but I do.
I usually take one dose in a.m and one in p.m. But theres some days I have to go to work like two hours early, and pretty soon it'll be lunch time, and my back will start hurting. Its only THEN , that Im like "did I take my sub?"
that never happened for me, while on methadone. It ran my life.

Just another fine example of how different and unique each one of us is 8)

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:31 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Methadone is EVIL, WICKED, the Devil's drug and STAY AWAY from it. You will always hear me Preach against Methadone, I had a Very Very Bad experience on it and will forever be against it. I have done allot of research since being on Methadone and have come to my own conclusions that No ONE should NEVER Take it..Why..Because there are so many Other Drugs that work just as good or Better....AND ...those Dugs do NOT Stay in Your System so much much more longer than Methadone does. Methadone stays in your system forever, it takes it forever to get out of your system, that is why Withdrawals off of Methadone are said to be allot worse than Heroin or other Opiates. Believe you me I agree, I havent taken Heroin but OMG I did a 2 week cold turkey off of Methadone once and I thought I was going to die, in fact several times I wanted to die it was that bad. I know some will say that Methadone saved their lives from Heroin, however ask them are they still on Methadone as most people stay on it the rest of their lives..... Methadone it is very very cheap to make hence the very low cost to take, but with all those good qualities there comes the bad, the cost of being on it. The Fact that it is almost impossible to quit taking it. Suboxone as I have researched it, is way easier to stop taking than Methadone. In Methadone the user has to frequently up their dose as the ceiling effect changes when their body becomes adjusted to the Methadone. You end up taking more and more and more, before you know it you want to stop, you can't. You have to wean yourself down from such a high dose of Methadone to even be able to take or transfer over to Suboxone. Ask yourself how long it would take to wean yourself down off of Methadone, then transfer to another drug just to get clean??....That right there in itself should warn you against Methadone. And the Doctors that Prescribe Methadone are usually the type to typically run their practice like a business..In and Out as fast as they can like herding cattle to slaughter.

There is No-WAY that I would ever recommend Methadone, Never, EVER. Do your homework do the Research and I believe that You will come back with a similar attitude against Methadone as I do. If not then God Help You if you ever start taking it. It was one of the worst if not the worst Mistake that I have ever made in my life to start taking Methadone. I was prescribed it for pain management, and my Doctor was the worst ever, He didn't care about me, all he wanted to do is get me hooked on it so I would keep coming back every month !

These are MY Opinions, and My Opinions ONLY. I am NO Doctor but I was Prescribed Methadone for Pain for 2 years. In those 2 years it ruined my Life !!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:46 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

my experience with methadone was always illegal drug use. i used those 40mg wafers and would get a "good" high, would definetly nod on two of them. once i thought i was gonna od when i took three...had trouble breathing, but did not od. now with suboxone i dont feel high. at first i even tried to take more but nothing happened. BUT before i was prescribed them my drug dealers husband was taking suboxone off the streets and i did see him nod if he sat still. i dont know what he is doing now but almost curious enough to get in touch with them to see if he ever stabilized.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah methadone certainly has more agonist effects than buprenorphine.

The main thing I didn't like about methadone was how "old" it made me feel. I remember after being on it for a while, I just felt run down, my joints ached, and my body and mind felt saturated with opioids. It just wasn't a good way to live

Suboxone I find doesn't have nearly the same effect of methadone in this regard, though compared to being abstinent it does have a similar feeling. I do experience more joint aches and feel like my emotions are dulled a bit, but nowhere near as much as methadone.

One day at a time, I do understand where you are coming from. I personally wouldn't say methadone is a 'worse' drug than buprenorphine. While methadone is definitely difficult to go off, its withdrawal is comparable to buprenorphine I believe. I jumped off high doses of methadone twice (though one time not by choice), and both those times the acute detox lasted about started to fade day 14 then by day 28 I felt like I was okay ... EXCEPT I was getting waves of detox return up to 6 months after! Suboxone was more like ... 2 weeks of acute withdrawal, with residual symptoms fading over 2-3 months...

That being said, methadone still has a place. There are many people who continue to use while on Suboxone. These people have been shown to have more success on methadone.

