It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Did well Last Time
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:05 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi, I have recent threads that explain what I am going through. I made the decision to be off pain meds( again). I was on suboxone last year in May, tapered to about .25mg, went off for about 5 days, then had foot surgery and got back on oxycodone 15mg then went up to 30mg 4x aday. Doc told me to taper the oxy instead of going on sub because I had gotten off hydrocodone before by tapering( a few years ago). Well, I am struggling- I am feeling very agitated, especially when I get up, depressed, not motivated. She cut my script in half and it is way too much of a cut-back. I feel that maybe the suboxone route would be better for me. Last time I had no trouble getting down to that .25mg-.375mg level. Right now all I want to do is increase my dose of oxycodone to take away ill effects( not good). How about going on short term suboxone use. Induce on the smallest effective dose for me, then begin an immediate slow taper over 2-4months. Last time I tapered down to .25mg in about 6 months, maybe that would be the right way for me. My big concern is that it seems harder to taper for me off of the oxycodone then the suboxone. Or it maybe that she cut me in half which was way too fast to taper me on the oxy. I have had to take some of my 10/325 percs to feel ok in between taking the 15mg straight oxycodone. This just sucks, I made this decision because I do not want to be on any opiate at all but am trying to do get off them the best way. I can not take anytime off of work right now, so I need to do some sort of gradual taper. Suboxone or tell doc to increase my oxy and do a slower taper? Romeo and TD, you both kind of know whats up with me, do you think going on suboxone short term (like 2-4months works?) Feedback from anyone would be appreciated. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Justdoit,

Sorry you're having troubles. Tapering from SAOs is really hard, although not impossible for non addicts, but hard nonetheless. I do feel your doctor did you a disservice by cutting your script down so drastically early on but it is what it is. At least you tried? I definitely think it was worth the try since your goal is to taper no matter what. It would be easier to taper down on suboxone since the half life is longer but you're still going to have days where you don't have as much energy and are agitated. If you've really given this a shot then I'd suggest trying another method that may work for you. We have to do whatever it takes.. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Post subject: my experiance..
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:36 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

this is just my experiance...

about 3 years ago in an iop program, i went into the program still using. I too was scared of the W/D's. my counselour told me to start tapering down from the oxy's and it really just felt impossible. I would tell him that I used less and less each time I saw him but was lieing about it. thinking about it now, he knew I was a addict and that my drug of choice at that time was opiates, and I feel it was just silly to even expect me to do something like that. and yes i was sick of the life i was living but still, just could not seem to do anything about it.
fast forward to march 4th of this year.
I went on suboxone
The doctor gave me a script for 16mgs a day, and i knew that i did not need that much. so first day on it, i took 8 mgs. within a week i want to say i was at 4 mgs, and the next say about 2.5 months i was able to get to 1mg. i stopped recently, 26 days ago. but i want to add, that i only beleive this was possible for me by working steps in AA, talking with my sponsor, going to IOP and talking about it, this website, having friends that i could talk to that have been through it, and most importantly God.

so i guess to answer your question with an opinion..
maybe it is possible for you to taper off of the pills, but it will require some honest work, this shit aint easy espicially if your an addict like me.
I was able to use subs for 3 months to help get my mind right before i quit taking them and i felt that the severity of the W/D that i felt was far less than any opiate W/D i have ever had... but still again I put in a lot of work with other addicts to get help through this.

so whatever you decide to do, i beleive in you that you can do it, but i would strongly consider getting a network together of sober addicts that can be there for you to help get you through this.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Thanks-
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:06 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks, I see the doc this week ( I think), i will have to check. I am going to let her know what i am going through and see what she says. I believe a support system in place is always good, whether like for me it is counseling, meetings, this web-site, whatever. I have gotten a lot out of listening to addicts, its the main reason I want off this roller coaster because I see myself getting on and I do not want to go there. Unfortunately I am allready physically addicted and need to do my best to get off this stuff. Until I am fully off I wont even know how hard the mental part for me will be now. I did taper off hydrocodone and was off it for at least a year( my whole pill use has been on and off for the last 4.5 years?) Anyway, I love all of the feedback, I really trust what everybody says because your experiences are real, I will keep posting on my progress.

