It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:07 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I recently switched to Suboxone under the impression that, "hey, I have been a pain patient for 2 years due a knee back injury, and now that my pain is going down, I don't really need full opioid medication." I was on approximately 150mg - 200mg of oxycodone per day and slowly tapering. I thought, maybe I should stay on something, because I do get severe back sometimes as I have been diagnosed with falied back syndrome. So, I opted to use the route of suboxone. I started at 16 mg's per day 4 times per day. Which controlled the pain moderaltey well. I then decided to try and reduce the dosage to 12 mg's, which I did. Then I reinjured my back, SEVERELY!!!

What happens now is, I have to take approximatley 400mg's of oxycodone to obtain any kind of pain relief whatsoever. This is ridiculous. Not to mention that it has taken a few days for the medication to even start working due to the long half life and high affinity of the Suboxone.

If you have any kind of injury and are considering the medication, DON"T. This med sucks for pain relief, and it RAISES
YOUR TOLERANCE TO A STUPID LEVEL (WHICH IS THE STUPIDEST THING I HAVE EVER HEARD FOR A PERSON WITH A PAIN PROBLEM). OF COURSE, SUBOXONE DOESN'T TELL YOU THAT YOUR TOLERANCE GOES THROUGH THE ROOF!!! THEN WHAT HAPPENS IS IF YOU HAVE REAL PAIN AND NEED MEDS, YOU EITHER (A) DON'T GET THEM, OR (b) YOU GET SOME MUCH MEDICATION THERE IS A VERY REAL POSSIBILITY OF DEATH WITHOUT ANY REAL DRUG ADDICTION BEHAVIOR. YOU ARE JUST TRYING TO GET PAIN RELIEF.

THIS IS THE WORST IDEA FOR A MEDICATION FOR ANYBODY WITH PAIN. IN FACT, I BELIEVE FOR ADDICTS THIS IS THE WORST MEDICATION. JUST GO THROUGH THE 5 DAY WITHDRAWAL OF THE SHORT HALF LIFE OPIOIDS AND STOP USING!!! IT'S WAY LESS EXPENSIVE AND SUBOXONE SUCKS IN EVERY WAY.

SUBOXONE MADE ME TIRED, AND DEPRESSED. IT GIVES YOU A CONSTANT HEADACHE. YOU MAY NOT GET CONSTAPATION AT FIRST, BUT AFTER A MONTH OR SO, IT COMES. SURE IT TAKES AWAY WITHDRAWALS, ALL SO THAT IN A MONTH OR A YEAR OR WHENEVER YOU DECIDE TO STOP TAKING THE SUBOXONE YOU WILL SUFFER WITHDRAWAL FOR PRETTY CLOSE TO A MONTH INSTEAD OF 5 DAYS.

IF YOU'RE SMART STAY AWAY FROM THIS AND METHADONE AS THEY ARE BOTH GARBAGE!!!

PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:33 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

:!: Please understand I do not want to debate or argue, but I wanted to voice my opinion and ask a question.

Long story short, SUB gave me my life back (that is a story for another time). What I do not understand about your post is that from what I understand (and I could be wrong) is that 12 to 16mg seems like a very high dose for pain management. Second, withdrawals last WAY longer than 5 days for most of us. And what does your pain management with Sub have to do with us using it as a means to end an addiction.

Again, please understand, I do not mean to be hateful or argue. I just don't understand what your pain management with SUB has to do with us using it to get control of out lives, no matter what means we have chosen for the end. We are not on Suboxone for pain management, but for addiction. Also i came to terms along time ago that if I am injured while on Sub, I may just have to deal with it, because I know that I will never be able to take narcotics again without it triggering a relapse.

Thank you and please remember this is just my opinion. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:20 am 

You sound pretty frustrated and I'm sorry you're in a difficult situation. I'm also sorry that the doctor who introduced you to suboxone didn't let you know that your tolerance would grow. Frankly, though, if you were able to taper your dosage of oxycodone, I don't see why you went on suboxone in the first place.

You also said: JUST GO THROUGH THE 5 DAY WITHDRAWAL OF THE SHORT HALF LIFE OPIOIDS AND STOP USING!!!

It's pretty obvious that you don't have a clue about addiction or you would know that following the above suggestion is not a realistic plan. The taper and withdrawal with suboxone may be much slower than from oxycodone, but at least it's doable. There was no way I was able to follow a taper plan with oxycodone because I'm an addict. The big advantage of suboxone is that it frees me from craving and obsessing over opiates.

I take your point warning people to be careful when taking sub for chronic pain. People who are not addicts probably have some better alternatives than sub.

Amy