One thing I have noticed about people on bupe is that many don't like to view methadone and buprenorphine as similar drugs. Because methadone has its "junkie" connotations, conjuring up images of filthy clinics, there's a desire to distance themselves from that association ... When in reality, the drugs themselves aren't as different as people might imagine. Both are long acting opioids appropriate for drug-replacement, with their own strengths and weaknesses, and IMO both have a place in treatment of opioid addiction.

Sometimes I wonder if, for people with fast metabolisms, it really is much easier to taper off buprenorphine than methadone. I've had issues with rapid metabolism of buprenorphine, but never for methadone. The moment I get below 8mg, even with twice daily dosing I start to feel withdrawals before I take my next dose. I wonder if I would have the same issue with methadone sometimes, though I never tapered off methadone so I can't guess either way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Speaking of joint aches, I'm 35 and have never had them in my life until I got on Suboxone. When I get up in the morning I can barely move my hands at all and it hurts my feet and ankles to walk to the bathroom. I have always been a knuckle popper and I can't even try to pop my knuckles for a while after I get up because my hands won't bend that much. This only lasts for about 10 minutes, until I get moving around, but it's the biggest side effect of subs (besides constipation) that I have noticed. It's not horrible, just bothersome in the mornings.

I've never been on methadone, so I can't compare the two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:41 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I just do not see a use for Methadone when there are other drugs that do as good of a job. Of the research I have done over this last year and of my own experience Methadone in our current USA society has been used as a business opportunity with these Methadone Clinics. I fear that in 20 years we will have all these Methadone addicts in our society and what are going to do with all these long term addicts. I say this because I know how long Methadone stays in ones system. I haven't gone cold turkey off of Suboxone (and never will) but I have gone cold turkey off of Methadone a number of times. I tried and tried to stop taking a 60mg dose but could only last a little more than 2 weeks off of Methadone. My body just could not take the strain any longer, my body began to shut down and start having bad effects from the severe symptoms of no sleep, no energy,dehydrated, etc. So I would start back on the Methadone for my own safety. I just can not imagine that Suboxone will be like that from what I have read and seen in my research. I realize that Yes Methadone has saved lives, but it is the way it is currently used that has me against it. Suboxone is used in a much better way for the patient involved. These Methadone clinics area business they want you to keep coming back hence they up your dose every so often, Suboxone Doctors are "Currently" in the Detox mode when it comes to this drug. You just can not say that for these Methadone clinics. This is just my opinion, and my experience. Methadone ruined my life, well i should say Methadone and that Doctor that I had both ruined my life. Now with Suboxone I am beginning to pick up the pieces and get my life back. Before I had no hope on Methadone and now with Suboxone I have hope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:12 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

good topic tear! i have been on both, addiction purposes only. i felt the same as you, i started to look old as well within 3 months of use on methadone. i had no drive naturally to do anything or go anywhere, i was completely happy to lie on the couch all day. i have always been an energenic person, it made me feel bad about myself. but did it make me quit? noooooo. i protected it with all of my being. luckily, my doctor gave me an ultimatum. a suboxone script or nothing. he saved my life. i feel normal again, have the drive and energy for all things in life, and the old look faded fast. thanks again for this topic!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

One day at a time u seem to have so much anger built up toward methadone that you are not seeing how it helps others. I can sit here all day and tell you about how suboxone ruined my life but never in my right mind would I say suboxone has no m eaning in opiate replacement therapy.

