It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:53 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been on suboxone for 12 days and am down to 1mg once a day. I had a moment of weakness and took a couple perc 30s for last 2 days. Will this set me back far? I plan on taking 1mg again tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Im sorry,,,,,,,,,,, I may be way off base here, but the thing IS

MOST people, take suboxone to 'recover' from their addiction for awhile, depending on how severe your addiction was. like sometimes six months, a year, sometimes forever. Whatever, right?

basically, get NEW skills to deal with things, THEN taper.

so if you've been on suboxone Twelve DAYS and had a moment of 'weakness'
whats gonna happen when your OFF alltogether????????

Sorry, Im just being honest.

If you need help getting a doctor, I have links I can give you for that.
If you'd like to LEARN more about suboxone, I can give you links for that too.

As far as your original question.........

Im just not sure what the point is.

Again, I apologize. I WANT to help you.
so let me know HOW I can
ok???
welcome, by the way.
I think if you choose to stick around you could find a lot of support and people going thru the same thing you are, or that have been thru it.

thanks for listening. I truely am only trying to help....................
hope to hear from ya :wink:

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Donny123 wrote:
I have been on suboxone for 12 days and am down to 1mg once a day. I had a moment of weakness and took a couple perc 30s for last 2 days. Will this set me back far? I plan on taking 1mg again tonight.

[font=Comic Sans MS]Hello there Donny123 and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear that you slipped up already, but dont be too hard
on yourself. It's happened to a lot of us.

I have a couple of thoughts and questions so that we can better help you. First of all I want to know what your original
dose was, since you said that you are "down to 1mg once a day". What are you down from? Typically, it takes about
4mg to saturate the receptors, which is going to alleviate cravings. If you are only on 1mg per day, then it makes
perfect sense that you are having cravings.

What dose does your doctor have you on? I would advise that you talk to your doctor and see what they say. It's just
my opinion that 1mg isn't a high enough dose to cover your cravings this early on in your maintenance program.
Which leads me to my next question...How long do you plan on staying on sub? Long term? Short term detox?
If you could answer some of these questions, it would better help us, to help you.

Again, don't beat yourself up over the slip up, just keep moving forward. Take care~[/font]

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I started at 4mg a day for the first 2 days then went down to 2 mg a day for the next 5 days then dropped to 1 mg for 5 days. I am afraid of being on the sub too long and then having trouble getting off the sub. That's why I dropped fast to 1mg. I have heard so many people say that it's not good to be on the subs long term. There are so many different opinions out there that it's hard to know what is the right thing to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

your right.........it IS HARD to know what the right thing to do is.

Everyone is different. there's alot people around here, that HAVE tapered off suboxone, after being on it long term.
I dont think theres ANYTHING easy about opiate addiction. ANYTHING.
maybe getting hooked??? that might be the ONLY easy part.

So, you have to wiegh the pros and cons. many people are sucessfull STOPPING other opiates, while on suboxone therapy, and able to put thier lives back together, so to say. Thats what Ive been able to do,,,,,,,,
work at the same job well over a year, now Im a supervisor....LOL
moved outta my shithole apartment,
AND, got 7K worth of dental work done. (also go to counseling, parenting classes. all kinds of stuff like that)

would I have been able to do these things w/o suboxone? maybe, but my chances were slim to none. I tried, many, many times before suboxone.
and maybe that was just my 'path'
we all have different ones.
and I dont think any ONE answer is wrong, if it WORKS for you.

So, it's really your decision,
but, I was just pointing out, that your not very 'far' into this, and have already had a slip.
and that happens, im not saying if you have a slip your a failure, BY ANY MEANS,
im just saying,
what's gonna happen when the suboxones GONE???????

you know?
you should find LOTS of support, like some kind of support group, counseling, people to lean on.
your gonna need it, even WITH suboxone.

Hope this helps.

That's TRUE STRENGTH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

http://suboxonetalkzone.com/why-do-some ... enorphine/

heres one of the doc's blogs on longterm/short term therapy

That's TRUE STRENGTH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Heya... I'm sorry you had a slip up. I've had a few of those as well while on Suboxone, so I know how it feels...

I agree with Amber though that you need to ask questions about whether it's time to taper. I'm of the belief that I need at least 6-12 months without using before I should even consider reducing off Sub. I also feel that short-term Suboxone treatment should be reserved for those people who have never relapsed before, and who want to attempt total abstinence to see if they are capable of achieving an opioid-free life without needing long term Sub treatment. The vast majority of people aren't in this category however, because most people only turn to Suboxone / methadone once they discover they can't stay clean on their own. The only people that are in this group usually have a very short opioid addiction history - ie a few months tops - and have yet to make addiction their modus operandi / mode of operation.

The other group I think short-term Sub is useful for are those people who have already achieved a long period of clean time, and already have support systems in place and have already learned how to live a normal life free of opioids. I'm talking about the people who go to 12-step meetings / SMART meetings and have been clean for over 1 or 2 years ... who slip up and use for a couple of weeks before deciding to get back on the horse. These people already have the tools and the knowledge, they just need a lil while on Sub to break the addiction circuit and get them back into their recovery routine.

For the rest of us, I think we need time enough on Suboxone to learn how to live a normal life without using before tapering off. And the BEST way to know if you're ready to reduce and live without Sub is to stay clean for a long period while on Sub. If you cannot achieve that then it may be worth reconsidering.

As for how much your slip has made things harder in the taper. I've found that the amount of fall-out / pain you get from using while on Sub / between doses is relative to how much of an effect you got off the drugs you used. ie if you took just enough Percocet to prevent yourself going into Sub withdrawal then went back on Sub, you would likely not suffer any withdrawals or need an increased dose of Sub to get by. It's when you get a high from the opioids that you start to need to increase your Sub dose, or feel some withdrawals if you take the same dose of Sub as before. ie a person on 12mg Suboxone who takes Oxy for a few days, enough to get an effect over their Suboxone tolerance, the use of Oxy will push up their tolerance and they'll either (a) feel some withdrawals a few days after taking their 12mg Sub again or (b) need to take a higher dose of Sub to match their higher tolerance (which may not help if they're at their ceiling effect anyway). But if they took just enough Oxy to keep themselves out of withdrawals, then theyve only taken enough to match their tolerance and the transition back to the 12mg of Sub will be smooth.

So how much "fall-out" you'll have from this slip depends a lot on how much of a buzz you got from the Percocet. And given your tolerance would have been low (on 1-2mg Sub) you probably didn't need too much Percocet to get a buzz.