It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I guess another reason I brought this topic up is this....it seems when folks drop by and telll us about their side effects, a lot of us split into two groups, the folks who have no issues with Suboxone and the folks who are or had issues with Suboxone. Tearjerker posted an interesting view of the people who aren't having any issues with their Suboxone treatment, to sum it up, he basically said they get defensive, then those of us who did have issues get defensive back and insist that we're not crazy, that we were indeed feeling what we were feeling.

That's all fine and dandy, but sometimes what we say in our posts doesn't do jack-shit to help the original poster.

Wouldn't it be nice if we actually had some suggestions to help these folks who are having side-effects??

One of the most popular complaints about Suboxone are the headaches and for the most part, we've got a good answer to help people out......spit out the Naloxone.

Personally, my anxiety was getting to be a problem on Suboxone, but I had completely forgot that I've had this stupid ass social anxiety ever since I was a little dude. Suboxone didn't cause it, I've always been that way.

Another thing I've heard many talk about is the tendency to eventually start isolating ourselves......that's classic addict behavior. Suboxone may not be "really" causing that, it may just be our underlying addiction doing that.

I know a lot of times, for certain symptoms or side-effects, we suggest that folks try a lower dose. Suboxone is one powerful medication, it's my personal belief that some folks symptoms are due to the high dose because we hear from so many people who are tapering how much better they feel when they drop their dose.

Look, I'm no saint here, I've thrown my hat into the ring during a few of the "Suboxone debates", all I'm saying is we have this kick ass forum here, we can REALLY help people if we're able to take an honest look at Suboxone, the good, the bad and the ugly, come up with some possible solutions for the bad and the ugly and then we can give some of these members who are having issues advice.

By far, the most popular topic of this whole forum is "Stopping Suboxone" and MANY of those folks are stopping because of a side-effect that they can not get to go away, it'd be nice if we could help them stay on Suboxone, if that's what they want, by helping them with an answer to their side-effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
Another thing I've heard many talk about is the tendency to eventually start isolating ourselves......that's classic addict behavior. Suboxone may not be "really" causing that, it may just be our underlying addiction doing that.

This is what I've been saying!!! People have to at least LOOK at other contributing factors. It's foolish to ignore everything else.

As for helping and supporting people with their side effects and whether to stay on or go off sub when they want to, umm, we DO that. Yes, sometimes moderation is necessary because people insist on not following the rules. But that certainly does not discount the other 95+% of good that ALL of us have done in supporting the people who come here. None of us is perfect and as addicts, it's a pretty safe bet we all are pretty sick (technically we are mentally ill), so incidents with people not getting along do happen, but I think overall the people on this forum do come through and help people out regardless of whether they personally agree with that person or not. I know I have and do all the time. So, while yes, there may be a small minority of people where unfortunately the conflict overtook everything including that OP's needs and that's just wrong. But it's a very small minority and I don't believe it negates what we've done for each other the rest of the time.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, for sure we do help a lot of people, it'd be nice if we had a few more suggestions to give people who are getting side effects, though.

A friend of mine, from this forum, quit Suboxone a good while ago, but is now back on drugs. Looking back, I can now see how some of his side effects were really his addiction, not so much Suboxone. This person never told anyone else about his addiction and never told anyone he was on Suboxone, the shame of addiction drove him to do that and thus, he was pretty much alone in his fight. He started isolating pretty bad, again, blaming Suboxone.....I think this was his addiction too. One more thing that always bothered me is he wanted to post more, but he didn't want to start arguements about Suboxone and side-effects, so he stayed on the side lines or stayed away from the forum altogether.

Just wondering what we could have done different to help him. Understanding his side effects and having some suggestions he could have tried may have helped?? I don't know?? I'm just wondering aloud.

I'm pretty sure he's gonna end up back on Suboxone for another go of it.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Unless we post in the same thread, I don't see your posts so I don't imagine you see mine, but after taking a bit of a break from here lately, I'm back and have spent the better part of the last three days doing almost nothing but posting and helping people (also via PM) with their dosing issues as well as those who are BRAND new to sub who are having side effects. I've been doing everything I can to help one particular person get through this because this person really wants to give sub a try. So really, Romeo, I just want to stress that we DO do this every day!

Anyway, as you were saying....

I always thought we needed another category just for discussing ADDICTION (or the dynamics of addiction). I think it would also encourage more dialogue about our addiction and what it means for us to live as addicts/recovering addicts. It might also show us we have more in common with each other than we think AND it might provide more "active" recovery for a lot of us.

Remember, Romeo, when we did that "What is addiction?" thread? We put it under the "Anger" category, partly because we had nowhere to put it, but remember how much discussion that thread jump-started? It also helped a lot of people understand some things about themselves as well as addiction in general. We referred a number of family members to that thread to help them understand their loved ones. Hell, I still refer people back to that thread. I think we should talk MORE about those things, because I think it would help contribute to what it is you want to achieve...INCREASED help, support, and guidance to new members. It's not the very same thing you are talking about, but I think it can help to achieve it and help the quality of the forum and support we offer to people.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah, I like the idea of a category for discussing Addiction. The "What is Addiction" thread did generate a lot of interest, there are obviously people who want to understand themselves and their addiction better.

Maybe having that category would encourage further discussion amongst us addicts and help us all to understand addiction and some of its symptoms better, thus allowing us to provide even better advice and support to forum members.

Maybe someone on Suboxone who's having some issues with it would be able to glean some helpful information from these discussions too, that would be great.