Now for myself the difference with methadone and suboxone is like night and day. I was on suboxone for four years and they were the worst four years of my life. I'm going to list a number of medical problems I've never had my whole life till I started suboxone. In the beginning I won't lie things were not so bad I was still in great pain but for once people thought I was clean, and I was having very lil cravings. But as time went on with being on sub my life was not getting better as it suppose to once getting out of active addiction, in facts things were getting much worse. I started suboxone with being on not one single medication besides my pain meds I ended suboxone being on 7 medications for mental health, insomnia, blatter meds and constipation. The first thing to happen was when I was in the emergency room four different times in one week to severe constipation. To the point my colon was so compacted that if he laxatives didn't work I might had to have emergency surgery. And once my colon was clear I had to have a colonoscopy to make sure there r no more serious issues. After that had happen things have never been the same since I have to take laxatives daily just to have movements at least once a week. Now the next thing to happen was my mental health I started to get real bad panic attacks and a serious case of obsessive compulsive disorder that got so bad i had a nervous brake down just about. And do to the severe anxiety do to the ocd I started to have serious over active bladder. That was by far the worst thing ive ever had to deal with i felt like i had to pee all day every day. I did not sleep for five days due to how bad my blatter issues got. They had to put me on ristirtrol which is like da strongest sleeping med allowed to b perscribed also a benzo. Which made my sub Dr freek out on da Er dr who wrote da script due to being on suboxone and my past addiction issues. Anyways during all this i had every test done known to man kind to figure this out. Even a cystoscopy for thosr who dont know what that is its when u have a camera inserted in your uretha to see if there r any more serious medical issues. All to come to find out that there was nothing wrong. That sub messed my mental health up so bad that my ocd/mental health was causing these issues. It took years of mental health treatment to even get me some what back on track. Now my physical health will get into. During my time on sub my pain was the worst it has ever been in my whole life. On the pain scale my best days were a 6 most days a 8 to 10. I literally became a zombie all i look foward to was sleeping i prolly slept 14/15 hours a day bc at least when i was sleeping i wasnt in pain. I lost my life in every aspect my friends gf family bc i didnt ever leave my house due to pain and i felt no emotions so at the time i didnt care i was losing what was most important to me i was numb to life.

That is when i decided to start looking into switching to methadone. Not just for pain management but for a new start in hope this change would help. And thank god it did within the first couple weeks of starting methadone all these issues that i was having started to lessen up. And as i continued my treatmen with methadone all of these issues ended up going away besides the constipation of course lol. And all those meds i was on now im only on two of those out the seven. My pain is pretty much gone now im usually around a 3 on the pain scale. Im getting my life back i got a gf that loves me for me i have gotten back in school and doing well to say the least. I now have real friends who r clean but most importantly i got my family back.

Last edited by Bboy42287 on Tue May 29, 2012 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:33 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

BBoy I guess you missed what I wrote in my posting where I said" that yes Methadone has saved Lives"..I was and still am speaking about my own experiences and the research that I have done about Methadone and these so-called Methadone clinics. Suboxone I believe has only been available since 2004 when Methadone has been available for decades, Even Hitler used it...look what it did for him and the whole country of Germany. But I digress. I am truly sorry that you had such bad experiences on Suboxone, could it be that you were on way too high a dose for a long period of time ? i found out way back in 2003 when I had my back surgery and started pain meds that anyone taking large doses of opiates Has to Use some sort of Laxative or Stool Softeners. Did you Doctor not warn or tell you about this ? If not then you like me feel into the trap that these Doctors set us up for. they expect us to tally trust them, but then they let us down by NOT educating and informing us of the side effects and Long term damage that these Opiates can do to our bodies. We are not supposed to be debating these differing drugs so i will refrain from doing that on here, I gave my opinion and I will leave it at that. But what I can and will continue to do is to Warn and also bring notice to people that want to listen about these Methadone clinics. Tell me how they are no different than legalized Opiate addiction? How it is OK for them to have a common but un warranted practice of keeping people addicted and also upping their doses and almost never trying to wean these people off of Methadone. I worry about this legalized addiction and the consequences as a society of what that will bring in the next 10-20 years. And again it is my opinion but it is also my life that Methadone ruined for the last 2 years, the Doctor that prescribed it to me could have put me on what I previously was taking and had no problems with. But I had No Health Care and this Doctor had already made up his mind about prescribing Methadone to me before he even met me or knew my condition. I was one of his set allowanced Methadone patients. I am sure of that ! So from my point of view..Never trust ANY Doctor, especially if he will not fully educate you on what you are prescribed, Run do Not Walk to another Doctor that will treat You with respect and not just as a number in the crowd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

