Could you feel your Sub dose?
Yes 52%  52%  [ 16 ]
No 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
Sometimes 35%  35%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 31
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So I posted earlier that I do not feel completely normal on sub and was wondering if anyone else had this problem. I wouldn't say I feel high, it's more of a calm relaxed feeling. But I do not feel completely sober. So I would love to know how all of you reacted to sub, even if you are now off it, I am wondering if I am the only one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I voted "no" in your poll, because I feel nothing when I dose. And I'm on what some would call a rather high dose (for pain). But I feel completely normal on suboxone. I do recall that first week or maybe less on it, I felt very oogely (my own word), but that subsided. I haven't felt a thing on it since probably my second week on it.

Breezy- are you comfortably above the ceiling? In order to feel nothing and have no ups and downs, one needs to be comfortably above the ceiling so the level of bupe is steady. Doses too close to or below the ceiling can actually cause one to feel their dose. Just wanted to throw that out there, too.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:21 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

While I feel "normal" - if there is such a thing - while I'm on Suboxone, I know from past experience that if I eventually taper off, I realise in hindsight that the way I felt on Suboxone was far from normal. It's just that what I feel while on Suboxone becomes my "normal", if you get what I mean.

Unfortunately given most of us have been on Subox so long, a lot of us have forgotten what it feels like to not have any opiates in our system. As a result, being on Suboxone becomes "normal". Only after stabilising after tapering off it I think can we have something to compare it with.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

When I took regular opiates, I got high. Let's say that's 100%.

I haven't had any opiates (or any narcotic) in my system for over 3 months now, let's call that 0%.

While on Suboxone, I would say I felt about 5% "high"......high is such a bad word for it though. I felt pretty much normal when I was on it. Once I did stop Suboxone, I noticed some areas of my life changing.....my sex drive went through the dang roof (thank goodness I have such an accomodating wife!!), my love for music rekindled......I did feel a little bit clearer too.

I know this, if I ever relapse hard I would get back on Suboxone pronto, even knowing that I wasn't completely myself while on it. Suboxone is not a perfect medication, there is no perfect medication, but it is a kick ass medication in my book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Maybe I'm just one of those people who only feels normal with an opiate in their system, but I feel MORE "normal" now than I ever have.

BUT, that said, I think it's even more important to look at the bigger picture. Back before my addiction (all of our addictions, in my opinion this applies to all of us), I was so much younger - a completely different person. Someone who's had major depression and PTSD (and the traumas that led to it) and have been treated for it, with both talk therapy and meds, and then addiction thrown in. Plus like everyone, I had YEARS of growing up and the normal changes a person goes through as they age and gain wisdom, etc. So how can I possibly compare pre-addiction, active addiction, on suboxone, and off suboxone all to some theoretical "normal" state when so many things have changed that are all variables that can't even be quantified? I think that's something no one is considering.

That's just how I see it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah I think it is kick ass too and have no regrets that I started sub. I was just under the impression you were supposed to feel nothing and in my case that turned out to not be true. I wouldn't call it high either, but its something. Like I said I don't even mind the feeling, I just have been feeling a bit guilty lately because I feel like I am cheating or something. Don't get me wrong, I am happy to be on sub because it sure as hell beats the alternative! Thanks for sharing your experience tearjerker, I can relate to what you are saying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I remember feeling that guilty feeling too. I know exactly what you're talking about. I got something off of my Suboxone, but at the same time I was supposed to be in recovery......it can get confusing, but like you said, it sure beats the alternative and I think keeping that in mind helped me to not worry about it too much. In fact, I tried abusing my Suboxone (by taking more than I should, I never shot it or anything like that) and even then I wasn't too worried about my behavior. Suboxone doesn't have that "come get more NOW!!" feeling to it like blow or OxyContin. Like many of us talk about, I don't think I was addicted to Suboxone, I was dependent and there's a big difference between those two.

This is an interesting topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah, I have found the results of the poll quite surprising, I guess I am not the only one. Out if the 8 people that have voted only one said no they do not feel anything. When I put that out I thought it would be the opposite!

Post subject: Sometimes.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:38 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

hatmaker510 wrote:
Maybe I'm just one of those people who only feels normal with an opiate in their system, but I feel MORE "normal" now than I ever have.

BUT, that said, I think it's even more important to look at the bigger picture. Back before my addiction (all of our addictions, in my opinion this applies to all of us), I was so much younger - a completely different person. Someone who's had major depression and PTSD (and the traumas that led to it) and have been treated for it, with both talk therapy and meds, and then addiction thrown in. Plus like everyone, I had YEARS of growing up and the normal changes a person goes through as they age and gain wisdom, etc. So how can I possibly compare pre-addiction, active addiction, on suboxone, and off suboxone all to some theoretical "normal" state when so many things have changed that are all variables that can't even be quantified? I think that's something no one is considering.

That's just how I see it.

I voted "sometimes."
It depends upon an array of contributing factors,
particularly the dose.

But I totally relate to what Hatmaker says in the above quote;
just like I've also said in another post,
I have only ever felt "normal" (the way that I define "normal")
with an opiate/opioid in my system.
And, I believe that everyone's definition of "normal" could very well be
different- according to their own experiences, treatment, etc.
So, I can see how it would be challenging to actually quantify what "normal" really is.

