It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:54 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Earlier this week I was browsing Netflix and ran across a documentary "Hungry For Change" and that one led me to "Fat, Sick and nearly Dead". Like my addiction to opiates, I'm addicted to simple sugar in the form of candy, cookies, cakes, and non diet soda's. That said I'm addicted to sugar and it never even crossed my mind until watching those 2 documentaries. I don't eat that much fried foods and I don't eat a lot of red meat.....more chicken and fish. One thing I NEVER eat is RAW fruits & Veggies which contrary to most American belief is more important than meat, poultry, dairy, etc. I basically eat all processed foods which 60% or more is some sort of simple sugar(white breads, sweets, etc).

Like many others here, I'm on relatively low dose Suboxone at 4 mg per day. I noticed when I dropped below 6 mg that I had hardly any mental energy, so I drank more soda's(sugar and caffeine) and took other types of OTC stimulants twice daily to help keep my energy up. I also split up my Suboxone to twice daily. Upon rising in morning along with my Suboxone I'd take a 5 hr energy and other OTC Stims and again around 5pm with my 2nd Suboxone dose I'd take another 5 hr energy with multivitamins and a B complex vitamin. Usually around 2 pm I'd crash hard and feel crappy til my next Suboxone and stimulant administration. I decided to make a diet change this week. I used to never eat a meal until later in the day because of no hunger upon rising in the morning. If I did eat it'd be snacks in the form of chips or sweet snack cakes. Then at night for supper I'd pig out with dessert afterwards. So basically sugar and lots of caffeine got me through the day.

This week I cut my soda intake from around 6-8 cans daily to 1-2 and cut back on my OTC stims. I also found some meal replacement shakes I had forgotten about which I started drinking one first thing in the morning which is high in protein and amino acids for proper neurotransmitter support. I started drinking a lot of water to replace the sodas. I can tell a HUGE difference in increased ENERGY and MOOD uplift. Here very soon when I can afford it I'm gonna start eating a more vegan like diet with 80% of my diet coming from veggies & fruits (80% veggie/20% fruit), 10% from nuts and seeds, and remaining 10% from poultry/dairy/fish. Since I dislike most veggies and some fruits I will be getting a JUICER to extract the micronutrients and phytonutrients from the fruits and veggies. I will also make some in the form of smoothies and also cook some veggies in vegan style dishes like vegetable lasagna and Asian stir fry.

In getting clean from opiates I have to change all areas of my life and this includes my diet. Last night I rented a vid called "Super Juice Me" which 8 chronically ill people from all walks of life did a 28 day juice fast. The results were impressive and motivating. I can't say I'll turn into a hippy like vegetarian, but more a NUTRITARIAN concentrating on a more healthy diet including mostly plant based macronutrients(protein/carbs/fats). From what I've extensively researched here the past few days and watched in those documentaries, my diet plays one, if not, the biggest role in my mental health which first led to opiate self medication and then to addiction. I encourage more of you guys and gals to check into your diet especially if you eat mostly junk food, processed foods, drink mostly sodas, etc like I do. After all, we're all here to make a lifestyle change and a better difference in our lives and bodies by getting off opiates. If any of you are already juicing and it's helped your overall well being then I'd love to hear about it. Each day I'm researching more ways to better myself for life "after" opiates. ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:47 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Solid advice you’re giving there, Alvino. I believe our bodies begin craving healthy foods once we purge the crap out that’s been the norm for so many years. After my first time getting clean, of all things, cooking, became one of my hobbies. Funny enough, being out of work for about 2 years after my first attempt at recovering, I found a job at a health and nutrition store. They sold all organic produce, and had a supplement section where I learned a lot of info from. After working there I started to really want to eat better, so I’d copy recipes from the health food magazines while standing at the register, and cooking became a relaxing, meditative time for me.
I never cooked fresh before, everything I’d eat came out of a can or box….yeauuuuuk.

Haven’t had fast food or soda in, oh , about 4 years. Here’s a weird thing, though. Since I have started Suboxone, my sugar cravings have blown through the freaking roof…..and so has my weight. It’s taken me a few months to get under control, but I was eating more health food store organic chocolate almond butter cups and other non-GMO, organic sugary snacks than ever. I went from 138 pounds to 162 in just a couple months. I’ve forced myself to cut the sugar and the weight is shedding again, but, man, I couldn’t believe it. And the crazy thing is, I run an average of 25-30 miles a week.

If anyone reads this, I’m curious, did you have intense cravings for sugar when you started suboxone?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:46 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thanks for the input, Steppnwolf. I agree on the sugar cravings. I crave sugar and salty foods at night and it's a craving very similar to opiate cravings. I'd say sugar is definitely addictive and in large daily amounts is a huge detriment to my health and well being.

I haven't yet cut back on ALL sugar and salt foods, but I've cut back, nonetheless. I only drink around 1 sugar soda a day now and that's upon rising. I drink a citrus soda cause I guess it's similar to orange juice and it gives me a slight rush which gets me up and moving. The rest of the day I drink filtered water. The closest step I've currently moved to consuming more veggies and fruits is in the form of a "Super greens" supplement I found at the grocery. It's got a lot of the beneficial micronutrients from vegetables and fruits that make us healthy. I'm not deluded to the fact that taking a super greens supplement is as beneficial as eating or drinking the veggies and fruits, but it's a start and better than nothing. Why don't I just cook and eat more veggies and fruits? Well, cooking kills most of the beneficial micronutrients they provide, so raw is BEST. I dislike most veggies, so juicing is the answer. Also, when juicing it's easier for the body to assimilate all the nutrients contained in the drink as opposed to eating. There are many benefits to juicing that would take to long to explain. When I get the money to buy a juicer, I'm gonna do a guided 28 day juice fast following Jason Vales "Super Juice Me" plan to see how good it will make me feel. Afterwards will be continuing to juice a couple times 2 day and eat the rest of my meals based on a vegan style diet. I'm planning to commit to this for 60 days and then assess myself afterwards.

If I could afford it, I would have a doctor do blood tests(liver function, cholesterol, A1C blood sugar, etc) on me before and after I begin my 60 day vegan diet to see how much my health improves. I'm excited, yet scared to embark on this journey, but it can only help me from everything I've researched. My diet now clearly isn't helping me feel better mentally or physically, so change has to happen!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I got a sweet tooth, too, so I hear you.

I posted a thread in Stopping Suboxone called detox strategy, which contains a link to a list of recommended vitamins and other supplements during opiate detox. The list contains a warning against consuming sugar (and also red meat, which apparently stimulates inflammation that will hit us hard after we jump).

Congrats on changing your diet, it will mean a lot.

-- ji