It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Re: wow
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:06 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

[quote="smithjm"][quote="jonathanm1978"][quote="Jimmy"]Such a sad story.

Can't blame the parents without more info. How many of us told our parents we were walking to a friends house and get picked up around the corner to go party? We just don't know enough to place blame here, but ultimately the blame is on the girl for allowing herself to be injected on top of all the other drugs.

Correlation is not causation. They will likely never be able to determine which drug actually killed her. There is no proof that the suboxone caused the convulsions. Might have happened without the suboxone. Maybe just sitting her up caused the convulsions.

Easy to jump to conclusions but they're usually wrong.[/quote]

Oh, but the parents ARE to blame..without much further info at all. I'm sorry, but I'm the parent who KNOWS if my child leaves this house, they will be where they said they are going to be..because I know the people who will be picking her up, or who she'll be leaving with. If she's dropped off somewhere, I know the house she's going to be at, and I know the neighborhood she'll be in. Until WAY on up in years, my daughter only visits other family, and spends the night with a 1st cousin of hers..

And UNLIKE some parents, I can TELL when my daughter tells me a lie.

There's a HUGE difference between parents that care, and parents who feel like their kids are in the way. THOSE kids are usually the ones who have the time and access to drugs and parties...but there's NO way that me and my wife go off partying when my kids spend the night with other family.

If my daughter said she was walking to a friends house, I'd quickly respond "hell no you're not, what FRIENDS house is it?"...and if I DID by some oddball chance approve, then I'd tell her to get her happy ass in the truck and I'd take her.

I'm sorry, but this doesn't hold up for responsible parents who actually CARE about their kids. You can call me one of those "not MY child" parents if you want, but I'll be a part of my kids' lives until the day the set-out on their own...and I fully intend to still be a part of their lives..because I CARE. I won't watch my kids start down the paths that I went down in my twenties...[/quote]

THANK YOU AGAIN ="jonathanm1978,

I could not have said it better if I had said it verbatem.
I too was a kid that partied and had parents that did not care. etc, etc. and when I became a parent I was going to make sure I would not be a parent like that... WHY because I care about my kids.

So I made sure I knew where they were. I made sure I knew who there frinds where and I talked to them about what drugs and drinking can do to you.

I am proud to say I have two healthy kids who survived being teens:) and yes I feel that I had something to do with that.
LOL, so Jimmy would you say that I don't. If that girls parents did not have anything to do with her faults then I have nothing to do with my kids acomplashments.
What were they doing sneaking off and being good kids behind my back and doing their home work without me knowing it. I just had nothing to do with anything.
I for one know that kids lie to their parents, and sneak out and all that other stuff that you can talk about.... I wrote the book on it. I was one of those kids. But as parents it is our jobs to KNOW OUR KIDS AND TO KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON IN THEIR LIVES. So we know when they are giving us a line of B.S.

SORRY JIMMY I DON'T BUY IT.[/quote]
P.S. and because of I invaded my kids lives when they were kids they of course hated me. But today my 28 yr old daughter thanks me for being the mother that I was and she looks up to me as a parent. And my son, welll he is 18 so he's still in that snoty teen thing so I just got to give him time. Some day he will see that I love him and that is why I BUG HIM SO MUCH as he would say.

Bad things happen to good people and good people do bad things. But as parents it is our job to make sure our kids are not doing those bad things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I would say a 14 year old doing all those drugs and wanting to try heroin probably didn't have very attentive parents. However kids will do things behind a parents back and to think it won't happen in my view is quite naive. My parents were great and very attentive, yet I did things behind their back and lied at times. Sometimes I got caught and others I didn't. A parents role is extremely important and had I not been watched the way I was I could have gone down a very bad path. Teens are going to make mistakes but a parent should be there to prevent it from going to far.

Was this the parents fault? I think the answer is yes, our children are our responsibility and ultimately anything they do falls on us. I have great parents and there is no way in hell I would have been doing at 14 what this girl was doing. I have 4 young children and them becoming teenagers in today's world scares the shit out of me and my husband. Like said above I will be involved in my kids life and will know what they are up to.

You may have heard about the Christmas morning fire that killed 3 children and their grandparents. It is horrific and my heart breaks for the girl's parents but all I can think is where were they at 5am on Christmas morning? You couldn't pay me to be away from my children on Christmas and perhaps if their parents were home with them they would still be alive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:59 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yes it is true that things happen to good parents. But as you said Breezy_Ann, kids do things even when they have great parents as you said yours were. You still did things, BUT if you had the parents like I did well then maybe you would have had a very diffrent life. And some people are just stronger than others and it shows even at a young age of 14. Some kids are able to live in poor conditions and come out on top and others strugle just to make it out alive.

It is so sad about those kids and the grandparents who passed away in that fire.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Fu ... 25473.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ds-newsxml

From all the news I read the mother was home with her children. It was just a tragic accedent and maybe there were no smoke detecters. She was home with a boyfriend and her parents and three daughters. It is just so sad.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for informing me, I did not know the mother was home. Such a horrible tragedy, I honestly don't know how their mother is going on. I don't think I could go on if I lost my children. Especially knowing what a horrible death they had. Extremely sad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:13 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

We all do it and it even made me think twice about the story of the 14 yr old girl. I still go with my gut instincts on this one but who knows maybe it was one of those rare cases when the kid did this one thing, this one time, and the parents really did trust her because she was soooo trust worthy. Who knows?

I was with you on the fire as well then I decided to look it up and I felt terrible when I read the story. The mother was fighting the fire fighters to get back into the house to save her children and they would not let her back in and her father who was still in the house was trying to get his granddaughters out and fell through the roof and hit his head. The article says that you could hear her whaling with screams and crying because she just wanted to get back in to get her daughters. It is terrible.

I think that it is just human nature to want to hold someone or something accountable when a child is hurt or killed. It is just a terrible thing for children to be hurt or to die so young that we want someone to pay for it.

But this is not the time or place for those topics.