One day ata Time said, "Even Hitler used it...look what it did for him and the whole country of German." What exactly did Methadone do for him and the whole country of Germany?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My Droid dyed last night so I only got half of my post done. More geared towards what u were asking tear I'm going to get into and also discuss how methadone change my life and why. Of course I preferre methadone due to what had occurred in my life during my time on suboxone which I posted above. But I also prefer methadone simply BC of how much more knowledge we have on long term side effects vs. No matter how much u will get upset by me saying this but I personally felt and believe that I was a scientist gunnine pig and people still are who r taking suboxone. And I know you don't all want to believe this but we still don't know what long term affects suboxone will have on your life's so no matter how bad it sounds people on suboxone are the testers. I mean its still a very new drug so what the longest possible patients time on sub is what 10 years. THIS IS STRICTLY MY PERSONAL BELIEVE AND THIS IS NOT MEANT TO OFEND ANYONE. The difference between the two is huge in treating my pain management issues. And I don't get high off methadone it was the same as suboxone in the beginning i got a lil buzz but once I got use to it that went away, I got use to methadone that buzz went away. But I will b honest the buzz from methadone was much stronger why the sub buzz was just a warm fuzzy feeling.

As of how it changed my life it allowed me to start living gain. Anyone who deals with serious chronic pain knows how much it could alter your life. Methadone took that pain away i now am back in school doing well, I have started a relationship with a new gf that loves me for me knowing my past , most importantly I got my family back. I am -attending family party's again and look forward to them. I mean i can keep going for an hour- talking about how much methadone changed my life but I'll just eave it at this read thread "my switch " and u will get a inside look of my switch from day one to present date.

I'll leave it at this suboxone ruined my life methadone saved my life and gave me a second chance at life.

One day at a time I'm confused. You talk about how bad methadone clinics r but than didn't u say u were getting it prescribed for pain by a Dr? Have u even attended a methadone clinic? If so trust me not all clinics are like you described trust me. Its the same as suboxone Dr some suck some are really good. I know at my clinic u fuck around you will get the boot real quick. But like u said I'm not going to debate this topic with u BC we disagree very much on da topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:05 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Romeo---It is a Known fact that Hitler was addicted to Methadone. His actions show that his addiction was way out of control, not because of his Idiotic Genetic beliefs but the way he ran the war effort. And in doing so Hitler's addiction to Methadone ruined that Country...

As for Methadone and why I do not like it. This belief comes from my own first hand knowledge and also from the research that I have done into Methadone. It is that as I have said from my original post it is My Opinion. I still believe that there are other drugs out there that can do the same job as Methadone but without the bad side effects that come from extended Methadone use. I do know from my first hand knowledge that getting off of Methadone is No Easy task. And when you do get yourself off through the primary Withdrawal there is an extended period of time that the Methadone is still in your system. Maybe I need more knowledge about who people do in fact get off of Methadone. But from all that I have read and heard I do not see man people getting off of Methadone, but I see allot of people getting on Methadone. I can easily understand why it is used in these so-call Legal Clinics. It is Very Very Cheap, hence the opportunity for Profit is very very High for a company that goes into that business. I wonder and also worry that in 10-20 years time what will all these people that have become addicted to Methadone be like. Will they still be using these legal clinics? The cost will go up surely, supply and demand, you know the demand is going to skyrocket.Right now it is on average $13.00/day to go to one of these Methadone clinics. Roughly 2500 Patients at one of these Methadone Clinics will generate upwards of $1million plus. I also know a good friend that is a probation officer and he deals daily with Methadone clinics, drug offenders, etc. In his experience he also has a very similar opinion of Methadone that I do. that these Methadone clinics get these (already) drug addicted people, addicted to a drug that is very very hard to get off of. These drug offenders have a very hard time paying for the cost, and they end up using crime to pay for their court ordered Methadone clinics daily visits.

Has Methadone Saved Peoples Lives; YES as I have stated and agree that Yes Methadone had a use, and is still in use saving peoples lives. But it is my belief that there are other drugs that can and do offer the same effect on pain and these other drugs are much easier to manage than Methadone. I was prescribed Methadone for Pain. I had Lost my Healthcare Insurance due to the company I worked for went out of business. I had to scramble to find a Doctor that would see me with out Insurance. he prescribed Methadone under my strong objections. I had just paid out $300 to see this Doctor, I had run out of my previous Norcos and my back was against the wall. So I then made the Worst Mistake of my life t get on Methadone. It ruined 2 years of my life. I know I can never get it back. But I also am so Happy that it has helped you, I honestly mean that. I know what it is like to hurt, to have that constant pain like a shadow following you around everywhere you go. I am just concerned and don't want You or Anyone else to have to go through what I have gone through it trying to get off of Methadone. yes; I am sure my experience has clouded my judgement that is why I have been stating that this is My Opinion and mine alone, as I talk for no one but myself.

