It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm bored at work on this beautiful holiday weekend (at least I still have my job though :) ) so I thought I'd introduce myself.

I've been on Suboxone since Oct. 2007. I started my treatment as part of a research study for Probuphine - buprenorphine implants that are meant to deliver a constant dose of bupe for 6 months. Unfortunately I either got the placebo or the implants just didn't work, so I left the study and transferred to regular Suboxone treatment.

By the way, if you need treatment and are broke, look for research studies. I know a buprenorphine patch is in development, and there might be Probuphine or other trials going on. I got free care, free meds and some financial compensation for my time.

I've been slowly tapering off Sub for quite a while now. I wanted to give my brain a lot of time to acclimate to opiate-free life. I'd probably stay on Sub longer, but my insurance wants me off and I'm a poor college student, so I'm going to give it a try. Worst thing, I'll just go back on and pay my way - but my doc thinks I'm a good candidate for getting off, so I'll give it a shot.

I'm using a liquified-Sub taper method, but I already have a thread about that so I won't get into it here.

My Drug of Choice was Dilaudid, and Oxy if I couldn't get Dilaudid. I used hydrocodone for a long time before that, off and on, because of chronic and acute pain issues. But it was unlimited access to cheap Dilaudid that finally brought me down. In a way I'm glad, because my desperation got me searching for a way to get well and I found Suboxone. Since I've been on Sub, I went back to school and finished my Associates degree, fixed a lot of my life, and started getting work as a writer which was a life-long dream.

If you want to know more about my story, I have a blog: Diary of a Quitter, the link is in my profile. I also post at The Second Road's Blog.

Nice to meet ya.