It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:27 pm 
I was on suboxone for 4 years. A year ago, I managed to get off and stay off for a little less than 4 months. I used the taper method that time and ended up getting down to .15 mg (roughly) per day, then jumped from there. That 4 months was pretty good. I felt okay, and was being pretty positive. My triggers caused me to get back on it...until 35 days ago that is. I have 35 days off suboxone now and feel eeeh still. This time I decided to go cold turkey and jumped from 24 mg.

The only things i noticed between the tapering method and cold turkey for me was....

Cold turkey from 24 mg has been more intense thus far than when i tapered and jumped from .15mg, obviously. But, i guess its the same amount of time you are withdrawaliing for both. Because, when weening.... you are milding withdrawaling the whole time. And when i tapered down... It took me 2 months from when i started the tapered until the point i jumped. So, i was in mild w/d's during the taper down process and then in w/d's for another 2 1/2 months after i jumped. This time around when i did cold turkey... I just jumped at 24mg and i still feel crudy at day 35, but i think it will be aroudn the same time amount for the w/d's as last. I know i'm rambling and I'm kinda terrible at getting a point across, but someone who knows what i'm trying to ask... please help! LOL.

Basically, someone out there that has tried both methods (weening down and cold turkey).. my question pertains to you fighters. What was your experiences w/ both and which did you prefer overall?

I respect all of you guys out there. What cant we all acomplish after beating an opiate / opioid addiction... seriously, we have a certain confidence instilled in us that no one else can ever recieve or understand.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't really have any advice to offer you because I have never tried to taper. But we do have a lot of folks who have done it successfully. You can find some of their threads in the "Stopping Suboxone" section of the forum (if you haven't already).

Winningduhepic wrote:
This time I decided to go cold turkey and jumped from 24 mg.

Winningduhepic wrote:
This time around when i did cold turkey... I just jumped at 24mg and i still feel crudy at day 35, but i think it will be aroudn the same time amount for the w/d's as last.

Also just wanted to say that I read your other post, and if you are doing heroin now to help with your withdrawals from quitting subs, I don't think that's considered going cold turkey. I always thought of cold turkey as quitting any and all drugs in the same type of category.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:03 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am still on sub, but I wanted to bring up something important when it comes to comparing cold turkey with tapering: The effect of both on PAWS. Tapering could reduce the effect/symptoms of PAWS, whereas cold turkey likely won't help it at all - it might even make it worse by jumping from a high dose. I just wanted to throw that out there for you to consider when discussing the whole "cold turkey vs tapering" thing.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:51 pm 
TAURUS-

Thanks for your time and input. I would have to agree actually. So , i guess its not cold turkey if i have been doing dope on some days to help with the W/D's . Although, heroin was never my problem / drug of choice. Suboxone was always my drug of choice and got on that first. However, it will be cold turkey, becuase in acopule of days... i am out of my safety net (dope) to help with the suboxone w/d;s. That is why I put that in the subject.... I am just looking to see what I'm in for mainly. Also , it's good to just talk/vent for me. I dont have many avenues for me to express my feelings. I am going to try meetings either this week or next. I'm not sure if i should do "NA" or "AA" though. Any suggestions? Thanks and god bless