As for the use of Methadone for Pain management and also in regard to these Methadone Clinics. I still wish that there was another way, that Doctors would not prescribe a drug that is so very hard o the body and so very very hard to ever get out of your system. You can go thru months and months of withdrawals off of Methadone and you think it is over but you still have side effects for up to and over a year into the future. That my friends is one very bad drug to do that to someone. but hey if it works for you then by all means do what is best for you. I just want you to be informed unlike me as to the terrible side effects, my Doctor did not inform me of all those, I even did an initial search and could not find much about Methadone. It wasn't until I started having problems and dug much deeper into what I learned as the true nature of this drug.

Again, please keep yourself healthy and happy, you know what is best for you. It is not up to me to tell anyone what to do. All I want and hope to do is inform people of my experience and for them to also do the research themselves. Then they can have all the information needed to make the very best call as to what they should do....Information is key to a Happy Life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It is not a Known fact that Hitler was addicted to Methadone, actually, historians have been arguing for years over whether he was actually an addict or not. Did he use Methadone, most certainly he did, was he addicted to it, we don't know. It's also widely held that he used amphetamines and cocaine. Those are two powerful drugs, but you're laying the blame on Methadone.

I just think that your supposition that Methadone caused Hitler to act the way he did is laughable, at best.

I understand you hate Methadone, and that's fine, but to implicate Methadone alone for Hitlers actions and what happened to Germany.....again, it's laughable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Im with you Romeo I'm sorry ONDAAT that is just crazy u even would think that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

ODAAT I read your post and cannot find my answer to my question. Have you even attended a methadone clinic? Because if you haven't which I think u have not, its upsetting me the way you are protraying a methadone clinic to be. You are saying all these terrible things but have no true experience to back all these things are saying which is not right. And do u believe everything you read on ad internet of course its going to b all bad nobody is going to take the time to say my methadone clinic is so good.... only people who have bad things to saying take the time to post about it. And if you have attended one I apologize but u said you got methadone from a Dr for pain so I don't think u have. I also wonder you had such strong objections than why did u even accept the script? And if you research methadone u will find all the bad before good I'm just confused and baffled about some of things u say? Also u keep saying that u think there are other drugs that r safer and do da same thing what r these drugs its been proven methadone works better for pain than suboxone so I'm interested in what u mean by that statement. Also suboxone Dr are more about money than a city funded clinic. There r so many people on suboxone that can't afford it with there Dr knowing but will refuse them the generic in which they would save money.

I'm sorry for being such a jerk right now I just want to understand were u r coming from by saying all these bad things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:25 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