Post subject: did ok today
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:19 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Wow, I only did 50mg today and am doing well. I was real busy at work and that was real helpful. Its much harder when you sit around and do nothing to taper off this stuff. I am hoping this is the beginning of a successful taper. I will keep posting, I hope you guys will follow along with encouragement and helpful advice, I really like the support on this web-site. Ciao P.S. 50mg is good since I was used to doing 120mg!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That's great! Keeping busy certainly does help. A lot of the symptoms during the tapering process (no matter what we're tapering from) are in our head. Sitting around allows us to think we're feeling worse than we really are. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Tinydancer said, "A lot of the symptoms during the tapering process (no matter what we're tapering from) are in our head. Sitting around allows us to think we're feeling worse than we really are."

True Dat!!

Post subject: not bad
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:30 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

hi, not too bad again today, I did take 50mg taday and will maybe need to take 5mg so that sleep is not so bad. I am going to let the doc know that I think the 50% decrease was a bit extreme, I really dont want to take more, yet I think a 25% taper the first month would have been better. Thanks for the support

Post subject: am update
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:30 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

got up this morning feeling not too bad, waited about an hour and a half and took 15mg, going to see how long i can go with that in my system. I actually like the challenge of seeing how long i can go before I need to take anymore. Is that weird or what? Really, for me its like being competitive in a sport and I am trying to kick the oxycodones ass! The physical dependency is truly a hard thing and I know now that I am now going to have to deal with the mental part as well. I have a lot of respect for those here that have gotten drug free. The worst part for me is that my doctor has told me that my pain issues with my foot are going to be hard to manage because of my job. She respects any decision that I make, to be on pain pills or not to be on them. I made this decision, I want to see if I can manage my pain without narcotics. I will do this one way or another even if the taper takes several months to be successful, I am committed. Can anybody tell me about any non-addictive medicine that helped them with pain. I have severe arthritis in my left foot, I am trying to avoid surgery where they actually will be fusing 2 or three joints in my foot where the bones are almost bone on bone. I have really expensive shoes as well as custom orthodics. I will ask the doc this week about alternative medicine, thought I would ask the true experts which to me are the people here. Anyway I work today and I am going to see exactly how many hours I can go until I really need anything! Keep posting with me you people are great!

Post subject: I am in pain
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:15 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Wow, I have managed to get somewhat stable at 60mg a day from 120mg in a short time(oxycodone) IR. What I mean by that is that I am not having bad WD'S from cutting my dose in half so quickly, some problems , but manageable. My big problem is, the pain, I am in, with my foot. I really did not know how well the oxycodone releived that pain I was in when I was taking 30mg every 6 hours. I wish someone could give me some advice about this. I am going to try using lidoderm patches during the day while I am working, to see if that helps. The doctor told me that this is where it will get hard for my situation because of my job and I am on my feet all day. I have severe arthritis in my left foot that will eventually need bone fusion. My thinking is that I do not want to be dependent on taking the pain medication my whole life, that, to me, does not make sense. I allready know that as you keep taking it your tolerance goes up and then I hear all the horror stories about being hooked and feeling like crap. Well, I am just going to have to try different things. Any advice? How do people out there control their real pain issues without narcotics? What works? Just learn to live with pain? Not just everyday aches and pains, I mean pain that totally drains you from the fatigue it causes. Feedback? Suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:34 pm 

My suboxone doctor recently gave me some Nucynta for pain that my sub didn't cover. Nucynta) is a centrally-acting analgesic with a unique dual mode of action as an agonist at the μ-opioid receptor and as a norepinephrine re-uptake inhibitor.

There is little to no euphoria from taking Nucynta and I recommend that you ask your doctor about it. I think it would be much easier to taper from. It comes in immediate release and extended release.

Nucynta is a narcotic, but I do suggest you at least try it to see if it affects you less than other opiate medications.

Amy

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:39 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Amy, Thanks, I see the pain doc on 07/02. I will ask her about this medication, thanks