It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:41 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Does anyone know the rate of deterioration of the suboxone sub lingual strips after the foil envelope seal has been breached? I ask this because I've been saving the small clippings while tapering down and suspect that some of the leftover pieces from the 2 mg strips when tapering below the 2 mg have lost their efficacy. I can't figure out any other logical reason that at 1.25 mg I experienced withdrawal-like symptoms even before my usual dosing time. Then, when the .25 mg pieces were freshly cut, those symptoms were non existent hours after the dosing time had passed. Anyone know about this? Anyone else experience this? Am I asking a question that is so old and solved so long ago that I sound stupid? Do I sound stupid, regardless? Can someone direct me to any official studies or literature indicating the deterioration rate? Even hunches of agreement or disagreement are very appreciated. Thank you kind people. I be in thine debt. (of course).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:36 am 

You don't sound stupid! :)

I just think that people don't know the answer to this. Hopefully someone will come along who does!

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:16 am 

I cant give you the rate, but i do have pieces i take at the end of each week that seemingly work fine.
Your clipings are much smaller than the 2mg pieces in dealing with, however ive found even after months have gone by the color will change, the film may dry abit, but i feel med works fine.
You are using smaller doses so it is possible you arent getting full effect..

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:17 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you that I don't sound stupid. (I actually AM, but I'm glad I don't sound that way!). About the deterioration rate …… I asked my prescribing doctor. She didn't know. That was surprising, but she said she'd find out for me. Here was the answer she got from the consulting doctors involved with the pharmaceutical company: There have been no studies. I.O.W. They don't know. And why should they? If they knew, it would make it easier for people to get off the damn stuff without terror of the deeps. In fact: :idea: since the strips are evidently evenly dispersed with the active ingredient, it would be logical and quite easy for them to print the things with measurements on them. Wouldn't that be convenient! Or, listen to this: they could even stamp them out with perforations so we could tear them accurately. OR, they could put out strips that are less dense and larger, so it wouldn't be so hard to tear or cut them into teeeensy weeentsy little pieces once we get below one mg. After all, the little clippings I cut off of the .25 mg pieces must contain less suboxone in them than the error margin when I cut or tear them. What is up with this?! The only solution I can think of is to put the suboxone strip on a flat surface, get out a rolling pin and …… My answer, as well as the answer of the prescribing doctor, is that the manufacturer wants to make it as difficult as possible to get off the stuff. It's a bottom line thing. See? We are the defenders of their bottom line! And that just makes me feel like I felt after this last election. Wait. Oh, yeah. Not everyone thinks the way I do. Sorry. Yes. I'm a bleeding heart lefty pinko liberal. So sue me. NO, WAIT! DON'T!!! It won't do you any good suing me. I'm completely broke. This means that you can't get blood out of a bleeding heart liberal (pinky lefto) (lefty pinko). Now I have to apologize for hypergraphia. I can't stop writing. (I have happy fingers). Thanks for the advice and your contributions.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:01 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Lol I felt pretty defeated after the last election too actually. It's reasonable to be worried when so much of one party is in control.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I tapered very low over a long period of time using mostly 8mg strips (Only one 2mg strip at the very end to get really small doses). I would be taking tiny pieces from the same cut up strip for months with no problems. I kept the opened pieces of cut up strips in a small air tight container.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:58 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I've detoxed from 8mgs, down to 1mg now and haven't noticed any deterioration in the efficacy of the strips, or tiny pieces, though they do dry out. I am switching to the 2 mg now because I can barely see the tiny pieces I'm trying to cut on a 1/8 of an 8 mg stripe. You have the best idea..stamping smaller measurements on the strips or perforations. Of course, the makers are not going to do anything to make it easier for us to get off..their profit is based on us staying on for life. My original sub dr. put me on 16 mgs for a 20 mg methadone habit I had for a year (down from 160 mg methadone due to chronic pain). Couldn't kick those last 20 mg. He said I had to stay on for life (I'm 59). Found a new dr and she's helping me detox off. She said she would have put me on a short acting fentanyl patch for a month and detoxed off that with a quick short one-two week suboxone detox. I guess it's different for pain patient and addicts, but at this point, trying to detox for close to two years...we are dealing with the same issue. This is one hard drug to get off of..the detox symptoms for me, are killer. But slow and steady.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Juphin wrote:
I've detoxed from 8mgs, down to 1mg now and haven't noticed any deterioration in the efficacy of the strips, or tiny pieces, though they do dry out. I am switching to the 2 mg now because I can barely see the tiny pieces I'm trying to cut on a 1/8 of an 8 mg stripe. You have the best idea..stamping smaller measurements on the strips or perforations. Of course, the makers are not going to do anything to make it easier for us to get off..their profit is based on us staying on for life. My original sub dr. put me on 16 mgs for a 20 mg methadone habit I had for a year (down from 160 mg methadone due to chronic pain). Couldn't kick those last 20 mg. He said I had to stay on for life (I'm 59). Found a new dr and she's helping me detox off. She said she would have put me on a short acting fentanyl patch for a month and detoxed off that with a quick short one-two week suboxone detox. I guess it's different for pain patient and addicts, but at this point, trying to detox for close to two years...we are dealing with the same issue. This is one hard drug to get off of..the detox symptoms for me, are killer. But slow and steady.

Hi Juphin

I am also a chronic pain patient, around you age, who got seriously hooked on pain pills, suboxone was my last hope to end the nightmare and it has worked.

My questions to you are 1) if you couldn't get off the last 20 mg of methadone how will you get off the suboxone after the fent patch? 2) how will you treat your pain "after" ?

When you try to stop what are they worst symptoms?