It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:33 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello,

I know this is probably not the right forum about this topic, but I didnt find good forum on the net. So I decided to ask here for some opinions.
I have a friend who try to detox from substitol- slow-release oral morphine (SROM). She was on heroin like 5 years in the past, but then doctor recommened her substitol (SROM), probably is similar like Suboxone, dunno. All I know about this "medical" drug was produced in Austria (Europe). She toke this around 8 years. But also she tryed to stopped this medical drug without success. She wished a lot to detox and getting off from SROM, so she chosed a risky method to get off from this. Using heroin for around 2 or 3 weeks and then detoxing from heroin with major plan to getting of substitol.

Something telling me this could be dangerous and I dont know much of this. Even if i know her pretty much, still I wonder a lot about this all and dont know much of this all. So I would be glad if someone will tell me experiences about this all.

Thank you very much for possible advice or answer.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm currently detoxing off oral morphine, extended release. I imagine it's similar. I tried and failed at tapering but I wish I had tried again and succeeded. I opted for a 17 day detox taper using Suboxone. Started at 4 mg and tapered to 1.5 and jumped yesterday. It hasn't been fun and it wasn't the painless experience that lots of posts brag about.

I would encourage your friend to work with the doc who started the morphine and work out a long taper plan, like dropping 10% each month.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

From everything I've read substitol is in other countries similar to our methadone, or suboxone, given to addicts on a daily basis in a clinic type setting as a medication assisted treatment for addiction.

I've read about people using short acting opiates to detox from suboxone or methadone, but it's usually highly advised not to use this method. It's pretty dangerous from what I read. And it makes sense, because if a person couldnt taper or stop using their drug of choice in the 1st place, and started a methadone/suboxone/or other medication assisted therapy, what would make this time different? In other words, what makes said person think they could escape the grip of these drugs this time? Imo, it's playing with fire. I agree with above poster who said that if your your friend wishes to stop taking substitol, they should do a long slow taper, under the close supervision of their doctor.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:15 pm 

Lolipop,

You are very correct to be concerned. It is a dangerous way to try to get off any opiate. Never, ever, ever, would a sane person recommend heroin for detox. In the U.S. & many other countries we have Suboxone or Buprenorphine in some form or another.

I'm agree with both members above me. She needs to be medically supervised and have some sort of recovery program to follow or it is bound to fail. We addicts are just not geared to quit so easily. It is a battle hard one with many aches and pains in the road.

Best wishes for her/his recovery,

rule