First off Mr. Romeo; I am sorry that you have such angst for me. yes I do have a very strong opinion about Methadone. But Please Stop putting words in my mouth or say that i said this or that. people can read what i said and infer their own opinion rather than you telling what I meant to say. if you read my post about Hitler, I stated that he was addicted to Methadone. That is a fact. He abused it, any use which is considered abuse is also I believe an addiction. Was his addicition to Methadone or the other drugs that he took the Main Reason why Hitler was such a Lunatic..NO..and I NEVER said such a Thing. His use of the drug was addictive, and yes that addiction to that drug and others were a major cause for his Idiotic thought process "About how he fought the war Effort" I believe that is what I said or posted. Now how you seem to want to have such hatred for me that you start mis-quoting me is beyond me. I have said nor done anything to you. I have never posted anything about Romeo before you started your effort to demonize me...why I ask this ? I have an opinion, this is the USA, am In not fully able to express myself about my own personal beliefs about this drug ????..I would ask that You never again mis-quote any of my posts, and from now on leave me out of any discussion that you make, and I too will avoid you like the Plague, I am here for help and to try my best to help others. These other people can make up their own minds without anyone telling that he/she--said this or that. grow up and stop your campaign against other posters..........Now if you would care to PM about this mess and maybe work this out in Private I would be willing to do just that, but please if you have such anger towards me then just avoid me................Now about BBoy, you stated that I have a strong opinion about these so-called Methadone Clinics, and yes I do. but then you go onto to say that I have opinions but none of them are based on facts. Again, have you read everything that I posted?? I said that I have a friend that is a Parole Officer and that he knows allot about these LOCAL to Me Methadone clinics. So I am going off of someone that has intimate knowledge. Again, I have an Opinion, if you dis-agree that is fine. But please do not mis-quote me or try to tell someone else what I had said or posted, you know other people can make up their own minds about anyone's words. We don't need people to explain what other people said. When you do that You make it Personal, I have Never said anything Personal, but you 2 chosen to get Personal..Why I have No Idea. I have just explained my Opinion. Could it be that you do not agree with my Opinion? If so then that is your right, but keep it to yourself. It says in the statement of the Forums rules to NOT Debate people. I believe you 2 are trying to start a Debate. If you want to PM me I would be more than willing to carry this on in private. if you do you will more than likely find out that we 3 agree on way more than we dis-agree on. You will also find that I am very nice guy as I am sure you 2 are as well. However, this is a place to help but not a place to debate. If I have said anything that has personally offended anyone I am sorry. But I can not think of anything that I have posted that has gone Personal.
As for y Story, it is on this Forum for all to read if you search my posts but for the sake of trying to clear the air here. I lost my Health Insurance, the company that I worked for went belly up closed their doors and gave us a week's notice, no one knew it was bad or een that bad. They basically just turned all the employees worlds upside down. At the time I was at a Pain Mangement clinic and had been with that clinic for almost 3 years. I cobra-ed my Insurance as long as I could and it ran out, yes I had to pay$500/month whilst being unemployed but I did it. When I lost my cobra Insurance the Pain Management clinic dropped me, they gave me a month's supply of the Norcos that I was taking at the time 6x10mg Norcos/daily. I called and called and searched for Insurance before my cobra ran out but not one Insurance company would Insure me, the 2 that would had a ridiculous Pre-existing condition waiver that meant that I could not use the Insurance for any purpose for the first year, yes ANY Use. I then scrambled and called 100's of Doctors, I found one that my friends wife worked at. She assured me that it was all good, that she had talked to the Doctor about me specifically and he said that he could and would help me. I had to wait 3 weeks to get into to see him. The day came and I went to see this Doctor, he immediately told me that he does NOT hand out pain medication nor does he want to get involved with giving out pain medication. I was shocked, as my friend assured me that she talked specifically to this Doctor about my condition and use of pain meds. Here I was left with no Doctor and a week's worth of pain meds. Finally after4 straight days on the phone, and I might also add no sleep for worrying my ass off... I finally found a Neurologist that sees people with Chronic pain and these people do Not have to have Health Insurance. And he would see me with just 1 day to spare before I completely ran out of my Norcos. The day came to see this last hope for me, he the Doctor came in and without any conversation he said that he was putting me on Methadone. I asked him if he would just continue the Norcos, because I had been on them for 8 years and did very well with them. But No he said this is what I have prescribed, you are welcomed to see another Doctor if you wish. So you see I had no choice, either just go cold turkey with no medication or try the Methadone. Here 2 years later I am on Suboxone to get off of the Methadone. As you can guess that Pain Doctor did not care what I had to say about my health or how I felt on Methadone, I kept pleading and pleading to please with him to take me off of it and put me on anything but Methadone. He said NO, you can always go to another Doctor, but there were No Other Doctors. But there was another Doctor.....I finally heard about Suboxone, I searched Google for local drug addiction clinics, and found nothing, never not once did the word SUBOXONE come up in any google search. I heard