It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:35 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I just wanted to start a thread here on a suboxone related forum where I could talk about what's going on with my detox and to gain some extra support and advice and to have a place to express my anxiety to people who will understand.

I just spent an hour writing this post and realized it turned into a fucking essay that nobody will probably want to read lol so basically i've been on maintenance for two years and i'm 20 years old. I started using opiates when i was 16.

My dosage was 16mg a day and I am currently at 4mg a day. I'm trying to be detoxed by January as I have an amazing job opportunity presenting itself to me, if I follow my current schedule I will have 2 weeks at 0mg of Suboxone, minus christmas day, by January 1st. I know that if I receive the job the start date will be some time in January.

I've been working with my doctors to bring me off, when I hit 0 they said they would give me clonidine, Tramadol, and possibly Librium depending on how badly I can't sleep, that was the concoction they gave me when I first came to the clinic but after a relapse and near suicide attempt they suggested suboxone. It worked wonders in my life and helped me achieve many goals over the last two years.

After two years clean I did relapse a few months ago on pot, it's been a double edged sword as it always was and although addiction is addiction no matter how you spin it or the drug you take, I have never gone back to opiates and I just want this to be over. I'm just hoping that if nothing else helps, when I'm a raving fucking lunatic twitching and sweating in my bed, emptying my bowels every 5 minutes, and not eating a single thing all day or getting a wink of sleep that getting stoned will bring me some comfort and take the edge off at least enough to where I can get a meal into my stomach without wanting to vomit in my plate when i look at it.

I'll stop here, there are plenty more details to add and i'll be giving plenty of updates and checking this regularly but I'll wait for questions so I don't write a bunch of stuff nobody wants to read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Solvaring and welcome! Thanks for sharing your story with us. It's always good to hear another positive experience with suboxone. It sounds like you made the most of it during your time on it and now you're ready to fly without a net, so to speak.

I'm glad your doctor is working with you and has set you up with comfort meds, especially the clonidine. I will caution you though, to go from 4 mg all the way down to 0 in only a month is a pretty damn fast taper. You're going to feel it. It's too bad you don't have the time to slow down and do a proper, slow taper. You'd have much less in the way of withdrawals. But, I get that you're working with a timeline here.

Like I said, the comfort meds will help. Also, try to remember to get some exercise and activity each day. You certainly won't feel like it, but it'll the best thing for you. It will release your own natural endorphins and that's exactly what you'll need. Even if you just go outside into the sun for a 10 minute walk - just do something. The more distracted and busy you are the less discomfort you will feel. If you stay home on the couch, you'll be more miserable than if you're busy with your mind occupied on something else.

My best to you on your taper and on the job. Keep us posted. :)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi, Solvaring. I'm glad you found this forum.

Hat gave you some very accurate feedback that is certainly in line with my experience. Like she said, going from 4 mg to 0 by January is really a fast taper. It took me nearly a year to get off 8 mg. At first, I just wanted to get done, but then I started to realize that there wasn't as much of a short cut as I thought there was by pushing it, and by taking it slowly, it gave my body and mind time to adapt. Going too fast can be a little scary, to be honest. If you go slowly enough, it is not nearly as scary. So, that leads me to wonder why you need to be done by the time you start this job. I completely believe that a person can taper off Sub and work a full schedule, so long as they are willing to be diligent about slowly going down. I'm just wondering if the job is presenting the deadline or if you are setting that deadline.

Let me tell you, when I 'jumped' off Sub, I felt very, very little. I jumped at 1/16 mg. It was so worth the time it took, because I've had such minimal symptoms compared to many people since stopping Sub, and I was on Sub for nearly 6 years. I also was on doses of up to 32 mg over that time period, so to me, 4 mg seemed like so very little. It wasn't until I got to the really 'low' doses that the light bulb went on. For me, 1 mg was a tough place. It's just not a linear thing, but it's so very doable. I'd love to hear that you have more time than this. Of course, if you don't, it is still doable. Your initial detox will be more uncomfortable and your PAWS may be more severe, but it is still doable if you need to do it.

Good luck!

laddertipper

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:03 pm 
Solvaring wrote:
I just wanted to start a thread here on a suboxone related forum where I could talk about what's going on with my detox and to gain some extra support and advice and to have a place to express my anxiety to people who will understand.

I just spent an hour writing this post and realized it turned into a fucking essay that nobody will probably want to read lol so basically i've been on maintenance for two years and i'm 20 years old. I started using opiates when i was 16.

My dosage was 16mg a day and I am currently at 4mg a day. I'm trying to be detoxed by January as I have an amazing job opportunity presenting itself to me, if I follow my current schedule I will have 2 weeks at 0mg of Suboxone, minus christmas day, by January 1st. I know that if I receive the job the start date will be some time in January.

I've been working with my doctors to bring me off, when I hit 0 they said they would give me clonidine, Tramadol, and possibly Librium depending on how badly I can't sleep, that was the concoction they gave me when I first came to the clinic but after a relapse and near suicide attempt they suggested suboxone. It worked wonders in my life and helped me achieve many goals over the last two years.

After two years clean I did relapse a few months ago on pot, it's been a double edged sword as it always was and although addiction is addiction no matter how you spin it or the drug you take, I have never gone back to opiates and I just want this to be over. I'm just hoping that if nothing else helps, when I'm a raving fucking lunatic twitching and sweating in my bed, emptying my bowels every 5 minutes, and not eating a single thing all day or getting a wink of sleep that getting stoned will bring me some comfort and take the edge off at least enough to where I can get a meal into my stomach without wanting to vomit in my plate when i look at it.

I'll stop here, there are plenty more details to add and i'll be giving plenty of updates and checking this regularly but I'll wait for questions so I don't write a bunch of stuff nobody wants to read.

Do not let anyone, ANYONE make you feel guilty for smoking marijuana. There is nothing morally reprehensible amount smoking a joint. It won't kill you, it won't hurt anyone else. I am pretty certain it won't even hurt you..I just hesitate to make a generalization..so smoking is bad, but eating it won't hurt you at all :)

You are getting off buprenorphine, an OPIATE. Something that is much harder on your body than some THC. Don't let weed run your life. It is only a "relapse" if you believe it to be..for me, if I am not hurting myself or anyone else and it is not controlling my life, then who cares? It brings me comfort, without putting me on the streets dealing with sick and dangerous people, or without keeping my friends and family awake at night wondering if I'm safe. Also, just because someone may claim that hitting a bowl today will have you hitting a needle tomorrow..well, that is pretty silly. It reminds me of that SNL skit with the guy stabbing a joint into the crook of his arm (:

That being said, it can bring you great comfort during your detox period. Trying to come off opiates is so, so hard. Anything else is a lesser evil, IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:32 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Well everyone, I am down to 1mg and doing alright. The job opportunity fell through but I did get a chance to schedule a meeting with the hiring manager. I haven't done that yet but he offered to go to lunch to talk and figure out how he might use my skills to his advantage. (I work in I.T.)

Originally my deadline was a mixture of my own anxiety and my parents, since I live at their house. I basically asked them for a couple months of having to do nothing except come down and they agreed to that since they once had to come off speed so they know what withdrawal from something can be like. I've put work on hold for a tad longer to finish my detox. I'm trying not to take any longer than a few more weeks.

I've been feeling pretty okay otherwise. I just wanted to let people know I'm still going. I'll give a fuller report when I have more time to write.

Take care everyone.