-ex-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah, I get the normal thing and I am not so much talking about acting and thinking normal. I meant I feel like I have taken something, as in sober and non sober I guess. It's nothing like Oxy but I do have a mild feeling kinda like it. Also my addiction only lasted 9 months on oxy so I remember how I felt when I was completely sober with no opiates in my system and it is not how I feel now. Everyone changes as time goes on and i am not the same person i was even 6 months ago. I also understand everyone's different but for me I do not feel completely sober and feel a little foggy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I voted yes, my dose did not get me high and I was on 24mg at one point 32mgs it just made my calm and relaxed like very very weak valium I would say but no felling of any opiate I have every taken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:56 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I voted no. My thoughts about this are in-line with Hats on this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Bboy, yes you described the feeling much better. Like a mild valum feeling. I didn't know how to describe it except calm and relaxed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Normal is a cycle on a washing machine.

Sorry. Couldn't resist! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:47 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

i voted yes because i feel exactly the way i wanted to when i was a miserable addict(hated that feeling) all i wanted was to be be clean and i am. one prob though is now i try to solve other issues with a pill fix it all type of mentality. like sleep or energy highs and lows otc or getting the dr to give me something to sleep. i am trying hard to break this way of thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:10 pm 
I voted yesterday and didn't have time to elaborate until now. I voted "yes" but I need to clarify a little bit. I believe your topic was called something like "Do you feel normal....?" But then your actual poll question was something like "Do you feel your dose....?" I find myself almost having a different answer for each question. I do not believe that I feel my dose....never have in over two years of taking Sub. However, I do believe that I am altered in some way while on Sub, so my answer to the question as to whether I feel normal on Sub would have to be "no."
Here's the thing I want to be as clear as I can be about.....Although I can't say that I feel completely normal on Sub, I feel a whole lot more normal than when I was on full agonists. I don't feel any sort of 'high' on Sub and do not feel that it truly impairs me in terms of judgment or ability to function.....at least if it does it so very minimal that I don't feel it's significant. However, I understand that we are all different. I do have a long period of adult life with no substance abuse. Although all of this is quite subjective.....I know what I felt like before I abused opiates, I know what I felt like immediately after starting Sub, how I felt on a steady maintenence dose, and now I know what I feel like to be almost off Sub (0.25mg/day) and for me, there is absolutely a difference. I also have to factor in that prior to my opiate abuse, I had no history of mental illness and no history of any other exposure to psych meds nor any other drugs of abuse (other than occassional etoh use.) So I agree with the others who have said that this is a very interesting topic and that it is a discussion which is going to be very subjective in nature. After all, what exactly is "normal!?" We all may see it differently.
Also, as others have said, I agree that Sub is a wonderful drug. Whether it's used as a permanent maintenence tool for those who are more "normal" on it, or as a temporary tool for those of us who feel we were/will be again more "normal" if we're able to come off of it, I hope that Sub continues to be an option for everyone who needs it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for your post set me free, and I agree with you. I typed the title and then typed my post and then the poll, so i guess i had forgot what i put in the title. They are 2 different things. I also agree that i do not feel impaired to where I feel it would get in my way, but I do feel a bit different than I did being completely sober of all opiates. It is actually a good feeling and if my intention was to stay on sub indefinitely I wouldn't even mind it, I mean who minds feeling good and relaxed. But staying on opiates long term just isn't for me so I sometimes think that I need to feel like I am going to feel so I can learn to deal with this. Again I am not jumping tomorrow or anything, just some thoughts that have been swirling around in that crazy brain of mine!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:48 pm 
Hey everyone! I'm BRAND NEW to this forum and my introduction will be forthcoming in the appropriate venue. I was really interested in this question, though, and wanted to try to do my best to try to answer it. I take generic Subutex for addiction as well as pain management and dose 2-3 times daily with 12-16mg being my total daily mg. As both an opioid addict and a person who has chronic pain issues, my life without some type of opiate is depressing, nerve-wracking and close to unlivable. I haved tried complete abstinence coupled with NA for periods of time (really, really, really trying to 'just work the program.') Something was missing for me, though, as when I wasn't having good old fashioned intense cravings just for addictions sake, I was experiencing pain to the point that all I could think about was taking something Contin to control pain. The first time I took Subutex (2mg) I couldn't believe how quickly it obliterated withdrawal symptoms and made me feel good. I don't say 'feel normal,' because as I said normal to me means being a broody, moody, angry, sad, crippled guy. Buprenorphine makes me normal in that I can function in society to a much greater, more normal degree than me minus Subutex. Do I 'feel my dose?' Yeah, I guess I do; there is a euphoria in knowing that I have a medication, finally, that makes me feel better than bad, minimizes cravings for opioids and controls low-level but chronic pain while still allowing me to act and function like a human being. All hail Buprenorphine!

Like I said, some introductory info on me will be forthcoming. I look forward to becoming an active member here!

-TPN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Travis,

Welcome to the forum!!

I enjoyed reading your take on the poll question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome, Travis! I also take sub for both addiction and pain control. I even take about the same dose as you do. How does the sub work for your pain? For me, it doesn't make it disappear completely, but it does make my life tolerable, and when one lives with chronic pain, that's about as much as I expect. I honestly don't anticipate ever living a life pain-free again....that's just how my pain conditions are. So sub works for me and allows me to stay out of active addiction. Much like you, I'm guessing. Anyway, again welcome and I'll be looking for your introduction thread. :)