about Suboxone from someone that was buying street drugs. I don't have or dont consider myself an addict so much as I am fully completely Chemically addicted to Methadone. I tried and tired for the past 8 months to get myself off of it. I went 2 weeks once to rid myself of it. But I failed and had to go back on it..but not this time..Methadone and my use of it helped to ruin the last 2 years of my life.................Yes; I have a very strong opinion about Methadone and it is very negative. Can you not understand why? Methadone is known to be harder to kick than Heroin, do we really want to be taking something for pain that is that hard on your body, and that hard to get off of ? Had I known now about Methadone I NEVER would have started taking it NEVER. I would had suffered thru the Norco withdrawals as they are far easier than Methadone withdrawals anyday of the week. Are there not other pain drugs that would work just as well ? That is my belief. Sorry for the rant and long winded speech, but you asked so I answered it. I just want to share my bad experience about Methadone, do I sit here and tell people they are crazy for taking it..NO and I never have, nor Never will. It is your life, but you do deserve all the facts and opinions if you so desire. To that end, I posted my opinion.....it is just my opinion. Why is that such a bad thing to where you would start bashing me(to those that did)(others have not; and have even thanked me for my opinion) ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:57 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Wow.
Well, just to get back on track, I started on methadone but eventually transitioned to suboxone. Having had experience with both medications, I prefer suboxone, mainly because I feel more alert and less tired than I did on methadone. Plus, I gained about 30 lbs after being on methadone for awhile, and after switching to suboxone, I lost all the weight i had previously gained.
I will agree with BBoy in that methadone has been around for a very long time and is considered to be quite safe from what I've read and heard from medical professionals. It is also helpful in treating those with chronic pain. I know a lady who was in a terrible accident and she has been prescribed methadone pills that have worked wonders for her chronic pain. You would never know she was on the medication - meaning she doesn't look high, act high, nod off, etc. and she has a very active, productive and successful life. She's been on several different narcotic medications, and methadone turned out to be the most effective for her.
Everyone is different, so the reaction one has to a medication is purely individualized.
Yes, methadone is very difficult to taper off of, and the half life is extremely long. But suboxone also has a long half life, so it's no picnic to come off of either. With both medications, you would need to do a long, steady taper to minimize the effects of withdrawal. Coming off either drug, regardless of your taper schedule, is going to be somewhat uncomfortable.
I believe both of these drugs work well for people dealing with addiction, but if you are planning to take either drug to assist with your addiction, you need to be diligent about getting clean and staying clean. These drugs are meant to be tools in our recovery. When I was on methadone, the highest i ever got was 50 mg's, and even though i could have increased my dosage, I drew the line at 50 mgs and then went down to 40 mgs for awhile. After getting tired of going to the clinic regularly, I decided to try suboxone, and it just so happened that it worked better for me and I felt like I had more energy on suboxone.
So, for me, I am partial to suboxone, but I do recognize the "newness" of this drug and understand that there may be long term effects that i am unaware of. And even though I prefer suboxone, i recognize that methadone has its place, people have had great success with this drug, and have also been able to taper off of it successfully.
Lastly, and just to clarify, while I realize that Hitler was a user of methadone, I don't think his use/abuse of this drug had much to do with his actions in Nazi Germany. Just my opinion, by the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't really have any angst or anger towards you at all. The thing is this, when someone posts completely erroneous information, even if they cloak that information with the infamous "in my opinion", I'm apt to call them on it, I'm gonna express my opinion, just as you do. Sorry if this puts your panties in a wad.

I'm truly sorry it angers you so deeply to have someone disagree with your opinions....kinda like the 50% off coupon thing. A few people on that thread questioned you and you respond with defensiveness and anger. It seems like you're the one with anger issues my good man.

Lastly, I can not promise to leave you alone because if you post more inflammatory comments such as your Hitler/Methadone comments, I'm gonna call you on it, it's my God given right as an American to do that.....CRAP....I'm actually Canadian.....it's my God given right as a Canadian to call you on what I believe to be crap.

Peace and Love brother.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

ONDAAT I have no anger towards you I'm just offended by the statements you made about methadone clinics. I understand you had a bad experience with methadone and have alot of anger towards it. But you have never attended a methadone clinic so you have no personal experience or right to say such horrible things about them. It doesn't matter if your friend is a Dr at a methadone clinic, unless you have been a patient at one than you truly don't know what they are like. Let alone the person you get your info from isn't even a patient at one. And think of the people's he gets his info from with your buddy being a probation officer, ex cons, when have you heard of a ex con tell the truth or talk with out the world being against them. That's all I'm saying unless you truly had first hand experience than u will never know how it is. No matter how much you read or here you still don't know what its like I'll u do I yourself.

I wish u da best of luck with your sub treatment and may everything workout for u.